Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Retention & Add-a-Phone?

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 5:30:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

I've had a Sprint PCS plan for just over three years now; my current
agreement ends next month (I got extended for a year when they offered
me more minutes back in August 2003). My wife would like to join my
service plan, but Sprint wants at least $60/month for a decent two-line
plan, whereas T-Mobile has a $50 option that's VERY tempting.

So my question is, do you guys think Sprint will be willing to cut me a
deal on the Add-a-Phone if I stay with them? Have people had any
experience with ordering multiple lines in the Retention department?


Thanks in advance,

Adam

More about : retention add phone

Anonymous
July 28, 2004 3:16:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"Adam Schneider" <schneiderNOSPAM@N0SPAM.pobox.com> wrote in message
news:280720040130074832%schneiderNOSPAM@N0SPAM.pobox.com...
>
> I've had a Sprint PCS plan for just over three years now; my current
> agreement ends next month (I got extended for a year when they offered
> me more minutes back in August 2003). My wife would like to join my
> service plan, but Sprint wants at least $60/month for a decent two-line
> plan, whereas T-Mobile has a $50 option that's VERY tempting.
>
> So my question is, do you guys think Sprint will be willing to cut me a
> deal on the Add-a-Phone if I stay with them? Have people had any
> experience with ordering multiple lines in the Retention department?
>
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Adam

They might, but you will probably have to commit to another AA for a year.
Don't know how many minutes or options you need but here's what I currently
have.

At the start of 04, I had my revised my plan, with 3 phones, 1200 AT
minutes, F&CA, & 7:00 PM N & W for $65. For the 7:00 PM N & W, I had to
commit all three phones for 2 years. I've got Vision on two phones with
picture pac for $20 more, to bring up the total to $85/mo. before taxes &
surcharges. Total cost at the end of the month is appx $100/mo.

Bob (cust. since 98)
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 5:10:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Does anyone have a 1800 number that goes directly to the retention
department. I was told my 3 different sprint stores that since I'm on
a 1 year contract that I am not elgible for an upgrade and I want to
tell them I am going to cancel and see where that gets me.

Thanks,
Deanna
New to the group, but 2 year customer to PCS
Related resources
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 5:37:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 01:30:07 -0700, Adam Schneider
<schneiderNOSPAM@N0SPAM.pobox.com> wrote:


>So my question is, do you guys think Sprint will be willing to cut me a
>deal on the Add-a-Phone if I stay with them? Have people had any
>experience with ordering multiple lines in the Retention department?
>

My agreement ended more than a year ago, and it was actually
two separate plans (my wife's phone and mine) on the same bill. I took
a new, 2-year agreement two months ago, and created an add-a-phone
account. It's $60, but it's quite good (750 shared anytime with a
bonus 150/phone + unlimited n&w + unlimited spcs to spcs + 7:00 pm
start). It certainly more than covers my needs. I would always like to
save $10, but SPCS service has been very good to me. It may help in
negotiating with them that I have been with them for more than 5.5
years.
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 11:50:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

I've read of these two phone numbers for retention
(866) 762-0468
(866) 207-7913

Deanna wrote:

> Does anyone have a 1800 number that goes directly to the retention
> department. I was told my 3 different sprint stores that since I'm on
> a 1 year contract that I am not elgible for an upgrade and I want to
> tell them I am going to cancel and see where that gets me.
>
> Thanks,
> Deanna
> New to the group, but 2 year customer to PCS

--
Frank Harris in San Francisco with an A620
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 9:51:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

David G. Imber <imber@maniform.com> wrote:
>
> My agreement ended more than a year ago, and it was actually
> two separate plans (my wife's phone and mine) on the same bill. I took
> a new, 2-year agreement two months ago, and created an add-a-phone
> account. It's $60, but it's quite good (750 shared anytime with a
> bonus 150/phone + unlimited n&w + unlimited spcs to spcs + 7:00 pm
> start).

Well, if they gave us something like that, I'd take it. For $10 more
than T-Mobile, we'd be getting earlier evenings (very handy now that
we've moved to the west coast) and 350 more minutes; that's worth it,
no question -- I don't think T-Mobile even has an option to buy 7pm
nights.

