Tascam DM-24: Good, bad, or...?

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
February 17, 2005 4:57:06 PM

Hello all...

The Tascam DM-24 digital mixer is on closeout at stores around the country;
as low as $1600 for new-in-box units whose retail price was $3000. The model
has been superseded by the DM-3200 which apparently has more and better of
everything.

The DM-24 looks like a pretty nice full-featured unit. Comprehensive
routing, built-in TC effects, integrated ADAT interface, and so on.

Before I take the leap, are there any quality/performance/usability issues
with this model?

If it's a lemon, now would be a good time to know that.

TIA for responses...

Alan

More about : tascam good bad

Anonymous
February 17, 2005 5:31:08 PM

Al wrote:
> Hello all...
>
> The Tascam DM-24 digital mixer is on closeout at stores around the
country;
> as low as $1600 for new-in-box units whose retail price was $3000.
The model
> has been superseded by the DM-3200 which apparently has more and
better of
> everything.
>
> The DM-24 looks like a pretty nice full-featured unit. Comprehensive
> routing, built-in TC effects, integrated ADAT interface, and so on.
>
> Before I take the leap, are there any quality/performance/usability
issues
> with this model?
>
> If it's a lemon, now would be a good time to know that.
>
> TIA for responses...
>
> Alan

I love the DM24, I have one with the firewire card option which
makes it into a DAW interface. No high samplerates with Firewire yet,
but it works great at 44.1 and 48k, switching samplerates with the
Firewire connection is a bit of a pain though. But having 24 discreet
busses in and out of Nuendo is a beautiful thing really (on a Mac this
requires OS 10.3.something and version 3.0 software for the
Dm24(downloadable from Tascam.)

The converters aren't bad (not great, but ok and better than most
cheap interfaces.) If you get one I suggest adding the analog I/O card
(they were giving some cards as a promo at the end of last year.) You
have 3 TDIF, an ADAT I/O and 2 AES/SPDIF already on the mixer, however
because of how the mixer's setup you will have 60 possible inputs at
mixdown with the analog card, but only 52 without it.

Buy one that is labeled on the box "DM24 Version II" - the older
versions had the wrong audio taper pots installed on the micpres and
80% of the gain was in the last 10% of the pot's throw. You can buy
the newer pots from Tascam and install them though if yours doesn't
have them. The micpres aren't bad sounding at all, about 58db of gain
though you can add more digitally if you really have to.

It;s not a lemon, but they did have a bad run of some of the LED
screens which were overly sensitive to heat, running the console hot
would cause them to fail over time and need replacing. There were some
power supply issues with some older consoles as well - also a job many
users did themsleves. Most DM24 owners think the board is a good value
and like them a lot though, you should check out the DM24 section at
www.tascamforums.com for what kinds of issues users have had and for
general support with your questions.

Cheers,

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Staff Audio / Fox News / M-AES
February 17, 2005 6:25:29 PM

Thanks very much for your input! Just the kind of info I needed.

I've been using a Tascam FW-1884 but found that its digital mixing functions
were way too limiting. Eventually I'd like to install the Firewire card in
the DM-24. That will give me I/O and control features pretty equivalent to
ones in the FW--the ones I actually used, that is.

As I said, I'm looking at a new-in-box unit so I trust it's recent enough to
be a Version II. If not, it won't matter too awful much since I use external
mic pres.

I'll watch for any further comments over the next day or so, then order my
DM unless some huge controversy turns up.

