Thoughts on NHL 2005

Well after playing for about 2 hours last night , a few things.

Not sure its the "copy" i had but it seemed really dim on the lighting
affects.

It also had a very console feel to it and the ice seemed to look like Europe
sized.

There is now a seperate buttom for wrist shot and slap shot. A pain in the
ass actually since you also need Buttons for speed/check/pass/line changes
etc etc.

I need to play a little more....not really sure how I feel about it so far.

warr

What a bad game. They went for the NHL Hitz type of feel this year. I just
played a game on medium difficulty, 6 min periods, TB vs St Louis. I won
3-1, SOG 47-22 in my favor, and the hits were 97-47 in my favor. I had the
penalties bumped up a few from default, and not one was called all game.
I'm sure the sliders can be adjusted for some stuff, but out of the box it
plays very arcadish.

"Jonathan Diehl" <jbdiehl@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message news:<Oo%2d.40185$uN5.14563@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>...
> What a bad game. They went for the NHL Hitz type of feel this year. I just
> played a game on medium difficulty, 6 min periods, TB vs St Louis. I won
> 3-1, SOG 47-22 in my favor, and the hits were 97-47 in my favor. I had the
> penalties bumped up a few from default, and not one was called all game.
> I'm sure the sliders can be adjusted for some stuff, but out of the box it
> plays very arcadish.
>
> "Warr" <yeah@yeah.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Well after playing for about 2 hours last night , a few things.
> >
> > Not sure its the "copy" i had but it seemed really dim on the lighting
> > affects.
> >
> > It also had a very console feel to it and the ice seemed to look like
> > Europe
> > sized.
> >
> > There is now a seperate buttom for wrist shot and slap shot. A pain in the
> > ass actually since you also need Buttons for speed/check/pass/line changes
> > etc etc.
> >
> > I need to play a little more....not really sure how I feel about it so
> > far.
> >
> > warr

I guess I have to get used to the game, or give it a chance, but it
seems a lot harder to score and to dipsy doodle around players.
In my opinion, I think that was the fun part about the previous
versions was using the patented 'now you see it now you don't'
breakaways. Everyone knows the move, and that made the game fun for
me, because the game goes back and forth at a fast pace. It then came
down to how well you can play defense. I think they tried to make it
more realistic which has taken some of the fun outta of it for me the
first time playing.
I don't find that the movement is as smooth and kinda clunky. Sooner
or later, I'll figure out how to undress the defense and it'll be all
better =)

At $9.99, is NHL *2004* worth it?
I played the demo last year when it was released and thought it was
okay but not enough to plunk $40 on.

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 10:02:39 -0700, B. Jones wrote:

> At $9.99, is NHL *2004* worth it?

I've owned it for a year or so and still haven't finished a season with
it. By contrast, I got through 2.5 seasons with NHL 2002. A lot of my
beef with 2004 is that brutally designed HMTL interface. Did 2005 improve
on this at all?

--
Ian Merrithew - ADM Systems Engineering
ian.merrithew "at" ieee.org