SF Coverage - Actually a 'for instance'

I was out in the San Francisco area on 07/11 and ran into a phenomena, that
I saw locally(Dayton, OH) a few months ago, but which went away.....

While I was in the Muir Woods area.. (yes I know it is very hill and Sprint
Coverage is spotty), I was on ANALOG ROAM......

However, I was unable to make any call while on ANALOG roam there.... All I
would get is a 'fast busy' after attempting to dial the the number...

PRL was up to 10023

Was is the case of ?

1) Stuff happens!

2) Need to be @ 10024, when in that area?

If did try *2, while in the area, thinking if I needed 10024, if would
download it , but it did not sense the need!

For the most part, I was able to get a good solid signal or analog signal
from SFO up to Oregon, except for this fluke!

Just a couple of guesses -
1. Maybe the analog carrier had no available analog traffic channel for
your call. Maybe they only have 1 or 2 analog channels at all in that cell.

2. PRL 10023 (and 10024) lists Verizon (SID 40) digital and analog as a
preferred carrier, but ATTWS (SID 31) is not listed at all, neither
preferred nor negative (this came as a surprise to me - I had thought
both carriers had previously been listed as preferred). Maybe the phone
couldn't get a Verizon signal, and acquired an ATTWS signal, but ATTWS
wouldn't allow its use by a Sprint phone and gave you a fast busy. On
the other hand, I'd have guessed such a situation would have given you
some message on the phone's display that the call couldn't go thru and
you'd hear nothing.

Maybe someone who really knows will chime in.

Someone posted links to text versions of PRLs 10023 (4/18/2004) and
10024 (6/14/2004) on this newsgroup. I hope you had a nice visit to our
area.

"Joe Gill" <joegill@removethis@prodigy.net> wrote in message news:<2WGLc.2830$zN7.250@newssvr32.news.prodigy.com>...
> I was out in the San Francisco area on 07/11 and ran into a phenomena, that
> I saw locally(Dayton, OH) a few months ago, but which went away.....
>
> While I was in the Muir Woods area.. (yes I know it is very hill and Sprint
> Coverage is spotty), I was on ANALOG ROAM......
>
> However, I was unable to make any call while on ANALOG roam there.... All I
> would get is a 'fast busy' after attempting to dial the the number...
>
> PRL was up to 10023
>
> Was is the case of ?
>
> 1) Stuff happens!
>
> 2) Need to be @ 10024, when in that area?
>
> If did try *2, while in the area, thinking if I needed 10024, if would
> download it , but it did not sense the need!
>
> For the most part, I was able to get a good solid signal or analog signal
> from SFO up to Oregon, except for this fluke!

As Frank posted it was likely just a cell problem with Verizon. I get
that fast busy from time to time here when testing out roaming on
Verizon. PRL 10024 probably wouldn't make any difference. When you
land on a romaing partner who Sprint doesn't have an agreement with
you will typically get a message asking for a credit card to place a
call. Here in So. Cal AT&T has never had roaming agreements with
Sprint so on the few times I land on them when forcing analog on my
phone it does me no good. I hear if you enter a credit card for
roaming you could be charged very outrageous fees.

Your account has to be flagged for OTA (OverTheAir) updates for the download
to happen automatically. It may be already, but you should check with tech
support.

"Joe Gill" <joegill@removethis@prodigy.net> wrote in message
> If did try *2, while in the area, thinking if I needed 10024, if would
> download it , but it did not sense the need!

When I had an actual F&C America plan, 10022 and 10023 came down
automatically when I called *2, then I changed to a F &C plan w/America
option and I had to call for 10024 and have them turn the automatic download
back on; which they gladly did. Another good encounter w/ CS.

Chris