Fan Filters & Fan Guards?

DuckTape

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2002
Hello folks.

What are fan filters and fan guards, and why would someone need to use them for any fans in their PC?

Thanks much!
DuckTape

svol

Champion
Fan filters are like dust filters that filter the dust from the incomming air help to keep your system clean. But this can in some cases lower the amount of air moved by the fan dramatically.
Fan guards are those grill things you can put in front of the fan to keep your and other's fingers out of the fan blades.

Fan filters aren't something I would recommend as you have to clean them a lot and they restrict airflow. But fan guards are very usefull for fans that are easily reachable for people and animals.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek:

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
I disagree. I think filters are a great idea, especially if you live in a dirty area. I would rather clean the filters once a week or once a month than have my case fill with dust and dirt and grime.

And fan guards can also make a regular looking fan look a little neater.

XP 2500+ Barton
A7N8X Dlx
2x512MB Corsair PC3200
ATI 9700 Pro
16x DVD-ROM
2x80GB 7200RPM Maxtor
Onboard audio

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Ok, I see you've got a couple of good answers so far...

Guards keep people's and pets tongues, fingers, tails and other projecting body parts from getting into the fan blades. The good ones are made of wire so they don't interfere much with airflow.

Filters are like miniature furnace filters. You put them over the air intakes on your case to keep dust out.

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---

svol

Champion
Even when the filters restrict airflow... need to get cleaned weekly and changed periodly, can shorten the life-time of your fan and are often a pain to change?

If you got the same amount of in and out going air that will also prevent a lot of dust.

I have one (useless) fan filter in my system (it came with my DigiDoc5)... now guess which fan is broken within one year while my other fans are several years old? Yup... the one with distfilter. Coincedence or...

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek:

Auburn9698

Champion
If you got the same amount of in and out going air that will also prevent a lot of dust.
WTF????

OK, time to put the crackpipe down. How can you NOT have the same amount of incoming and outgoing air? If air exits your case, it has to enter your case first. If air enters your case, it has to exit the case, unless you happen to have a case that constantly builds pressure indefinitely. Gotta say, I've never seen one of those...

You can use dust filters and clean them periodically, or you can clean the dust off of all the rest of your components periodically.

War Eagle

svol

Champion
Very simple... it is just a principle of physics.

Air is made of molecules that have a relative large distance inbetween. Now if you have only a fan blowing out you remove more molecules of air then there get inside the case through small holes... you create something called underpressure or vacuum. This is bad for both your fans (because the air is going to be more difficult to remove from inside your case) and the cooling because there are less molecules to cool the heatsinks.
Now if you got the reverse, more air comming in then going out you get overpressure... this is especially bad for the fans and helps creating dust because the particles of dust can stand still inside the case.
If you got an equal airflow comming in and out the air will continuisly flow and dust will be harder to form.

As for cleaning your components from dust... only the heatsinks make real sense to get cleaned. The rest of your hardware can survive dust with no problems.