Alan

"WillStG" <willstg@aol.com> wrote in message

> Al wrote:
>> Hello all...
>>
>> The Tascam DM-24 digital mixer is on closeout at stores around the
> country;
>> as low as $1600 for new-in-box units whose retail price was $3000.
> The model
>> has been superseded by the DM-3200 which apparently has more and
> better of
>> everything.
>>
>> The DM-24 looks like a pretty nice full-featured unit. Comprehensive
>> routing, built-in TC effects, integrated ADAT interface, and so on.
>>
>> Before I take the leap, are there any quality/performance/usability
> issues
>> with this model?
>>
>> If it's a lemon, now would be a good time to know that.
>>
>> TIA for responses...
>>
>> Alan
>
> I love the DM24, I have one with the firewire card option which
> makes it into a DAW interface. No high samplerates with Firewire yet,
> but it works great at 44.1 and 48k, switching samplerates with the
> Firewire connection is a bit of a pain though. But having 24 discreet
> busses in and out of Nuendo is a beautiful thing really (on a Mac this
> requires OS 10.3.something and version 3.0 software for the
> Dm24(downloadable from Tascam.)
>
> The converters aren't bad (not great, but ok and better than most
> cheap interfaces.) If you get one I suggest adding the analog I/O card
> (they were giving some cards as a promo at the end of last year.) You
> have 3 TDIF, an ADAT I/O and 2 AES/SPDIF already on the mixer, however
> because of how the mixer's setup you will have 60 possible inputs at
> mixdown with the analog card, but only 52 without it.
>
> Buy one that is labeled on the box "DM24 Version II" - the older
> versions had the wrong audio taper pots installed on the micpres and
> 80% of the gain was in the last 10% of the pot's throw. You can buy
> the newer pots from Tascam and install them though if yours doesn't
> have them. The micpres aren't bad sounding at all, about 58db of gain
> though you can add more digitally if you really have to.
>
> It;s not a lemon, but they did have a bad run of some of the LED
> screens which were overly sensitive to heat, running the console hot
> would cause them to fail over time and need replacing. There were some
> power supply issues with some older consoles as well - also a job many
> users did themsleves. Most DM24 owners think the board is a good value
> and like them a lot though, you should check out the DM24 section at
> www.tascamforums.com for what kinds of issues users have had and for
> general support with your questions.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Will Miho
> NY Music & TV Audio Guy
> Staff Audio / Fox News / M-AES
> "The large print giveth and the small print taketh away..." Tom Waits

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 12:06:04 PM

"Al" <descriptor@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hello all...
>
> The Tascam DM-24 digital mixer is on closeout at stores around the
> country; as low as $1600 for new-in-box units whose retail price was
> $3000. The model has been superseded by the DM-3200 which apparently has
> more and better of everything.
>
> The DM-24 looks like a pretty nice full-featured unit. Comprehensive
> routing, built-in TC effects, integrated ADAT interface, and so on.
>
> Before I take the leap, are there any quality/performance/usability issues
> with this model?
>
> If it's a lemon, now would be a good time to know that.
>
> TIA for responses...
>
> Alan

Alan:

It's not on closeout at MF or SA. They both have this mixer priced at about
$2K, a price that has held steady for about a year. What makes you think
these are on closeout?

Craig
February 19, 2005 4:31:35 PM

Actually I haven't heard a sales person use the word "closeout" but
everything is pointing in that direction. I was unable to get a clean NIB
unit from Guitar Center. At the same time, Alto Music has reduced its price
to $1600 for NIB, $1500 for B stock. Tascam no longer lists the DM-24 in its
product pages on the web, and the DM-3200 is the one they're pushing now.

Closeout or not, you don't need to pay $2000 for a DM-24 these days.

Alan

"ceedub" <craigmw@EFOFFSPAMcox.net> wrote in message
> "Al" <descriptor@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Hello all...
>>
>> The Tascam DM-24 digital mixer is on closeout at stores around the
>> country; as low as $1600 for new-in-box units whose retail price was
>> $3000. The model has been superseded by the DM-3200 which apparently has
>> more and better of everything.
>>
>> The DM-24 looks like a pretty nice full-featured unit. Comprehensive
>> routing, built-in TC effects, integrated ADAT interface, and so on.
>>
>> Before I take the leap, are there any quality/performance/usability
>> issues with this model?
>>
>> If it's a lemon, now would be a good time to know that.
>>
>> TIA for responses...
>>
>> Alan
>
> Alan:
>
> It's not on closeout at MF or SA. They both have this mixer priced at
> about $2K, a price that has held steady for about a year. What makes you
> think these are on closeout?
>
> Craig

Anonymous
February 21, 2005 10:56:17 AM

ceedub wrote:
> It's not on closeout at MF or SA. They both have this mixer priced at
about
> $2K, a price that has held steady for about a year. What makes you
think
> these are on closeout?

The Dm24 will be superceded by the DM3200, which has 8 auxes, 16
buses, 4 TC Processors that will do surround, 96K on all channels,
etc., and at the same price that the DM24 was originally offered for.
But Tascam is notoriously slow to actually bring to market products it
has announced, and so until it is actually in stock anywhere I wouldn;t
be sitting around holding my breath.

The Dm24's you can find - if you actually go into stores - for even
better than $1500 for an open box model, if you look around.

Good luck.

