Handset Repair?

My Sprint handset, Qualcomm 2760 and 4 1/2 years old, no longer
transmits. I can dial a number or somebody can call me and I can hear
them but they can't hear me.

What is the deal/procedure on getting this repaired or replaced?

"Arnie Goetchius" <arnie.goetchius@att.net> wrote in message
> My Sprint handset, Qualcomm 2760 and 4 1/2 years old, no longer
> transmits. I can dial a number or somebody can call me and I can hear
> them but they can't hear me.
>
> What is the deal/procedure on getting this repaired or replaced?

It won't be repaired Arnie ... it's too old, and outdated ... Best thing to
do is replace it with a newer model. Depending on what plan you are on now,
you may be eligible for $150 mail in rebate ... per the following link.

http://pcshandsetupgrade.sprint.com/

Make sure you read all the fine print and if you have any further questions,
post them here.

Bob

Bob Smith wrote:

> "Arnie Goetchius" <arnie.goetchius@att.net> wrote in message
>
>>My Sprint handset, Qualcomm 2760 and 4 1/2 years old, no longer
>>transmits. I can dial a number or somebody can call me and I can hear
>>them but they can't hear me.
>>
>>What is the deal/procedure on getting this repaired or replaced?
>

> It won't be repaired Arnie ... it's too old, and outdated ... Best thing to
> do is replace it with a newer model. Depending on what plan you are on now,
> you may be eligible for $150 mail in rebate ... per the following link.
>
> http://pcshandsetupgrade.sprint.com/
>
> Make sure you read all the fine print and if you have any further questions,
> post them here.
>
> Bob

Thanks. I checked that site and I'm not eligible for the rebate since I
only pay $17-18$ a month, not the $35 a month that they require.

I have the TXCKT03A-1 hands free attachment for this phone and that part
works okay. Therefore, I suspect a broken wire or cold solder joint in
or near the microphone. Do you think if I took it to a Sprint store that
the technician would not even look at it because it is so old?

If it can't be repaired, I guess I'll just use it as a car phone.

Arnie Goetchius <arnie.goetchius@att.net> wrote:

> sprintpcs.com has rebates but you need a minimum service of $35/month.

That's pretty standard across the industry. If you're spending less, the
carriers don't have much incentive to subsidize a phone for you as they are
going to lose money on the sale of the phone and not make much of the
purchase price back by billing your monthly charges. (Unless you're roaming
a lot, but it'd be beyond foolish for them to assume that you are.)

I do hope you are able to get some help fixing your 2760 and would like
to hear about your experiences down the road, if you wouldn't mind.

Steven J Sobol wrote:
> Arnie Goetchius <arnie.goetchius@att.net> wrote:
>

> I do hope you are able to get some help fixing your 2760 and would like
> to hear about your experiences down the road, if you wouldn't mind.

I'll let you know. I just may buy a Torix screwdriver and take a look at
it my self.

There are a couple of Sprint 2760's for sale on eBay for under $10. You
could buy one of those if you can't repair yours.

Frank Harris wrote:
> There are a couple of Sprint 2760's for sale on eBay for under $10. You
> could buy one of those if you can't repair yours.

Good idea! there are quite a few available. If I buy one, does Sprint
have to deactivate the old one and activate the new one? Do they charge
for that?

> Bob Smith wrote:
>
> > "Arnie Goetchius" <arnie.goetchius@att.net> wrote in message
> >
> >>My Sprint handset, Qualcomm 2760 and 4 1/2 years old, no longer
> >>transmits. I can dial a number or somebody can call me and I can hear
> >>them but they can't hear me.
> >>
> >>What is the deal/procedure on getting this repaired or replaced?
> >

> > It won't be repaired Arnie ... it's too old, and outdated ... Best thing
> > do is replace it with a newer model. Depending on what plan you are on
now,
> > you may be eligible for $150 mail in rebate ... per the following link.
> >
> > http://pcshandsetupgrade.sprint.com/
> >
> > Make sure you read all the fine print and if you have any further
questions,
> > post them here.
> >
> > Bob
> >

> Thanks. I checked that site and I'm not eligible for the rebate since I
> only pay $17-18$ a month, not the $35 a month that they require.

Arnie, are you on the Pioneer plan still?

