Telicus

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2001
I just bought a Pyro 1394 drie kit for $20 from a nebor who didnt need it anymore. I havent looked into firewire a lot from what I know I can conect cams tv etc to it without a comp. I dont have much use for that. but I do read that it is fater than usb. This Pyro drive is just casing I slid off the case and it has what looks like ide and power, and sound. then I plug in the fire wire to a pci card that I need to still buy. My question is if I buy a pci card will the firewire make data trasfer faster on my pc or will it be the same and make data trasfer for deviced faster only. And if it would make data trasfer on my pc faster would it be noticable?

"yes I know my enemy they are the teachers that taught me to hate me"

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Firewire won't make your overall PC work better. Arguably the extra driver overhead may produce a slight speed hit on the overall system.

But, the good news is Firwire itself is fast... very fast... so you will get better performance from firewire devices than you will from USB ones.

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---

Telicus

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2001
IC so it would not be a good thing to put my HD in the firewire case but mabe a cd burner or rom?

"yes I know my enemy they are the teachers that taught me to hate me"

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Well, firewire is generally used for external (i.e. portable) stuff. If you have a firwire drive case with ide<->firewire conversion, you could put in a ZipDrive (750megs! Yeah!), a burner or any other drive you want to be able to move from one machine to the next.

The idea is portability without loss of useability.

External devices are very seldom as fast as the internal stuff, so, no it would not be a good idea to start pulling the perminent stuff out of your main system.

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---

Auburn9698

Champion
Umm...USB 1.1 or USB 2.0? Advertised speed is 400 Mb/sec for Firewire and 480 for USB 2.0.

Here's an article on a situation where transferring TO an external device was just a little bit faster with Firewire, but transferring FROM the same device was considerably faster with USB 2.0.
<A HREF="http://www.thetechzone.com/display.php?i=227&p=1 " target="_new">http://www.thetechzone.com/display.php?i=227&p=1 </A>

War Eagle