Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Nokia 3385i surgery?

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 7:45:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Anybody have info on how to access the CDMA equivalent of TDMA NAM, or have
any of the access codes (like the old 6100 series) for the Sprint-branded
3385i? I'm still fiddling with it, but any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

More about : nokia 3385i surgery

Anonymous
August 4, 2004 7:45:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

MindSurfer <mind.surfer@att.net> wrote:
> Anybody have info on how to access the CDMA equivalent of TDMA NAM, or have
> any of the access codes (like the old 6100 series) for the Sprint-branded
> 3385i? I'm still fiddling with it, but any info would be appreciated.

Most Nokia phones use *3001#12345# to get into programming mode. This being
Sprint, you'll also need the Master Subsidy Lock code.

--
JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) / sjsobol@JustThe.net
PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 6:00:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

But, you'll find that there is nothing you can do except change the phone
number and another number with a bunch of zeros and your phone number.
There is no field-test mode you can get into like a 6340i. By the way, that
gets you into field-test mode on other Nokia phones, not programming mode.

Chris

"Steven J Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
news:Qq2dnfvEuqeq8o3cRVn-rA@lmi.net...
> MindSurfer <mind.surfer@att.net> wrote:
>> Anybody have info on how to access the CDMA equivalent of TDMA NAM, or
>> have
>> any of the access codes (like the old 6100 series) for the Sprint-branded
>> 3385i? I'm still fiddling with it, but any info would be appreciated.
>
> Most Nokia phones use *3001#12345# to get into programming mode. This
> being
> Sprint, you'll also need the Master Subsidy Lock code.
>
> --
> JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
> Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) /
> sjsobol@JustThe.net
> PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
> Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 6:00:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Chris Russell <noone@nowhere.nospam> wrote:
> But, you'll find that there is nothing you can do except change the phone
> number and another number with a bunch of zeros and your phone number.
> There is no field-test mode you can get into like a 6340i. By the way, that
> gets you into field-test mode on other Nokia phones, not programming mode.

No, it does both.

I don't know whose phones you used. I've successfully put Alltel and
Verizon handsets into programming mode AND field test mode, but on the
other hand, neither of those carriers locks their phones (except Verizon
locking their prepay handsets, but that's not what I was buying).

If you can only get into field test mode that way, your carrier has had
Nokia disable functionality in the phone's firmware.

I speak from experience. (Alltel 6185, Verizon 3285)

--
JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) / sjsobol@JustThe.net
PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 11:59:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

It was on a Cingular Nokia 6340i. It only brought up field-test mode and no
actual number programming. You could change some things, but not program a
different number into it. No effect on a SPCS 3585i or 3588i. ##MSL#
brings the number programming (MDN and IMSI_M-31000then phone number) up on
a 3588i-I do know my MSL-saw it on the store rep's computer when he
programmed my phone and we even commented on it with certain numbers in it.

Chris

"Steven J Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
news:5vKdnWhdnL4pXIzcRVn-rA@lmi.net...
> Chris Russell <noone@nowhere.nospam> wrote:
>> But, you'll find that there is nothing you can do except change the phone
>> number and another number with a bunch of zeros and your phone number.
>> There is no field-test mode you can get into like a 6340i. By the way,
>> that
>> gets you into field-test mode on other Nokia phones, not programming
>> mode.
>
> No, it does both.
>
> I don't know whose phones you used. I've successfully put Alltel and
> Verizon handsets into programming mode AND field test mode, but on the
> other hand, neither of those carriers locks their phones (except Verizon
> locking their prepay handsets, but that's not what I was buying).
>
> If you can only get into field test mode that way, your carrier has had
> Nokia disable functionality in the phone's firmware.
>
> I speak from experience. (Alltel 6185, Verizon 3285)
>
> --
> JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
> Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) /
> sjsobol@JustThe.net
> PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
> Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.
>
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 11:59:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Chris Russell <noone@nowhere.nospam> wrote:
> It was on a Cingular Nokia 6340i.

Then my assumption is that Cingular and Sprint must both sell phones with
customized firmware. Actually, I know it's true of Sprint :) 

--
JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) / sjsobol@JustThe.net
PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.
Anonymous
August 7, 2004 2:05:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Oh yeah, Cingular even took out the network selection that is in the stock
6340i. They didn't want us choosing ATTWS, T-Mobile, etc. with a better
signal. It would hold that damn Cingular signal down to 1 bar of signal
strength (mostly unusable-even though it would go to none and choose a full
ATTWS signal, it would pop back to that 1 bar Cingular signal-one of the
reasons I paid the ETF to Cingular). Now with my 3588i on SPCS I can go to
analog (sure wish I could choose another digital signal) with my F&C America
plan and not have to worry too much.

