Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

EA disables fatigue online because of their own bug - Is t..

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 3:24:07 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

Bert, from VG Sports posted this email from an EA representative:

_____


Guys,


I appreciate all the reports of this serious exploit. We, through your help,
have identified a game play issue regarding formation switches on offense
that could affect the fatigue level of the defense. This issue would affect
both online and offline play.


This issue can be resolved in one of two ways. The first is to turn fatigue
off; when this option is off, the issue can not be observed or exploited.
The second is to audible to your original play (audible L2) if the offense
shifts; while this works, it makes it very difficult to make pre-play
adjustments, as the audible resets any adjustments.


For online play, we will be patching the servers and disabling fatigue, so
that this issue will not be used as an exploit online. This change will be
made tomorrow morning at 1 AM PST for both the Xbox and PS2 servers. The
update will be invisible to users and will not require a client side patch.
Online games will still show fatigue as "on" but it will really be off.
While this isn't a perfect solution, we felt it was the best way to counter
the exploit.


We have also modified the settings at the Madden Challenge events and
alerted the staff to this so that this issue can not be used as an exploit
in the events.


We wanted to make you aware of this so you could inform your members for
their normal offline games, and wanted to take this chance to thank you for
helping identify this issue and bringing it to light, the power of the
community really helps make Madden the great game that it is.


Be sure to send me any questions.


Thanks,


Nathan Fahrenthold
EA SPORTS Community Producer
---------------------------------------------

Lame
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 1:14:34 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

>
> Lame

What's lame? Lame that they listen to the customers or, more likely, you
calling them lame?

Jonah Falcon
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 1:14:35 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

Lame that online games will say fatigue is on but it will be off. So now you
can use hurry up offense all you want with no reason not to. Do you mean to
tell me that you are defending EA for keeping a huge bug in their game? Or
do you just want to be a prick and argue for nothing.

"Jonah Falcon" <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:_pgZc.3$Wv5.1@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>
>>
>> Lame
>
> What's lame? Lame that they listen to the customers or, more likely, you
> calling them lame?
>
> Jonah Falcon
>
>
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 2:36:12 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

fredrickson wrote:
> Lame that online games will say fatigue is on but it will be off. So now you
> can use hurry up offense all you want with no reason not to. Do you mean to
> tell me that you are defending EA for keeping a huge bug in their game? Or
> do you just want to be a prick and argue for nothing.
>
> "Jonah Falcon" <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> news:_pgZc.3$Wv5.1@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>
>>>Lame
>>
>>What's lame? Lame that they listen to the customers or, more likely, you
>>calling them lame?
>>
>>Jonah Falcon
>>
>>
>
>
>

I'm curious what would you have them do?

I'm sure it is not patchable via an online update, so I'm not sure what
you expect them to do for this.

There are a lot of issues in ESPN that could use a patch as well, but
they won't be pathced because they can't be from an online update.
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 8:00:01 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

"Dan S" <dan@work.com> wrote in message
news:qZlZc.40151$4c3.1898@fe43.usenetserver.com...
> fredrickson wrote:
> > Lame that online games will say fatigue is on but it will be off. So now
you
> > can use hurry up offense all you want with no reason not to. Do you mean
to
> > tell me that you are defending EA for keeping a huge bug in their game?
Or
> > do you just want to be a prick and argue for nothing.
> >
> > "Jonah Falcon" <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > news:_pgZc.3$Wv5.1@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> >
> >>>Lame
> >>
> >>What's lame? Lame that they listen to the customers or, more likely, you
> >>calling them lame?
> >>
> >>Jonah Falcon
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
> >
>
> I'm curious what would you have them do?
>
> I'm sure it is not patchable via an online update, so I'm not sure what
> you expect them to do for this.
>
> There are a lot of issues in ESPN that could use a patch as well, but
> they won't be pathced because they can't be from an online update.
>

-patch it so that we can still use fatigue in unranked games (and police the
glitch on our own, ban glitchers from leagues, etc... it's very obvious when
it's used, and very easy to overcome by resetting your defense)

-patch it by removing the formation shift option completely when playing
online

-patch it so that you can't call any type of audible until your team is set
at the line

-patch the glitch itself (multiple formation shifts coming out of the huddle
causes the defense to fatigue completely)

Any of those would have been better than a blanket patch to turn off fatigue
online. That's just lame and has turned Madden 2005 into an arcadish joke.
:( 
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 8:00:02 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

Jonathan Diehl wrote:
> "Dan S" <dan@work.com> wrote in message
> news:qZlZc.40151$4c3.1898@fe43.usenetserver.com...
>
>>fredrickson wrote:
>>
>>>Lame that online games will say fatigue is on but it will be off. So now
>
> you
>
>>>can use hurry up offense all you want with no reason not to. Do you mean
>
> to
>
>>>tell me that you are defending EA for keeping a huge bug in their game?
>
> Or
>
>>>do you just want to be a prick and argue for nothing.
>>>
>>>"Jonah Falcon" <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>>>news:_pgZc.3$Wv5.1@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>>>
>>>
>>>>>Lame
>>>>
>>>>What's lame? Lame that they listen to the customers or, more likely, you
>>>>calling them lame?
>>>>
>>>>Jonah Falcon
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>I'm curious what would you have them do?
>>
>>I'm sure it is not patchable via an online update, so I'm not sure what
>>you expect them to do for this.
>>
>>There are a lot of issues in ESPN that could use a patch as well, but
>>they won't be pathced because they can't be from an online update.
>>
>
>
> -patch it so that we can still use fatigue in unranked games (and police the
> glitch on our own, ban glitchers from leagues, etc... it's very obvious when
> it's used, and very easy to overcome by resetting your defense)
>
> -patch it by removing the formation shift option completely when playing
> online
>
> -patch it so that you can't call any type of audible until your team is set
> at the line
>
> -patch the glitch itself (multiple formation shifts coming out of the huddle
> causes the defense to fatigue completely)
>
> Any of those would have been better than a blanket patch to turn off fatigue
> online. That's just lame and has turned Madden 2005 into an arcadish joke.
> :( 
>
>

You're assuming any one of those things can be done. Since turning off
Fatigfue is an option when setting up a game online (I assume from
reading the 1st post) then it is not really hard for them to implement
that fix at the server level.

