good cost-effective digital recorder

Dear all:
I have been looking at portable digital recorder to replace my Tascam
DAT portable which has given many good years of service. I have looked
at the Marantz PMD670 and 660 and Edirol R1 and R4. These come close,
but all seem to lack digital inputs. Is there a device with similar
capabilities (solid state, good preamp, SLR connectors, phantom power,
digital audio in/out, USB2.0 or firewire) with digital input also?

Thanks very much,
Richard
4 answers Last reply
More about good cost effective digital recorder

    Richard Chapman wrote:
    > Dear all:
    > I have been looking at portable digital recorder to replace my Tascam
    > DAT portable which has given many good years of service. I have looked
    > at the Marantz PMD670 and 660 and Edirol R1 and R4. These come close,
    > but all seem to lack digital inputs. Is there a device with similar
    > capabilities (solid state, good preamp, SLR connectors, phantom power,
    > digital audio in/out, USB2.0 or firewire) with digital input also?
    >
    > Thanks very much,
    > Richard

    Check out the SD-744T.
    http://www.sounddevices.com/

    In article <1108590156.511725.179570@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> chapman@eng.auburn.edu writes:

    > I have been looking at portable digital recorder to replace my Tascam
    > DAT portable which has given many good years of service. I have looked
    > at the Marantz PMD670 and 660 and Edirol R1 and R4. These come close,
    > but all seem to lack digital inputs. Is there a device with similar
    > capabilities (solid state, good preamp, SLR connectors, phantom power,
    > digital audio in/out, USB2.0 or firewire) with digital input also?

    Fostex FR2
    http://www.fostex.com/index.php?file=products/pfr/fr2

    But what's that RCA jack on the left side of the Edirol R4 that's marked
    "Digital Input"?

    The PMD 670 has digital I/O. And USB port. My experience
    with it is quite positive.

    TM

    Richard Chapman <chapman@eng.auburn.edu> wrote:

    >I have been looking at portable digital recorder to replace my Tascam
    >DAT portable which has given many good years of service. I have looked
    >at the Marantz PMD670 and 660 and Edirol R1 and R4. These come close,
    >but all seem to lack digital inputs. Is there a device with similar
    >capabilities (solid state, good preamp, SLR connectors, phantom power,
    >digital audio in/out, USB2.0 or firewire) with digital input also?

    Yes: PDAudio:

    http://www.core-sound.com/HighResRecorderNews.html

    We have a Web page that compares PDAudio to the Marantz PMD670, Edirol
    R1, Fostex FR-2:

    http://www.core-sound.com/comparison-pdaudio-pmd-670-fr-2.html

    moskowit@core-sound.com Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912

Pro Audio Audio