Chris

"Steven J Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
news:gOWdnWurlMOQZI7cRVn-oQ@lmi.net...
> Chris Russell <noone@nowhere.nospam> wrote:
>> It was on a Cingular Nokia 6340i.
>
> Then my assumption is that Cingular and Sprint must both sell phones with
> customized firmware. Actually, I know it's true of Sprint :) 
>
> --
> JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
> Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) /
> sjsobol@JustThe.net
> PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
> Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.
Anonymous
August 7, 2004 2:05:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Chris Russell <noone@nowhere.nospam> wrote:
> No choice on that

On what?? (I'm confused - you obviously know about the PRL updates, and that
is what is going to get you your digital roaming.)

--
JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) / sjsobol@JustThe.net
PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.
Anonymous
August 7, 2004 5:18:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

You can't choose another digital signal if the SPCS signal is only 1 bar
(sometimes useable sometimes not). You can only switch to an analog signal.

Chris

"Steven J Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
news:D vWdnajanu7CtYncRVn-vw@lmi.net...
> Chris Russell <noone@nowhere.nospam> wrote:
>> No choice on that
>
> On what?? (I'm confused - you obviously know about the PRL updates, and
> that
> is what is going to get you your digital roaming.)
>
> --
> JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
> Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) /
> sjsobol@JustThe.net
> PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
> Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.
Anonymous
August 14, 2004 8:15:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Unfortunately, the issue is that this is a CDMA/(analog) mobile. I've
already got the usual TDMA codes and the ones to get you into Field
Test...only problem is that they don't work on a CDMA mobile, and I have yet
to find a Field Test code that'll do anything worthwhile. Any other ideas
out there?

Not only that, but even if I can figure out how to access the phone number
and get a new one (like an ESN swap, only different), the drones at Sprint
say that a phone issued under a contract (my brother's, and he switched back
to his trusty Qualcomm because of better signal and gave me the Nokia to
play with) cannot be "turned" into one that operates on pre-pay minutes...I
guess they keep their ESNs in separate databases <ack>. Anyone run into
this problem before?

"Chris Russell" <noone@nowhere.nospam> wrote in message
news:EE4Rc.1432$FV3.637@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com...
> You can't choose another digital signal if the SPCS signal is only 1 bar
> (sometimes useable sometimes not). You can only switch to an analog
signal.
>
> Chris
>
> "Steven J Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
> news:D vWdnajanu7CtYncRVn-vw@lmi.net...
> > Chris Russell <noone@nowhere.nospam> wrote:
> >> No choice on that
> >
> > On what?? (I'm confused - you obviously know about the PRL updates, and
> > that
> > is what is going to get you your digital roaming.)
> >
> > --
> > JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
> > Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) /
> > sjsobol@JustThe.net
> > PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
> > Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three
kids.
>
>
Anonymous
August 14, 2004 8:15:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

MindSurfer <mind.surfer@att.net> wrote:

> Not only that, but even if I can figure out how to access the phone number
> and get a new one (like an ESN swap, only different), the drones at Sprint
> say that a phone issued under a contract (my brother's, and he switched back
> to his trusty Qualcomm because of better signal and gave me the Nokia to
> play with) cannot be "turned" into one that operates on pre-pay minutes...I
> guess they keep their ESNs in separate databases <ack>. Anyone run into
> this problem before?

Sprint doesn't do their own prepay anymore, and their resellers that do
prepay have their own rules about what phones they'll activate, so while the
CSR at Sprint may not have been 100% accurate, the basic idea is correct...

--
JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) / sjsobol@JustThe.net
PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.
Anonymous
August 15, 2004 2:10:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

You need to know your Master Subsidy Lock number to get in to change the
phone number and MSDN.

Chris

"MindSurfer" <mind.surfer@att.net> wrote in message
news:AUqTc.447396$Gx4.385859@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> Unfortunately, the issue is that this is a CDMA/(analog) mobile. I've
> already got the usual TDMA codes and the ones to get you into Field
> Test...only problem is that they don't work on a CDMA mobile, and I have
> yet
> to find a Field Test code that'll do anything worthwhile. Any other ideas
> out there?
>
> Not only that, but even if I can figure out how to access the phone number
> and get a new one (like an ESN swap, only different), the drones at Sprint
> say that a phone issued under a contract (my brother's, and he switched
> back
> to his trusty Qualcomm because of better signal and gave me the Nokia to
> play with) cannot be "turned" into one that operates on pre-pay
> minutes...I
> guess they keep their ESNs in separate databases <ack>. Anyone run into
> this problem before?
>
> "Chris Russell" <noone@nowhere.nospam> wrote in message
> news:EE4Rc.1432$FV3.637@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com...
>> You can't choose another digital signal if the SPCS signal is only 1 bar
>> (sometimes useable sometimes not). You can only switch to an analog
> signal.
>>
>> Chris
>>
>> "Steven J Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
>> news:D vWdnajanu7CtYncRVn-vw@lmi.net...
>> > Chris Russell <noone@nowhere.nospam> wrote:
>> >> No choice on that
>> >
>> > On what?? (I'm confused - you obviously know about the PRL updates, and
>> > that
>> > is what is going to get you your digital roaming.)
>> >
>> > --
>> > JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
>> > Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) /
>> > sjsobol@JustThe.net
>> > PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
>> > Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three
> kids.
>>
>>
>
>
!