Need Help chosing printer please!

gonkie

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
pls tell me, what type of inkjet printer is the best one with about $300 budget? but not epson please.... thx alot guys!

smitbret

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
Canon i860 or Canon i960, depending on whether you're going to use it more for text (i860) or photos (i960). Just my opinion. Why do you not like Epson?
-Brett

gonkie

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
i didn't prefer epson coz i hear that it has a high maintenance cost, especially for ink ( canon n hp got a lot of good refill in market )
my fahter want to use it mostly for text, but i often use photosop, so maybe i want to check out i960, thx anyway

smitbret

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
The i960 is a little slower and the text and graphics aren't quite as sharp, but photo quality is incredible. The i860 does a much better job with text and graphics and still makes some very good photo prints. Sounds like you may want to grab the i860.
-Brett

lkh

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
Why not consider HP 7960? MicroCenter sell it for $183, and there is $50 mailin rebate(only for 7960) at HP website.

bobmitch

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2002
I read this post a few times...and I have to tell a short story. I have owned Epson printers since 1995. Stylus Color 800, 900, 980 and now the Stylus Photo r300. In all the time...I have never lost a printer. Always reliable and quality was great.

Now, with that said. The Stylus Photo r300 is my first "real" photo printer. And I have to say that every time I print a photo out of my Olympus C-750 camera..this printer absolutely "blows me away". Is it more efficient with ink...I say no better or worse than the HP or Canon that I test drove before my purchase. Is it better or worse than the Epson r800??? Perhaps NOT...granted...to achieve the quality of the r800 it prints slower...but again...the end result is what you put in and how you adjust to get it there. Slam Epson all you want...the pictures are truer in color. The actual detail in each picture is amazing. I think you are "shortchanging" yourself if you don't at least go to a CompUSA, or any other store that carries the full compliment of printers and compare for yourself.

BTW...a Canon rep was the one who convinced me to purchase the r300 over his i960 or the r800. He felt that dollar for dollar...the r300 delivered the most quality and quantity.

Just my two cents worth...

Bob

smitbret

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
True, I currently use an Epson Photo Printer, but the guy said he wanted something besides Epson. The ink is a little more expensive than the Canon, but I agree, the output is excellent. My only problem is that here in the dry climate where I live, the heads tend to get clogged if you don't print somethinge every few days. I waste a lot of ink on head cleaning. Haven't seen that happen so much with the Canon. Maybe I oughta just get a humidifier.
-Brett

gonkie

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
ok ok, thanx for all information :) i know that epson have the best quality, but i believe if we use the right program to edit some photos + the right printer setting, every printer had almost same quality