Hard button to enter short text?

Tags:
June 18, 2004 3:26:50 PM

I'm looking for a hack or other utility that will allow me to press a
series of hardware buttons or alternatively to make one penstroke, to
enter a short text phrase.

There are plenty of utilities that allow you to switch applications
with a pen-stroke, but I'm looking for one that will type out a word.

My company software requires a password to see your schedule on the
palm, and requires you to re-enter the password every 30 minutes. I'm
trying to find a way to enter the password without having to pull out
the stylus.

Any thoughts? Thanks for your help!
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 10:34:19 PM

Chuck wrote:

> I'm looking for a hack or other utility that will allow me to press a
> series of hardware buttons or alternatively to make one penstroke, to
> enter a short text phrase.
>
> There are plenty of utilities that allow you to switch applications
> with a pen-stroke, but I'm looking for one that will type out a word.

How about two pen strokes? You could use a shortcut. Use some single
letter one with a really simple graffiti stroke like "A". Then you
can enter whatever text you want with just the roller-coaster-loop
and a rooftop. Definitely possible to do with a fingernail if you
don't want to grab the stylus. (I just tried it.)

- Logan
June 19, 2004 12:48:39 AM

On 18 Jun 2004 11:26:50 -0700, Chuck wrote:

> There are plenty of utilities that allow you to switch applications
> with a pen-stroke, but I'm looking for one that will type out a word.
>
> My company software requires a password to see your schedule on the
> palm, and requires you to re-enter the password every 30 minutes. I'm
> trying to find a way to enter the password without having to pull out
> the stylus.
>
> Any thoughts?

If the company software has really good security it won't permit
alternate input methods. (I've run into this on desktop software).
You can do a simple test that will give you an idea if it's
possible. Type the password into a memo or the text field of any
app. and copy it. Then start the company software and try to paste
it when the password is requested, preferably the first time so you
won't have to wait another 30 minutes. If <CMD-stroke>-P fails to
paste anything you may have to get used to frequently re-entering
the password.
June 19, 2004 1:37:47 AM

In article <LAGAc.1593$1L2.1046@fe1.texas.rr.com>,
Logan Shaw <lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> wrote:

> Chuck wrote:
>
> > I'm looking for a hack or other utility that will allow me to press a
> > series of hardware buttons or alternatively to make one penstroke, to
> > enter a short text phrase.
> >
> > There are plenty of utilities that allow you to switch applications
> > with a pen-stroke, but I'm looking for one that will type out a word.
>
> How about two pen strokes? You could use a shortcut. Use some single
> letter one with a really simple graffiti stroke like "A". Then you
> can enter whatever text you want with just the roller-coaster-loop
> and a rooftop. Definitely possible to do with a fingernail if you
> don't want to grab the stylus. (I just tried it.)
>
> - Logan

And there is ShortCut5 which allows much longer phrases (requires Palm
OS 5). You use a "Dot" and 1 or more letters to trigger a ShortCut5
MACRO.

All the *5 apps are very nice

Bob Harris
Anonymous
June 19, 2004 3:19:53 PM

Bob Harris <harris@zk3.dec.com> aszonygya:
:In article <LAGAc.1593$1L2.1046@fe1.texas.rr.com>,
: Logan Shaw <lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> wrote:
:> > I'm looking for a hack or other utility that will allow me to press a
:> > series of hardware buttons or alternatively to make one penstroke, to
:> > enter a short text phrase.
:> >
:> > There are plenty of utilities that allow you to switch applications
:> > with a pen-stroke, but I'm looking for one that will type out a word.

Plug...plug...plug...

pScripting via pToolSet will do it for you. /Paul [pedit - LapTopHack -
pToolSet - superFinderHack]
Anonymous
June 19, 2004 3:23:45 PM

alt.usenet.this.newsgroup aszonygya:
:o n 18 Jun 2004 11:26:50 -0700, Chuck wrote:
:
:> There are plenty of utilities that allow you to switch applications
:> with a pen-stroke, but I'm looking for one that will type out a word.
:>
[...]

Wrong. pScripting via pToolSet will allow it even if pasting is disabled. It
can imitate typing/Graffiti.

Of course, your company may forbid you to install pToolSet or any other 3rd
party item. Well, you can always change jobs.

/Paul [pedit - LapTopHack - pToolSet - superFinderHack]
June 19, 2004 7:18:52 PM

Paul,

your PToolSet looks like an amazing piece of software. I read through the
manual and couldn't figure out how I'd use the software to accomplish this
task. Could you give me a little direction?

Thanks!

"Paul Nevai" <nevai@math.ohio-state.edu> wrote in message
> Bob Harris <harris@zk3.dec.com> aszonygya:
> :In article <LAGAc.1593$1L2.1046@fe1.texas.rr.com>,
> : Logan Shaw <lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> wrote:
> :> > I'm looking for a hack or other utility that will allow me to press a
> :> > series of hardware buttons or alternatively to make one penstroke, to
> :> > enter a short text phrase.
> :> >
> :> > There are plenty of utilities that allow you to switch applications
> :> > with a pen-stroke, but I'm looking for one that will type out a word.
>
> Plug...plug...plug...
>
> pScripting via pToolSet will do it for you. /Paul [pedit - LapTopHack -
> pToolSet - superFinderHack]

June 19, 2004 9:15:56 PM

On 19 Jun 2004 11:23:45 GMT, Paul Nevai wrote:

> If <CMD-stroke>-P fails to
> :p aste anything you may have to get used to frequently re-entering
> :the password.
>
> Wrong. pScripting via pToolSet will allow it even if pasting is disabled. It
> can imitate typing/Graffiti.

Not wrong at all. You just need an English refresher. Notice
where I said "you may have to", not "you will have to". If your
pToolSet does what Chuck wants it to do, his company's security
officer would be dismayed to learn of it, but Chuck would be happy.
Let's hope his employer doesn't play an important role in homeland
security. :)

> Of course, your company may forbid you to install pToolSet or any other 3rd
> party item. Well, you can always change jobs.

Secondly, you should have said "your company" instead of "his
company" and "you can always change jobs" instead of "he can always
change jobs". This reply of yours was a bit strange. Apart from
the cryptic intro. line "alt.usenet.this.newsgroup aszonygya:",
you've apparently combined replies to posts from me and Chuck into a
single reply. Was this the result of a simple mistake on your part,
or was it due to a buggy macro not doing what was intended?
!