Did you get this by calling the Retention Dept. directly?

Adam
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 12:24:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Has anyone been successful (last 6 months?) in retaining FIMF when revising
existing plans? I tried but got nowhere with a rep. discussing adding a
4th line (now with ATTWS) and wanting lots of bells and whistles. I have 3
lines now with 1300AT/FIMF/8PMN&W/1000PCS at $50 another line the same with
Vision for $15 added to the $50; and a third line: 750AT/FIMF/8PMN&W/1000PCS
for $40.00 - Thus I'm paying $165 plus taxes for 3 numbers and have been
customer since 1997. Bills always paid before they arrive. CSR told me
I'm "qualified" for 10 lines. They wanted me to "port" the ATTWS phone and
THEN they'd discuss a plan.... told CSR that isn't gonna work. The ATTWS
plan is currently 1400AT/9PM - Unlimited/ for about $65.00 after corporate
discount program. Thus I'd need for the 4 phones over 4500 minutes AT,
plus we use about 600 min/month FIMF.


George / Chicago, Santa Barbara, Manhattan, Boca Raton
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 12:09:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

In article <62dOc.210113$Oq2.144408@attbi_s52>, Stud
Muffinhplaw@yahoo.com says...
> Has anyone been successful (last 6 months?) in retaining FIMF when revising
> existing plans? I tried but got nowhere with a rep. discussing adding a
> 4th line (now with ATTWS) and wanting lots of bells and whistles. I have 3
> lines now with 1300AT/FIMF/8PMN&W/1000PCS at $50 another line the same with
> Vision for $15 added to the $50; and a third line: 750AT/FIMF/8PMN&W/1000PCS
> for $40.00 - Thus I'm paying $165 plus taxes for 3 numbers and have been
> customer since 1997. Bills always paid before they arrive. CSR told me
> I'm "qualified" for 10 lines. They wanted me to "port" the ATTWS phone and
> THEN they'd discuss a plan.... told CSR that isn't gonna work. The ATTWS
> plan is currently 1400AT/9PM - Unlimited/ for about $65.00 after corporate
> discount program. Thus I'd need for the 4 phones over 4500 minutes AT,
> plus we use about 600 min/month FIMF.
>

Based on what you've written above, yeah. I'd have kept
FIMF for you. It can be done. If you show up in our
system as sparkling as you sound, there's tons of stuff I
could have done for you. You mention corporate discount.
If your account with SPCS is a business account, too, then
you should be able to do quite a bit.

IF you're willing to re-make the commitment.

--
RØß
O/Siris
-+-
**A thing moderately good is not so good as it
ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a
virtue, but moderation in principle is always a
vice.**
-Thomas Paine. The Rights of Man. 1792-
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 4:19:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Too bad I can't get you, O/Siris. You'd be doing both SPCS AND a customer a
good thing. Yes, it IS a "business" account. I was kind of surprised the
CSR let me go --- never let the customer walk out the door, they're likely
to not be back, especially for ADDING a new service line. Now it seems
ATTWS is scrambling and offering "deals" but I'd still like to simplify
things with one carrier.

Knowing that FIMF CAN be kept will make a difference for me when I next try
to consolidate my wireless.... thanks.



Based on what you've written above, yeah. I'd have kept
FIMF for you. It can be done. If you show up in our
system as sparkling as you sound, there's tons of stuff I
could have done for you. You mention corporate discount.
If your account with SPCS is a business account, too, then
you should be able to do quite a bit.

IF you're willing to re-make the commitment.
Anonymous
July 31, 2004 8:37:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

In article <n1rOc.215837$XM6.30654@attbi_s53>, Stud
Muffinhplaw@yahoo.com says...
>
> Too bad I can't get you, O/Siris. You'd be doing both SPCS AND a customer a
> good thing. Yes, it IS a "business" account. I was kind of surprised the
> CSR let me go --- never let the customer walk out the door, they're likely
> to not be back, especially for ADDING a new service line. Now it seems
> ATTWS is scrambling and offering "deals" but I'd still like to simplify
> things with one carrier.
>
> Knowing that FIMF CAN be kept will make a difference for me when I next try
> to consolidate my wireless.... thanks.
>
>

I'm just speculating, but I got the impression, based on
indirect communications, that SPCS feels it's been burned a
bit on retention. Customers threatening to cancel when
they had no such intention, and then, in the end, it didn't
seem to have any *real* effect on retention rates.

