What to buy to extend connection wireless?

omgzhobbs

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
Ok, since updating to Windows 8, I have had so many issues with my wifi usb, a TP-Link TL-WN722N.

Basically, now and then, for no reason, it likes to completely disconnect, and not just from the USB, windows makes the sound for the USB device itself disconnecting, before this happens, the internet becomes very slow and then stops working, then a short while after, the internet disconnects, followed by the USB device disconnecting.. I have no idea why it is doing this? It never did, until recently when I done a fresh install of Windows 8, before the fresh install, I was running Windows 8 and the device never had this issue..

Basically, I have googled a lot, found no answers, and now I just want to buy something else.. but I kinda wanna avoid getting a USB device, in case I have the same issue, I would much prefer to connect via a cable, however the router is on the other side of the house and I do not really fancy having a very long Ethernet cable going through the entire house, as it really would need to go through the whole house and there is no way of doing this piratically really, without someone tripping over the wire, due to the layout of my house.

So, I have been looking at routers that act as access points, but this needs to still be connected via ethernet cable I believe? So this would just leave me with a router in the middle of this long ethernet cable.

Is there anything I can buy to do this simply? I have seen these plug things around on the internet, some which comes in pairs, am I right in thinking, one of this plugs would go in the lounge with the router and from the plug, the ethernet cable would go into the router, then in my bedroom, I would plug the other plug in, with the ethernet cable going to my PC? I feel rather lost on all of this and just need someone to either just link me to a product on amazon, which will do what I need, or give me some sort of advice on this issue.. its getting annoying, I work from home occasionally so the internet cutting out randomly can be very frustrating, sometimes it cuts out and then windows wont even recognize the wifi so I have to change USB port and then have the issue of trying to get windows to install the correct driver..

I just want a simple way of doing this, so far the simplest way seems to be, moving the pc into the lounge with the router, another not very practical solution.

The router is a Virgin Media hub.

it actually disconnected while writing this post, it does not reconnect after unless removed and then put back into the PC, but a different USB port, it will not even detect it again if the same USB port it used, I can however go back to a previously used USB hub after.. no other devices have this issue and my PC has a 630W PSU, so its not a power issue either, probably just a rubbish cheap dongle.

I am not sure about how well the TP-Link devices will work, but I know that the Linksys wireless card (the link that I posted) works and works well.

Three + years of flawless operation. I don't even know that the card is there!