Ben

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Does SprintPCS use 3G or 2.5G technology in the network? If SprintPCS is
using CDMA 1xRTT, it is 2.5G. When will we get 3G in the network?

Paul

Splendid

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 05:07:48 GMT, "Ben" <ben@netscape.com> wrote:

>Does SprintPCS use 3G or 2.5G technology in the network? If SprintPCS is
>using CDMA 1xRTT, it is 2.5G. When will we get 3G in the network?

In Japan the European press calls 1xRTT 3G but the same press doesn't
call it 3G when it's in the Americas (go figure) .

The only technology that's commercially deployed that meets the 2 mbps
peak data rate spec is EV-DO (not the commercially rolled out W-CDMA).
EV-DO is coming to Sprint PCS.

The Sprint PCS announcement for EV-DO was made more than a month ago.

See one of the press reports here:

http://tinyurl.com/2vonn

Excerpt:

"Sprint hopes to launch its new service on a limited basis later this
year and in metro markets next year."

Ben

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

How do we compare EV-DO with UMTS? I think W-CDMA in UMTS will be better
than CDMA EV-DO.

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 03:40:33 GMT, "Ben" <ben@netscape.com> wrote:

>How do we compare EV-DO with UMTS? I think W-CDMA in UMTS will be better
>than CDMA EV-DO.

For the user the average throughput of EV-DO will be 150-200% of
W-CDMA.

For the carrier there's a huge difference. EV-DO requires 1/4 the
bandwidth of W-CDMA. (Hence the interest in Flarion's OFDM for GSM
carriers, which also only requires 1/4 the bandwidth of W-CDMA.)

Ben

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

The wide band CDMA in W-CDMA can't have a better throughput than EV-DO. This
will make no sence to have the wide band for the W-CDMA. Why don't they put
a better coding in UMTS W-CDMA?