But it's more than just making Retention (or whatever it'll
be called down the road) more difficult to get to. SPCS
(or was, when I left), moving to a structure that rewards
our most profitable customers with extra attention. It's
not always visible. Like a "Gold" division, to which such
customers get redirected. This is something that was still
early-stage when I left, so where it goes, and what that
division can do for a customer is not yet set. But I know
they started by making all retention offers available to
that division.

So there are changes afoot. And, with the good results
this past quarter, maybe SPCS will get more aggressive
about those changes.

Fingers crossed.

--
RØß
O/Siris
-+-
**A thing moderately good is not so good as it
ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a
virtue, but moderation in principle is always a
vice.**
-Thomas Paine. The Rights of Man. 1792-
Anonymous
July 31, 2004 11:54:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

What is FIMF, anyway?

Thanks!
Dave


"Stud Muffin" <hplaw@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Has anyone been successful (last 6 months?) in retaining FIMF when revising
>existing plans? I tried but got nowhere with a rep. discussing adding a
>4th line (now with ATTWS) and wanting lots of bells and whistles. I have 3
>lines now with 1300AT/FIMF/8PMN&W/1000PCS at $50 another line the same with
>Vision for $15 added to the $50; and a third line: 750AT/FIMF/8PMN&W/1000PCS
>for $40.00 - Thus I'm paying $165 plus taxes for 3 numbers and have been
>customer since 1997. Bills always paid before they arrive. CSR told me
>I'm "qualified" for 10 lines. They wanted me to "port" the ATTWS phone and
>THEN they'd discuss a plan.... told CSR that isn't gonna work. The ATTWS
>plan is currently 1400AT/9PM - Unlimited/ for about $65.00 after corporate
>discount program. Thus I'd need for the 4 phones over 4500 minutes AT,
>plus we use about 600 min/month FIMF.
>
>
>George / Chicago, Santa Barbara, Manhattan, Boca Raton
>
Anonymous
July 31, 2004 4:22:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

>What is FIMF, anyway?

FIMF = First Incoming Minute Free

--
John S.
e-mail responses to - john at kiana dot net
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 9:50:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Ah, thanks

sexyexotiche@aol.comspamfree (John S.) wrote:

>>What is FIMF, anyway?
>
>FIMF = First Incoming Minute Free
Anonymous
August 2, 2004 8:23:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"O/Siris" <0sîrîs@sprîntpcs.côm> wrote in message news:MPG.1b74de0d972fe60c989a48@netnews.comcast.net...
>>>I'm just speculating, but I got the impression, based on
indirect communications, that SPCS feels it's been burned a
bit on retention. Customers threatening to cancel when
they had no such intention, and then, in the end, it didn't
seem to have any *real* effect on retention rates.<<<

Customers who know about and request retention deals probably
represent only a small fraction of SPCS' total customer base.
Therefore, it is not surprising that retention deals don't have
a big effect on overall retention rates.
I happen to have a good retention deal, which helps to keep me
onboard as a loyal SPCS customer.

--

John Richards
Anonymous
August 2, 2004 6:25:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 04:23:30 GMT, "John Richards"
<supportdesk70-NO-SPAM@NO.SPAM.sbcglobal.net> wrote:


>I happen to have a good retention deal, which helps to keep me
>onboard as a loyal SPCS customer.

That's exactly what it's all about. A search in the archives
will turn up my earlier posts on this, which I won't reiterate, except
to mention that I used to work in telecommunications (MCI) and that
telcos LOVE their retention customers. Those who suggest that
"retentioners" mess things up for others have never worked on the
other side of the line.

I stay loyal because of my retention, I tell others how
pleased I am with the way I'm treated (here and elsewhere), it
encourages others to get on a path toward long-term customer status,
and on and on it goes.

Retention is a relatively minor channel, and it's in the
nature of commerce that factors will always contribute to its
remaining minor. But it is nonetheless a very powerful channel. It
will always be less expensive to keep customers than earn new ones,
and when the "retained" customers take up the marketing cudgel, all
the better for the company.

