Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 8 and xp duel boot fail

Last response: in Windows 8
March 1, 2013 8:40:14 PM

I am unable to duel boot windows xp from windows 8. when the cd runs in windows 8 the install windows xp is greyed out and can not install, when i restart and try to boot from cd it says that the boot source failed. Any thoughts on why?

More about : windows duel boot fail

March 1, 2013 8:48:55 PM

There are supposed to be 2 different partitions, I think you only have one partition with Windows XP. You need to download a partition manager to decrease the partition and make a new empty partition. It's recommended to backup your data. Easeus Partition Manager can do this for you.
m
l
March 1, 2013 8:59:01 PM

Windows 8 uses the RFS (resilient file system) Windows XP is not capable of reading a disk created using RFS.

themanbearpig's recommendation of installing each onto their own partition is the only way to have both of these running off the same physical disk. Easus partition master is an easy to use program to accomplish this with. Make sure you use NTFS for the XP partition.

Alternatively you can install each OS onto its own physical disk, generally speaking xp can fit nicely on about any sized USB stick.
m
l
Related resources
a b * Windows 8
March 1, 2013 9:31:33 PM

tragusa113 said:
I am unable to duel boot windows xp from windows 8. when the cd runs in windows 8 the install windows xp is greyed out and can not install, when i restart and try to boot from cd it says that the boot source failed. Any thoughts on why?

I think you are better start again and follow the step by step from the link. I did the similar I can dual boot win7 and win8.
http://techingiteasy.wordpress.com/2012/03/05/how-to-du...
m
l

Best solution

a b * Windows 8
March 1, 2013 9:43:27 PM

Hi dalethepcman

I have not heard of a new file system for Win 8 which XP can not read
can you give some links describing this ?

Hi tragusa113

I have no problems installing Windows 8 in a spare partition where Windows XP and Windows 7 were previously installed into different partitions
3 OS partitions and 2 Data partitions on 2 hard disks (install order XP, 7, 8 there are tutorials for installing Win XP after Win 7.
The procedure would probably be similar for XP after 8

I use the Windows 7 boot manager, If I shut down Windows 8 the Windows 8 boot manager takes over but if I restart the Windows 8 and go to XP or 7 the Win 7 boot manager continues.

Is this a new Windows 8 PC from a big computer company ?
if so it may use UEFI bios & Secure Boot which will probably prevent XP installation

Providing you do not have Secure Boot enabled you can use Partition Magic or your favourite partitioning program to shrink a partition to make space for a XP partition

You can then Boot from a XP CD which on a modern PC will fail due to lack of SATA hard disk controller driver unless you have a floppy disk drive & F6 SATA driver.

If installing XP succeeds it will screw up the Windows 8 boot manager, which will need a Windows 8 DVD or repair disk to repair Windows 8

What about a Virtual machine under Windows 8 to run your XP ?
There are several free Virtual Machine programs available there should be Win 8 versions available by now

regards

Mike Barnes
March 1, 2013 10:07:33 PM

its XP just bin it already - its dead
m
l
March 1, 2013 11:41:56 PM

It is useful to have a dual Windows 8/ XP boot-able system, although My preference would be a Windows 7 /XP system.

You should always install the older operating system first ie XP then Windows 8, doing it the other way around can be very difficult

One problem is that Windows XP will delete the Windows 8 restore points every time you boot into Windows XP, the solution is to make the Windows 8 hard drive contents invisible to Windows 8

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices\offline]
"\\dosdevices\\e:"=dword:00000001

end

where e: is the drive you don't want xp to see and the dword value 1= invisible 0= visible.

Copy from and including the
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

To, but not including the end to notepad and save as a *.REG file. double clicking on this file should modify the registry
m
l
March 3, 2013 1:48:26 AM

thank you everyone for your input, it is a new laptop from HP and yes, after posting this I found the bios and found secure boot, I was able to instal xp after that. the reason I needed xp on my machine is for work, the website we use is old and not up to date and I rather work with xp then vista. but again thank you everyone for their input.
m
l
April 9, 2013 8:46:00 PM

mbarnes86 said:
Hi dalethepcman

I have not heard of a new file system for Win 8 which XP can not read
can you give some links describing this ?

You are correct. Server 2012 uses refs, windows 8 uses ntfs. My mistake. Good call on SecureBoot, I haved't tried installing XP on a UEFI secure boot enabled system, but Windows 7 and 8 are the only MS OS's that have certificates for installation on a system like this.
m
l
!