Tape for Akai GX-630D

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
February 18, 2005 12:19:16 AM

Does anyone have a manual for the Akai GX-630D ? I'm looking to see
what the manual says for tape recommendations. Also if anyone has the
machine, does your volume control only control the line out levels and
not the headphone levels? I've ordered the service manual, but haven't
found the operation manual yet.

Thanks,
Les

More about : tape akai 630d

February 18, 2005 12:24:44 AM

I should say that I normally would by a reel of each type and test to
see which sounded better to me, but with the cost of tape?

I'm intending on ordering some Quantegy tape(if I can find any).

Les

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:19:16 -0500, Les <Moe@home.net> wrote:

>Does anyone have a manual for the Akai GX-630D ? I'm looking to see
>what the manual says for tape recommendations. Also if anyone has the
>machine, does your volume control only control the line out levels and
>not the headphone levels? I've ordered the service manual, but haven't
>found the operation manual yet.
>
>Thanks,
>Les
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 6:54:44 AM

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:24:44 -0500, Les <Moe@home.net> wrote:

>I should say that I normally would by a reel of each type and test to
>see which sounded better to me, but with the cost of tape?

ISTR for Teac's and other 'consumer' decks, the recommended tape
was Ampex 456. And looking at tapewarehouse.com, they've got Quantegy
1/4" 456 in the big reel as well as 7".
But wait, what's this:

"Please note that some products may be temporarily out of stock, and
some products may be available only by special order. Please call us
at 800-659-8273 to check current availability."

>I'm intending on ordering some Quantegy tape(if I can find any).

Better call in the morning...

>Les
>

>On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:19:16 -0500, Les <Moe@home.net> wrote:
>
>>Does anyone have a manual for the Akai GX-630D ? I'm looking to see
>>what the manual says for tape recommendations. Also if anyone has the
>>machine, does your volume control only control the line out levels and
>>not the headphone levels?
>>
>>I've ordered the service manual, but haven't
>>found the operation manual yet.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Les

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley
February 18, 2005 7:19:26 AM

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:19:16 -0500, Les <Moe@home.net> wrote:

>Does anyone have a manual for the Akai GX-630D ? I'm looking to see
>what the manual says for tape recommendations. Also if anyone has the
>machine, does your volume control only control the line out levels and
>not the headphone levels? I've ordered the service manual, but haven't
>found the operation manual yet.

Checked my service manuals that date back into the mid-1970's, and
that model seems to be a little earlier than them, maybe back to The
Last War era.

Only means that manuals from thirty years ago won't have current
tape numbers listed; not that some tape (soon? to be available)
won't be usable. The easiest transition for casual use might be
something pretty old-fashioned. Nothing wrong with that.

Good fortune,

Chris Hornbeck
"Loved him; hated her." -Danny Kaye on the Himalaya's
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 11:37:31 AM

Les <Moe@home.net> wrote:
>I should say that I normally would by a reel of each type and test to
>see which sounded better to me, but with the cost of tape?
>
>I'm intending on ordering some Quantegy tape(if I can find any).

The Akai consumer machines, like most of the Japanese machines of that
era, were set up to use JIS-standard bias tape so that the user wouldn't
need to rebias each time they changed tapes. Because of this, the bias
control has a very limited range and I don't think there is any treble EQ
control inside at all.

This means if you want correct bias you either need to get the machine
modified or find some JIS tape. I think the last tape like that to be
manufactured was Maxell UD, which was discontinued around 2000.

Unlike the regular professional machines, which can be reset for just about
any kind of tape you can find, I think you're going to have a hard time
getting reasonable performance out of this without either modifying it or
buying some old TDK or Maxell tape on Ebay.

The good news is that the Japanese tapes never had sticky shed, which is
some consolation at least.

If you, after reading this, are still looking for manuals, I think you can
get the set from www.stereomanuals.com. They have a lot of that consumer
stuff. The service manual is only about ten pages long as I recall, though.
--scott

February 18, 2005 12:36:07 PM

In article <nbka119832fmarkgcm5po0fjjpit3h8s3q@4ax.com> Moe@home.net writes:

> I should say that I normally would by a reel of each type and test to
> see which sounded better to me, but with the cost of tape?

You seem to think that you can buy audio recording tape whenever you
need it. That was true up until a couple of months ago, but not so
now. Don't get too enthusiastic about this project right now. You'll
pay outrageous prices for junk take on eBay, sold by people who don't
have any idea what they have but know it's 1/4" audio tape and that's
hard to get brand new at the moment.

Chances are the "official" recommended tape hasn't been made for
years. The way to deal with tape is to find a type that you can buy
reliably (this is why I suggest that you set this project aside until
there's a supply in the pipeline again), buy a carton of it, then take
the recorder and a reel of your tape to a competent repair shop and
have them align the recorder for that tape.

Then, you'll have the recommended tape for the recorder.

March 5, 2005 10:32:15 PM

I purchased an AKAI GX 630D new in 1976. I have the original owners manual
and sales brochure. This has been an outstanding machine. It works as
good today as it did when I bought it. The deck has quite a number of
hours on it and has never been in a repair shop for any service. Knock on
wood.