Bob

Bob Smith wrote:
> "Arnie Goetchius" <arnie.goetchius@att.net> wrote in message
>
>>Bob Smith wrote:
>>

>>>"Arnie Goetchius" <arnie.goetchius@att.net> wrote in message

>>>It won't be repaired Arnie ... it's too old, and outdated ... Best thing

>>>do is replace it with a newer model. Depending on what plan you are on
>
> now,
>
>>>you may be eligible for $150 mail in rebate ... per the following link.
>>>
>>>http://pcshandsetupgrade.sprint.com/
>>>
>>>Make sure you read all the fine print and if you have any further
>
> questions,
>
>>>post them here.
>>>
>>>Bob
>>>

>>Thanks. I checked that site and I'm not eligible for the rebate since I
>>only pay $17-18$ a month, not the $35 a month that they require.
>

> Arnie, are you on the Pioneer plan still?
>
> Bob

I don't know what is called but I get 30 minutes a month for about
$17/mo. I have had that since dec 1999.

Steven J Sobol wrote:
> Arnie Goetchius <arnie.goetchius@att.net> wrote:

> I do hope you are able to get some help fixing your 2760 and would like
> to hear about your experiences down the road, if you wouldn't mind.

Sprint PCS store would not even look at it. They wanted to sell me a new one
but I don't qualify for any discount because I only pay $17/mo

I purchased two 2760's on Ebay for $10 and hopefully at least one can be
activated without any charges due.

I also bought a Torx #6 and if the above does not work, I'll have plenty of
spare parts to work with.

Uh, oh, Arnie. I may have led you astray. Now I remember reading here
that since the advent of WLNP (Wireless Local Number Portability) Sprint
was now only activating phones whose firmware allowed for WLNP. This
means the phone can hold a second, possibly different, identifying
number other than its phone number.

Someone once posted here that they wanted to activate some old phone and
Sprint refused. I don't know if the practice varies per store, or if
you just try to do an ESN swap online at activate.sprintpcs.com it will
tell you a particular handset is not eligible (even though your old 2760
"works").

Back when I had a Samsung 3500, which I think originally came out at the
same time as the 2760 (fall 1999), it went thru several firmware
upgrades, one of which included WLNP support. When you try to use
activate.sprintpcs.com to a 3500, it asks you to check the firmware
version to see if it qualifies.

This page
http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=9
says the latest firmware for the 2760 is HG1.0.20. I don't know if it
supports WLNP, or if your local Sprint stores still have the cable on
hand to upgrade a 2760 to HG1.0.20. To check yours, press Menu-6-6
(Display,Version)

There's always that Torx #6...

> This page
> http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=9
> says the latest firmware for the 2760 is HG1.0.20. I don't know if it
> supports WLNP, or if your local Sprint stores still have the cable on
> hand to upgrade a 2760 to HG1.0.20. To check yours, press Menu-6-6
> (Display,Version)

I have HG1.0.04 and that is what it came with. It will be interesting to
see what the ones I get come with.

> There's always that Torx #6...

I bought a Torx kit at Radio shack for about $14. Paid more for it then
the phones!

"Frank Harris" <frankbhX@XcompuserveX.com> wrote in message news:ce0g8k$8ft$1@ngspool-d02.news.aol.com...
> Uh, oh, Arnie. I may have led you astray. Now I remember reading here
> that since the advent of WLNP (Wireless Local Number Portability) Sprint
> was now only activating phones whose firmware allowed for WLNP. This
> means the phone can hold a second, possibly different, identifying
> number other than its phone number.

Since the firmware in the phone isn't significant to WLNP,
I'd prefer to believe that Sprint merely is no longer activating phones
incapable of supporting 3G voice.
Of course, I don't know if 2G refusal is a fact, but it's plausible.
---JRC---

My phone is 2G. For back up purposes, I have 3 copies of the same
model. I have switched since portability was available.

John R. Copeland wrote:

> "Frank Harris" <frankbhX@XcompuserveX.com> wrote in message news:ce0g8k$8ft$1@ngspool-d02.news.aol.com...
>
>>Uh, oh, Arnie. I may have led you astray. Now I remember reading here
>>that since the advent of WLNP (Wireless Local Number Portability) Sprint
>>was now only activating phones whose firmware allowed for WLNP. This
>>means the phone can hold a second, possibly different, identifying
>>number other than its phone number.
>>

> Since the firmware in the phone isn't significant to WLNP,
> I'd prefer to believe that Sprint merely is no longer activating phones
> incapable of supporting 3G voice.
> Of course, I don't know if 2G refusal is a fact, but it's plausible.
> ---JRC---

> This page
> http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=9
> says the latest firmware for the 2760 is HG1.0.20. I don't know if it
> supports WLNP, or if your local Sprint stores still have the cable on
> hand to upgrade a 2760 to HG1.0.20. To check yours, press Menu-6-6
> (Display,Version)
>
> There's always that Torx #6...

End of story. Success! I took the "new" 2760 to a local Sprint store and
they re-programed it to work with my cell phone number with no problem.
They did not have to do an upgrade to make it work.

Thanks for your ebay suggestion. It worked.

Arnie - Glad to hear your story had a happy ending!