Windows freezing on boot.

frankie_od

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
hi
i have installed a new cpu heatsink and added two extra fans to may case. once installed i booted into windows 7 fine. i then booted a second time and again it was fine. so on the third time it started to freeze on the windows logo screen. since then i been trying to get it back working again.
here is what i have done:

start up repair - tells me it could be due to new hardware or usb devices. i tried different usb combos and different keyboards
boot using know working config - still does not work
restore point - for some reason does not show any restore points
safe mode - i can get into safe mode fine
scan for virus - once in safe mode i scanned and the results showed no virus or malware
clear cmos
reseat - i unplugged everything and removed ram and gpu
tried different sata cable
tried different sata ports

the only other option i know is to check for electrical shorts.
any help would be great

thanks

jamesmcuk

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Hi Mate

In Safe Mode Click Start

Type MSConfig and press enter

Click Boot Tab

Click Boot.log

then close and reboot

Let it hang and resart in safe mode (hopefully this won't overwrite the boot log) If it does you will need a windows CD and then go to the console to open notepad but lets see first.

Anyway once back in safe mode open C:\windows\ntbtlog.txt and see what the last driver loaded or failed was it may give us a clue?

frankie_od

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
hi
i did what you asked and the logs shows the last driver that loaded was wudfpf.sys and the last driver to not load was afg.sys. hope this helps. i also tried to boot into safe mode with networking and it failed and it hung on classpnp.sys. research showed avg could be problem but using the methods advised didn't work. windows found this to be not working security processor loader.
hope this helps thanks

jamesmcuk

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Was that meant to be afd.sys? Anyway all the file mentioned are windows files hat the system needs so its not a basic driver issue thats loading when it shouldn't and crashing. We could spend a long time figuring out exactly what the cause is but the basic likely casue it that you wacked in the new hard ware and the system loaded with old drivers. Windows installed some drivers and at some point you rebooted. Then windows installed some more drivers becuase more hardware became visible after it put the chipset ones on. You rebooted again and now its got 2 set of drivers that are somehow not happy to play together.

So I think you probably have two thing to try before a full reinstall.

1: make a Startup repair disk ( you can download one here http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-7/create-a-windows-7-system-repair-disc/ at the bottom of the page) and boot from that and use the repair option.

2: Boot from above disk and perform a system restore to a date before you installed the motherboard etc. On the first boot remove all drivers for everything that was on or related to the old board e.g. onboard sound graphics, chipset, uSB, network, Sata, raid anything. then try a few reboots

frankie_od

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
sorry it took a while to get back i have not had my computer for a week. thanks for all the help but im going to purchase a ssd and re install.
again thanks for help
bi