256MB ATi Radeon 9800 Graphics

I'm thinking of buying the following from Tiny

Pentium 4 3.0GHz HT Processor
1024MB DDR RAM
256MB ATi Radeon 9800 Graphics

1) Any issues with any of the hardware - how is the graphics card rated
2) Will this system play most software (eg Doom 3, Max Payne 2)
3) How 'futureproof' is this?
1 answer Last reply
More about 256mb radeon 9800 graphics
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    "Matthew 'Sharky' Partridge" <matthew.partridge@durham.ac.uk> wrote in
    message news:49e50337.0409041110.4512d645@posting.google.com...
    > I'm thinking of buying the following from Tiny
    >
    > Pentium 4 3.0GHz HT Processor
    > 1024MB DDR RAM
    > 256MB ATi Radeon 9800 Graphics
    >
    > 1) Any issues with any of the hardware - how is the graphics card rated
    > 2) Will this system play most software (eg Doom 3, Max Payne 2)
    > 3) How 'futureproof' is this?

    My current system is quite similar to what you are looking at. I have a
    2.8GHz P4 Northwood C processor and 1GB of PC-3200 RAM. My motherboard is a
    Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 Pro. I've owned this setup for about a year now with
    no issues.

    I think the 3GHz processor will easily be good for at least 18 months, and
    the same will probably hold true for the memory. You might be able to
    stretch it to two years. When Longhorn hits, you'll probably be looking at
    buying something new again if you plan to be an early adopter.

    The video card part is a bit more difficult to answer, it depends on which
    variant of the 9800 you're talking about. I have a built by ATI 128MB
    Radeon 9800 Pro. It's awesome for Max Payne 2, and I'm able to run Doom 3
    in 1024x768 in high detail quite well. How good this video card is now and
    into the future depends a lot on what you expect in terms of graphics
    detail. I'm happy to game with AA and AF turned off completely, so I should
    still be set for quite some time yet.

    With my setup, I'm not looking to change my motherboard, CPU, memory or
    video card until about June of 2006. With technology changing so much,
    chances are that I will be building a whole new system from the ground up at
    that time.

PC gaming Radeon ATI Video Games