songoku

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
Does anyone know what Cas Latency means? And is there a proframce difference between the Cas Latency numbers (cas2, cas2.5, cas3). Thanks.

Man's greatest Mistery is Himself.

LumberJack

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
Don't know the exact def. But it has to do with with the timing of the ram module. 2 to 2.5 is quite a significant difference.. Especially from 2 to 3...

To err is human... to really screw things up you need a computer!

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
The CAS latency setting is the number of clock cycles that pass before a RAM module can begin to execute a read command after receiving it. The lower the number, the better. Most RAM modules nowadays tell you the CAS latency for which they're rated. Some can actually run at a lower CAS latency than their rating, but there's no guarantee.

Just remember that for all of your memory timings, including, RAS precharge time, RAS to CAS latency, etc. the lower the setting, the faster the memory will run. However, it doesn't mean that your specific RAM CAN run at the lower numbers. You'd have to tinker with the settings to find the best stable combination. It also doesn't mean that a lower setting is going to give you that big a boost in performance. However, CAS latency is one setting that does seem to provide a decent boost in memory performance.

<-----Insert witty sig line here.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Twitch on 03/13/03 11:29 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

NE_Corridor

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
Twitch has got most of it. However, lower CAS timings are not always better. Maximum PC compared RAM with CAS timings of 3, 2, and 1.5. Athought CAS2 ram diperform better than CAS3 ram, it also performed better than CAS1.5 ram. At some point if you go too low with CAS timings, memory errors will arise, causing a degradation in ram performance.

Call me Caine.

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Columm array stroke CAS
Row array stroke RAS

it the thime in cycle for acces a row or columm.I can not give information i better like RDRAM so i have learn RDRAM

[-peep-] french

LumberJack

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
Ic.. yes rdram is a superior technology.. but not for long... M-ram.. will rock this world

To err is human... to really screw things up you need a computer!