Here are the spec's from the owners manual:

Wow and Flutter: Less than 0.06% RMS at 7.5 IPS
Wow and Flutter: Less than 0.09% RMS at 3.75 IPS

Frequency Response:
30 to 25,000 Hz (+ -3db) at 7.5 IPS using AKIA LN-150-7 tape
30 to 19,000 Hz (+ -3db) at 3.75 IPS using AKIA LN-150-7 tape

Distortion:
Less than 0.5% (1,000 hz "0" VU) at 7.5 IPS

Signal to Noise Ratio:
Better than 57 db (measured via tape with recording level of +6 VU

Erase Ratio:
Better than 70 db

Bias Frequency: 100 khz

Heads: 3 (1 GX record, 1 GX playback and one erase head

Motors:
One AC servo motor for capstan drive and two eddy current motors for real
drive

Fast Forward and Rewind Time:
120 seconds using 2,400 feet tape

Unfortunately, the manual does not indicate what the recommended tape is.
I have used Maxell tape since I purchased it.

Some words of caution, keep this machine covered with a lint free cloth
when not in use! Also, regularly clean and demagnetize the heads and guide
bars. This deck will provide many years of trouble free service if well
cared for.

I hope this helps.
March 5, 2005 10:51:53 PM

GTMUSTANG wrote:
> I purchased an AKAI GX 630D new in 1976. I have the original owners
manual
> and sales brochure. This has been an outstanding machine. It works
as
> good today as it did when I bought it. The deck has quite a number
of
> hours on it and has never been in a repair shop for any service.
Knock on
> wood.
>
> Here are the spec's from the owners manual:
>
> Wow and Flutter: Less than 0.06% RMS at 7.5 IPS
> Wow and Flutter: Less than 0.09% RMS at 3.75 IPS
>
> Frequency Response:
> 30 to 25,000 Hz (+ -3db) at 7.5 IPS using AKIA LN-150-7 tape
> 30 to 19,000 Hz (+ -3db) at 3.75 IPS using AKIA LN-150-7 tape
>
> Distortion:
> Less than 0.5% (1,000 hz "0" VU) at 7.5 IPS
>
> Signal to Noise Ratio:
> Better than 57 db (measured via tape with recording level of +6 VU
>
> Erase Ratio:
> Better than 70 db
>
> Bias Frequency: 100 khz
>
> Heads: 3 (1 GX record, 1 GX playback and one erase head
>
> Motors:
> One AC servo motor for capstan drive and two eddy current motors for
real
> drive
>
> Fast Forward and Rewind Time:
> 120 seconds using 2,400 feet tape
>
> Unfortunately, the manual does not indicate what the recommended tape
is.
> I have used Maxell tape since I purchased it.
>
> Some words of caution, keep this machine covered with a lint free
cloth
> when not in use! Also, regularly clean and demagnetize the heads and
guide
> bars. This deck will provide many years of trouble free service if
well
> cared for.
>
> I hope this helps.

Are those GX heads GLASS CRYSTAL heads?
Are they the original heads?
Do you know where to get replacement heads?

I have an Akai cassette deck with a GLASS CRYSTAL R/P head and it works
better than any cassette tape deck I ever saw and the heads show no
sign of wear. I think the GLASS CRYSTAL heads are a real advantage.

Mark
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 1:16:43 AM

GTMUSTANG <portlandore@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:

>Unfortunately, the manual does not indicate what the recommended tape is.
>I have used Maxell tape since I purchased it.

Any JIS standard tape will work fine. The Maxell tapes (anything that
is not marked EE) is fine. TDK and Sony also made tape for many years
which was designed for the Japanese consumer machines.

Because the bias and level controls are locked inside and have only a
limited range, this machine cannot easily be realigned for other tape
types. You _might_ be able to make Quantegy 406 bias up on it but it
may require some resistor changes inside because the controls may not have
enough range.

Since Maxell UD was in production as late as June 2004, it's probably
going to be the easiest JIS type to find.
--scott

March 6, 2005 5:27:49 AM

kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote in message news:<d0dsmr$9rm$1@panix2.panix.com>...
> GTMUSTANG <portlandore@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >Unfortunately, the manual does not indicate what the recommended tape is.
> >I have used Maxell tape since I purchased it.
>
> Any JIS standard tape will work fine. The Maxell tapes (anything that
> is not marked EE) is fine. TDK and Sony also made tape for many years
> which was designed for the Japanese consumer machines.
>
> Because the bias and level controls are locked inside and have only a
> limited range, this machine cannot easily be realigned for other tape
> types. You _might_ be able to make Quantegy 406 bias up on it but it
> may require some resistor changes inside because the controls may not have
> enough range.
>
> Since Maxell UD was in production as late as June 2004, it's probably
> going to be the easiest JIS type to find.
> --scott

Any idea what the cover art for the last batches of the maxell ud 35 were, Scott ?
March 6, 2005 11:58:09 AM

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Mark <makolber@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >Are those GX heads GLASS CRYSTAL heads?
> >Are they the original heads?
> >Do you know where to get replacement heads?
>
> I believe that the "glass crystal" is really just ferrite, as used by
> Saki Magnetics.
>
> >I have an Akai cassette deck with a GLASS CRYSTAL R/P head and it
works
> >better than any cassette tape deck I ever saw and the heads show no
> >sign of wear. I think the GLASS CRYSTAL heads are a real advantage.
>
> Ferrite heads last a lot longer, but the problem is that you get no
visual
> sign when they start to wear. The gap chips very slightly around the
edges
> but it doesn't go flat. The sound quality is poorer than with
mu-metal heads
> all other things considered, I think. Although this was a big
argument back
> when the ATR-100 was new and could be purchased with ferrite or
mu-metal
> aftermarket heads and everyone was arguing the various merits and
disadvantages.

