Old Floppy Drives in New Computers?

DuckTape

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2002
Hello folks.

Should an old 3.5" floppy drive, (that will read the old 720 and 360 disks), function in a PC which is based on a "newer" motherboard such as the Asus A7S333?

Should an old 5.25" floppy drive also function in the same type of "newer" computer?

Thanks much!
DuckTape

svol

Champion
Well I have a 5.25" drive that comes out of an 286 in my system (also KT333 chipset) and it works perfect if you configure it right in the BIOS (ie select the right FD format and type).
All floppy drives should work as long as they used the standard floppy interface.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek:

DuckTape

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2002
Hello again.

Should all of the "newer" 3.5" floppy drives (which read 1.44 megabyte 3.5" floppy disks) be able to read the older 720 kilobyte 3.5" floppy disks? How about the even older 360 kilobyte 3.5" floppy disks?

Thanks again!
DuckTape

svol

Champion
720kB will work for sure as I used such a floppy on a relatifly modern system... but I don't know about the 360kB ones.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Floppy drives used to come with a "mode" jumper, there actually was an earlier pin arrangement on some very early systems. So it SHOULD work, but that doesn't mean it has to. I believe the earlier style drive died in the late 1980's, I had a Zenith Data Systems with a 3.5" drive of this strange version.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>