Will Miho
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 5:42:56 AM

I used the DM-24 for some work at school, and we were having some
problems with it. However, it was difficult to troubleshoot them, so
we never did figure out if it was the board or just our studio setup.
For one thing, we couldn't get the TDIF to work on any of the DM-24's
(some sort of compatibility issue that may have been solved by now,
this was 6 months ago). So we had to use the analog outs and go
through an mbox to get to Pro Tools. Hopefully that's been solved.
The other problem was a bit more baffling. I was using the board in
an MS setup, only recording about 6 tracks at once. Somewhere along
the line, there seemed to some sort of signal leakage. It seemed to be
pre-fader, so I don't know if that means the mic pres aren't adequately
shielded or what. The signal I was running into the board was pretty
hot, but I don't know that that would be an issue. I'm just
postulating, really, and I was just learning how to use that board, so
it's possible it was entirely my fault, though I was pretty sure I
checked every buss, send, and insert setting, but still couldn't figure
out why, when I set all channel faders at 0 (not the master), I was
still getting sound. It was quiet, but still present. Anyway, as I
said, I'm certainly not an authority on the board, but it might be
something to investigate. Other than those two problems, it seemed
very capable and well built.

Hope this helps,
Mike Sayre
Disclaimer: STUDENT! Correct me if I'm wrong...
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 12:36:12 PM

bsuhorndog wrote:
> I used the DM-24 for some work at school, and we were having some
> problems with it. However, it was difficult to troubleshoot them, so
> we never did figure out if it was the board or just our studio setup.
> For one thing, we couldn't get the TDIF to work on any of the DM-24's
> (some sort of compatibility issue that may have been solved by now,
> this was 6 months ago). So we had to use the analog outs and go
> through an mbox to get to Pro Tools. Hopefully that's been solved.

At 44.1 and 48k, the DM24 has no TDIF problems. The only question
has to do with what the TDIF high sample rate format may end up being,
but if you want to do 88.2 or 96K digital I/O with the Dm24 you have to
use the ADAT optical inputs (maybe add a second ADAT I/O card) with
version 2.4? or later software, which supports SMUX.

> The other problem was a bit more baffling. I was using the board
in
> an MS setup, only recording about 6 tracks at once. Somewhere along
> the line, there seemed to some sort of signal leakage. It seemed to
be
> pre-fader, so I don't know if that means the mic pres aren't
adequately
> shielded or what. The signal I was running into the board was pretty
> hot, but I don't know that that would be an issue. I'm just
> postulating, really, and I was just learning how to use that board,
so
> it's possible it was entirely my fault, though I was pretty sure I
> checked every buss, send, and insert setting, but still couldn't
figure
> out why, when I set all channel faders at 0 (not the master), I was
> still getting sound. It was quiet, but still present. Anyway, as I
> said, I'm certainly not an authority on the board, but it might be
> something to investigate. Other than those two problems, it seemed
> very capable and well built.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Mike Sayre
> Disclaimer: STUDENT! Correct me if I'm wrong...

Ok you're wrong. Operator error. It's not a big it's feature. <g>

In later software you can assign a "Secondary channel input" to the
Aux 1/2 buss, and also assign the aux 1/2 bus to the stereo main
output. In your preset Mixer snapshot 1, this is the default setting.
This is part of why you can have 52 channels on mixdown, and if you
have an analog card you can have 60 channels on mixdown.

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Staff Audio / Fox News / M-AES
February 22, 2005 3:31:56 PM

WillStG wrote:
> In later software you can assign a "Secondary channel input" to
the
> Aux 1/2 buss, and also assign the aux 1/2 bus to the stereo main
> output. In your preset Mixer snapshot 1, this is the default setting.
> This is part of why you can have 52 channels on mixdown, and if you
> have an analog card you can have 60 channels on mixdown.

I mean on every mixer channel's aux 1/2 input you can assign a
"secondary input", and then assign your aux 1/2's main output to the
stereo mix. So you can assign your 24 main digital (tape return) inputs
to main channel ins (24), and your 16 onboard analog mic/line inputs +
8 inputs if you have an analog card to the aux 1/2 inputs of those same
channels, with aux 1/2 assigned to stereo (another 24). Plus you have
4 assignable analog ins and 4 returns from the Internal TC Electronics
effects and 4 inputs from your 2 digital spdif/aes inputs (another 12
inputs), giving you 60 inputs to stereo on mixdown.

This is the recall preset in the DM24 called "48 Track mixing", it
is likely the default Mike was working with when he was hearing sound
"leaking".

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Staff Audio / Fox News / M-AES