Sign in with
Your question

Wireless home entertainment network setup help

January 24, 2013 7:09:29 PM

I need guidance with regard to setting up a wireless home entertainment network.

Here is how I want it to work. We have two laptops, a desktop computer, internet, three tvs, a stereo unit, dvd player, dvd/vhs player, blu-ray recorder, wii, printer, and a smartphone. I want to be able to access from any one of the above devices in my home all of my information (movies, pictures, music, other files, etc.) from one device (hard drive??). I would also like to save information from the above home devices to this hard drive/device.

What is the best way to set this up? I would like there to be no wires going from component to component although I do realise that some hardware will be wired to the some devices but within close proximity to one another so we don't have to hide wires around the house but still get flawless (if possible) throughput of any of the information on the hard drive to/from home devices.

Below is a list of current equipment in the home:

Laptops - HP Compaq nx6120 running Windows 7 with an ALFA AWUS036E USB Wireless Network Adapter, and a MacBook Pro 13".

Desktop - Custom build running windows 7 with a Ubiquiti SR71 USB Wireless Adapter and a Samsung LS24B370 LCD Monitor.

Internet - Telstra bigpond using a Telstra Bigpond Technicolor TG587n v3 modem/router.

TV's - Dick Smith GE6600 LCD TV with DVD Player, Vivid 38355 AB-32HDC2, and an OTIC (TEAC) OTM515 (although this tv will probably be upgraded to a Panasonic 55").

Stereo Unit - Yamaha RX-530 Receiver, MX-35 Amplifier, and a CDX-910CD Player. Looking to upgrade the stereo unit. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

DVD Player - ??

DVD/VHS Player - NEC

Blu-Ray Recorder - Samsung DVD-BDE8900 or DVD-BDE8500 with Wi-Fi built in, SMART Hub and 500GB-1TB.

Wii - with USB Wi-Fi adapter.

Printer - Cannon Pixma MP500.

Smartphone - Samsung Galaxy Note II 4G.

Also looking to get a home theatre system. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

I have heard of getting two Wireless Routers such as the Asus RT-AC66U (one as router and other as a bridge), and Wireless Repeaters/Extenders, Wireless USB Adapters such as the Buffalo Air Station N300, Powerline Networking, WD TV Live Streaming Media Player, Media Hubs, AV Receivers, PVR or DVR, Robbo100's Media Portal software, and a few others that I can't think of at the moment. To tell you the truth I am really quite confused.

Also, is it best to store all information on a hard drive that the home network devices can access and keep a backup of this hard drive? If so, what is the biggest and best hard drive to get?

Please help!!! Need to purchase any equipment for the setup by the end of this month.
!