> I have a box of quarter-track Akai consumer 1/4" heads around here
somewhere,
> but to be honest, the Nortronics replacements are just as good. As
far as
> the cassette machines go, I doubt there is any support for them.
> --scott

Its a GXC 709D consumer deck, the front panel says GLass Crystal
Ferrite heads. The head in my machine is fine after many years. Every
other cassette or reel to reel machine I have had, the heads were worn
after a few years. It's all academic now, I've gone over to the dark
(digital) side.

Mark
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 2:48:01 PM

Mark <makolber@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Are those GX heads GLASS CRYSTAL heads?
>Are they the original heads?
>Do you know where to get replacement heads?

I believe that the "glass crystal" is really just ferrite, as used by
Saki Magnetics.

>I have an Akai cassette deck with a GLASS CRYSTAL R/P head and it works
>better than any cassette tape deck I ever saw and the heads show no
>sign of wear. I think the GLASS CRYSTAL heads are a real advantage.

Ferrite heads last a lot longer, but the problem is that you get no visual
sign when they start to wear. The gap chips very slightly around the edges
but it doesn't go flat. The sound quality is poorer than with mu-metal heads
all other things considered, I think. Although this was a big argument back
when the ATR-100 was new and could be purchased with ferrite or mu-metal
aftermarket heads and everyone was arguing the various merits and disadvantages.

I have a box of quarter-track Akai consumer 1/4" heads around here somewhere,
but to be honest, the Nortronics replacements are just as good. As far as
the cassette machines go, I doubt there is any support for them.
--scott
March 6, 2005 3:21:59 PM

Daniel <sivlee@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Any idea what the cover art for the last batches of the maxell ud 35 were, Scott ?

Dunno, I always bought pancakes in plain brown boxes. But the stuff doesn't
have a sticky shed problem and it doesn't have dry-out issues, so there's
no reason not to buy thirty-year old Maxell and use it.
--scott
March 6, 2005 3:35:26 PM

Mark <makolber@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Its a GXC 709D consumer deck, the front panel says GLass Crystal
>Ferrite heads. The head in my machine is fine after many years. Every
>other cassette or reel to reel machine I have had, the heads were worn
>after a few years. It's all academic now, I've gone over to the dark
>(digital) side.

Any open reel machine you want, Saki could make ferrite heads for it.
They went out of business I think in 2003, but JRF still has a large
stock of their products. If you like ferrites, there is no shortage
of the stuff out there, and since for the most part people don't like
them, they aren't as expensive as metal heads.

I know JRF has plenty of ATR-100 heads in ferrite and I remember them
having stocks of 440 heads too.
--scott
March 6, 2005 7:07:40 PM

On 5 Mar 2005 19:51:53 -0800, "Mark" <makolber@yahoo.com> wrote:

>GTMUSTANG wrote:
>> I purchased an AKAI GX 630D new in 1976. I have the original owners
>manual
>> and sales brochure. This has been an outstanding machine. It works

>> Heads: 3 (1 GX record, 1 GX playback and one erase head

>Are those GX heads GLASS CRYSTAL heads?
>Are they the original heads?
>Do you know where to get replacement heads?
>
>I have an Akai cassette deck with a GLASS CRYSTAL R/P head and it works
>better than any cassette tape deck I ever saw and the heads show no
>sign of wear. I think the GLASS CRYSTAL heads are a real advantage.

I have to imagine there's some disadvantage to these things that
I've not heard of, else most or all manufacturers would be using them
or similar designs. If Akai has (or had) a patent, they could make
lots of money licensing the design to others. They can't be TOO
expensive, as they were in consumer products. ISTR more recent
(1980's) Akai cassette recorders don't have this feature listed on the
front panel (so I presume they quit making the glass heads). What's
the problem/story with these things?

I also recall crosshead bias being a Good Thing technically, but
that was also, AFAIK, only used in one or a few models of consumer
recorders in and around the '60's.

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 7:07:41 PM

Ben Bradley <ben_nospam_bradley@frontiernet.net> wrote:

> I also recall crosshead bias being a Good Thing technically, but
>that was also, AFAIK, only used in one or a few models of consumer
>recorders in and around the '60's.

Fairchild built a machine using it, and I seem to recall 3M played around
with it a little bit. Electronically it seems like a great idea, but
mechanically it becomes difficult.
--scott
March 7, 2005 12:53:44 AM

They are glass and crystal heads.