Everything you mention would requiring patching the game itself, which
may not be possible. I have no idea, I am just saying that the fix they
implemented is a quick / easy fix and requires no code update.

So while I don't disagree that it is a terrible problem and a bad fix. I
don't think people can expect somethign more, as it may not be possible
short of fixing it and sending out new disks.
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 11:26:11 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

"Dan S" <dan@work.com> wrote in message
news:fKmZc.39917$p9.37569@fe47.usenetserver.com...
> Everything you mention would requiring patching the game itself, which
> may not be possible.

They've patched nearly every other XBox Live game in some fashion, I don't
know why EA games would be any different, especially since NCAA and Madden
2005 were their first attempt at XBL support.

The fix they did at the server level was clean and easy for them, they could
have made it more user friendly by only locking it to fatigue "off" for
ranked games though.
September 1, 2004 11:30:21 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

On 9/1/04 2:26 PM, in article
nnpZc.25067$w_4.2406277@twister.tampabay.rr.com, "Jonathan Diehl"
<jbdiehl@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:

> "Dan S" <dan@work.com> wrote in message
> news:fKmZc.39917$p9.37569@fe47.usenetserver.com...
>> Everything you mention would requiring patching the game itself, which
>> may not be possible.
>
> They've patched nearly every other XBox Live game in some fashion, I don't
> know why EA games would be any different, especially since NCAA and Madden
> 2005 were their first attempt at XBL support.
>

Then it's probably because EA is still loyal to PS2 overall. I assume
that's why they didn't give Xbox gamers better graphics. I'm sure they do
not want to provide a fix for the Xbox and leave the PS2 gamers empty
handed.

Jayhawker
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 11:30:22 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

Jayhawker wrote:
> On 9/1/04 2:26 PM, in article
> nnpZc.25067$w_4.2406277@twister.tampabay.rr.com, "Jonathan Diehl"
> <jbdiehl@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>>"Dan S" <dan@work.com> wrote in message
>>news:fKmZc.39917$p9.37569@fe47.usenetserver.com...
>>
>>>Everything you mention would requiring patching the game itself, which
>>>may not be possible.
>>
>>They've patched nearly every other XBox Live game in some fashion, I don't
>>know why EA games would be any different, especially since NCAA and Madden
>>2005 were their first attempt at XBL support.
>>
>
>
> Then it's probably because EA is still loyal to PS2 overall. I assume
> that's why they didn't give Xbox gamers better graphics. I'm sure they do
> not want to provide a fix for the Xbox and leave the PS2 gamers empty
> handed.
>
> Jayhawker
>

It is entirely possible that EA's code is not set up to facilitate
patches. I mean would you be surprised if that is the case.

Look I am not defending EA, I'm just saying some things are not
patchable via Live. Look at ESPN, are they going to deliver a patch
which fixed the franchise problems and DB AI? I know people have said
they would, but I have no seen VC say they would.

Look at ICS, that game is in dire need of a patch, don't think it is
going to happen.

On the flip side EA better come up with a better solution, this is not
good timing on their part. ESPN is still selling well, lotos of people
were blown away by the eye candy in ESPN and add this problem to Madden
which not only affects online play but the Madden challenge and it's not
a good problem.
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 5:42:58 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

This kinda sounds like the Microsoft's fix for 3D Accelerator problems with
the OS.

Disable 3D Acceleration - LOL!

"fredrickson" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
news:EgbZc.44813$N11.41585@bignews5.bellsouth.net...
> Bert, from VG Sports posted this email from an EA representative:
>
> _____
>
>
> Guys,
>
>
> I appreciate all the reports of this serious exploit. We, through your
help,
> have identified a game play issue regarding formation switches on offense
> that could affect the fatigue level of the defense. This issue would
affect
> both online and offline play.
>
>
> This issue can be resolved in one of two ways. The first is to turn
fatigue
> off; when this option is off, the issue can not be observed or exploited.
> The second is to audible to your original play (audible L2) if the offense
> shifts; while this works, it makes it very difficult to make pre-play
> adjustments, as the audible resets any adjustments.
>
>
> For online play, we will be patching the servers and disabling fatigue, so
> that this issue will not be used as an exploit online. This change will be
> made tomorrow morning at 1 AM PST for both the Xbox and PS2 servers. The
> update will be invisible to users and will not require a client side
patch.
> Online games will still show fatigue as "on" but it will really be off.
> While this isn't a perfect solution, we felt it was the best way to
counter
> the exploit.
>
>
> We have also modified the settings at the Madden Challenge events and
> alerted the staff to this so that this issue can not be used as an exploit
> in the events.
>
>
> We wanted to make you aware of this so you could inform your members for
> their normal offline games, and wanted to take this chance to thank you
for
> helping identify this issue and bringing it to light, the power of the
> community really helps make Madden the great game that it is.
>
>
> Be sure to send me any questions.
>
>
> Thanks,
>
>
> Nathan Fahrenthold
> EA SPORTS Community Producer
> ---------------------------------------------
>
> Lame
>
>
>
>
!