DGI
Anonymous
August 2, 2004 10:32:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

David G. Imber <imber@maniform.com> wrote:

> That's exactly what it's all about. A search in the archives
> will turn up my earlier posts on this, which I won't reiterate, except
> to mention that I used to work in telecommunications (MCI) and that
> telcos LOVE their retention customers. Those who suggest that
> "retentioners" mess things up for others have never worked on the
> other side of the line.
>
> I stay loyal because of my retention, I tell others how
> pleased I am with the way I'm treated (here and elsewhere), it
> encourages others to get on a path toward long-term customer status,
> and on and on it goes.

Retention deals are not, by themselves, a bad thing. I only have issues
with people saying they're going to cancel when they have no such intention.

--
JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) / sjsobol@JustThe.net
PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.
Anonymous
August 3, 2004 5:26:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"Steven J Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message news:faOdnb3tuv-2UpPcRVn-vw@lmi.net...
> Retention deals are not, by themselves, a bad thing. I only have issues
> with people saying they're going to cancel when they have no such intention.

IMO that falls into the category of little white lies that don't hurt anybody.
Some people are not adroit enough to phrase it more acceptably:
"I received an attractive offer from [SPCS competitor] and am considering it.
What can you offer me to retain my business?"

--

John Richards
Anonymous
August 3, 2004 5:26:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 01:26:28 GMT, "John Richards"
<supportdesk70-NO-SPAM@NO.SPAM.sbcglobal.net> wrote:


>IMO that falls into the category of little white lies that don't hurt anybody.
>Some people are not adroit enough to phrase it more acceptably:
>"I received an attractive offer from [SPCS competitor] and am considering it.
>What can you offer me to retain my business?"

I didn't even say that. These people aren't all dim, and they
have the record right in front of them. They could see that I've been
a good customer for six years.

In my case I said roughly the following: "I've been a good
customer since 1998 and basically I'm satisfied with my service. But
my Adv. Agreement was done long ago, and lately I've been looking into
my options. If I were willing to sign on for another contract, could
you give me a better deal than what I'm getting?"

The guy said that he could offer me such and such, but that
Sprint can do better than what he's authorized to allow. So HE
suggested switching me to cancellation. "Just explain to them what you
told me" he said. I did, and they gave me a sweet deal. Smiles all
around, no embarrassment, no awkwardness, no lying.

You read all these horror stories here about dealing with
SPCS. I'm a firm believer that you get as good as you give. If you're
honest, direct and polite, if you treat people with civility and not
suspicion...well, occasionally you'll still get burned - that's the
way of the world. But I've found that by taking that tack with SPCS
I've gotten great results.

DGI
Anonymous
August 3, 2004 5:26:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

David G. Imber <imber@maniform.com> wrote:

> The guy said that he could offer me such and such, but that
> Sprint can do better than what he's authorized to allow. So HE
> suggested switching me to cancellation. "Just explain to them what you
> told me" he said. I did, and they gave me a sweet deal. Smiles all
> around, no embarrassment, no awkwardness, no lying.

Great idea.


--
JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) / sjsobol@JustThe.net
PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.
Anonymous
August 7, 2004 9:17:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

In article <86stg0h2h0vjeft8jkjt7chdo9npml3hn9@4ax.com>,
imber@maniform.com says...
> In my case I said roughly the following: "I've been a good
> customer since 1998 and basically I'm satisfied with my service. But
> my Adv. Agreement was done long ago, and lately I've been looking into
> my options. If I were willing to sign on for another contract, could
> you give me a better deal than what I'm getting?"
>
> The guy said that he could offer me such and such, but that
> Sprint can do better than what he's authorized to allow. So HE
> suggested switching me to cancellation. "Just explain to them what you
> told me" he said. I did, and they gave me a sweet deal. Smiles all
> around, no embarrassment, no awkwardness, no lying.
>

Awesome. Both you *and* the rep acted as I would hope all SPCS reps
do, although I must concede not all do.

--
RØß
O/Siris
~+~
"A thing moderately good is not so good
as it ought to be. Moderation in temper
is always a virtue, but moderation in
principle is always a vice."
Thomas Paine, "The Rights of Man", 1792
!