Calls going straight to voicemail?

Last response: in Network Providers
August 6, 2004 7:28:05 PM

About 10% of calls coming to my Sprint phone go directly to voicemail
without giving me a chance to answer the call.

What's up with that?

--
www.operationuplink.org
Anonymous

"Xavier Onassis" <xavier-onassis@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<nOadndomF8ZCdI7cRVn-ug@comcast.com>...
> About 10% of calls coming to my Sprint phone go directly to voicemail
> without giving me a chance to answer the call.
>
> What's up with that?

Same thing here. I have a good signal (-80 dbs) but yet about 10% of
calls will go to VM and notify me of a voicemail (if one is left) just
seconds later. If it can notify me of the voicemail that quickly than
why can't the call come in? This has been happening for years and
I've just learned to live with it because I believe it's something
that's just a part of CDMA technology and likely can't be fixed.
August 7, 2004 3:46:20 AM

are you new to sprint or did this just start happening... did you
phone upgrade? U could be in a lousy service area.

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 15:28:05 -0500, "Xavier Onassis"
<xavier-onassis@comcast.net> wrote:

>About 10% of calls coming to my Sprint phone go directly to voicemail
>without giving me a chance to answer the call.
>
> What's up with that?
August 7, 2004 6:57:39 AM

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 15:28:05 -0500, "Xavier Onassis"
<xavier-onassis@comcast.net> wrote:

>About 10% of calls coming to my Sprint phone go directly to voicemail
>without giving me a chance to answer the call.
>
> What's up with that?

I'm in NYC, and I'd have months of that (or at least weeks),
usually at the same times of day and frequently in the same locales.
Then the problem would subside. I got the impression that there were
just too many calls in certain areas during highest usage periods. It
often happened around the typical quitting hours, around 5:00 pm.

I assumed that they got reports and increased the volume of
cells supporting those areas.

DGI
Anonymous
August 7, 2004 2:51:16 PM

David G. Imber <imber@maniform.com> wrote in message news:<o4v8h0h48kepo297ocok92hlvjgahaana5@4ax.com>...
> On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 15:28:05 -0500, "Xavier Onassis"
> <xavier-onassis@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> >About 10% of calls coming to my Sprint phone go directly to voicemail
> >without giving me a chance to answer the call.
> >
> > What's up with that?
>
> I'm in NYC, and I'd have months of that (or at least weeks),
> usually at the same times of day and frequently in the same locales.
> Then the problem would subside. I got the impression that there were
> just too many calls in certain areas during highest usage periods. It
> often happened around the typical quitting hours, around 5:00 pm.
>
> I assumed that they got reports and increased the volume of
> cells supporting those areas.
>
> DGI

This problem usually has nothing to do with capacity believe it or not.
Anonymous
August 7, 2004 11:03:33 PM

Larry Thomas wrote:
>> About 10% of calls coming to my Sprint phone go directly to
>> voicemail without giving me a chance to answer the call.
>
> This problem usually has nothing to do with capacity believe it or not.

It _is_ difficult to believe.
Say you're stationary (e.g., at work) and the tower is maxxed out
at the moment. How is a call supposed to get through to your phone?
Anonymous
August 8, 2004 3:14:09 AM

ll <lkslittle@REMOVEcomcastTHIS.net> wrote in message news:<411527C6.19F07212@REMOVEcomcastTHIS.net>...
> Larry Thomas wrote:
> >> About 10% of calls coming to my Sprint phone go directly to
> >> voicemail without giving me a chance to answer the call.
> >
> > This problem usually has nothing to do with capacity believe it or not.
>
> It _is_ difficult to believe.
> Say you're stationary (e.g., at work) and the tower is maxxed out
> at the moment. How is a call supposed to get through to your phone?

Sprint's CDMA towers don't get maxed out very much these days. Modern
systems are designed to prevent that from happening most of the time.
But of course it does happen. But in my case when it happens it's
usually at a time when capacity does not play a factor at all (such as
11:00 AM or 2:00PM.) I once talked to a Sprint tech about this and he
told me the problem (calls rolling to VM without phone ringing) is
usually not capacity related.
Anonymous
August 8, 2004 10:15:12 PM

Larry Thomas wrote:
> Sprint's CDMA towers don't get maxed out very much these days.

I agree that's probably true of most towers most of the time.
But we live and work in: a) a high growth-rate area. They're
building houses as fast as they can put them up. Cell phone users
increase faster than new towers. b) Near the intersection of two
major regional highways. People are stuck in bumper to bumper,
stop and go traffic for hours. And they're all on their cell phones
calling home to say that they're stuck in traffic. Every day.
Due to lengthy delays in getting new towers approved by planning
commissions, there's always a lag time between need and availability.

> I once talked to a Sprint tech about this and he told me the
> problem (calls rolling to VM without phone ringing) is usually
> not capacity related.

Did he say what other causes are?
August 9, 2004 7:07:40 PM

Was told by Sprint customer service (you can apply your own reliability
factor to the source) that it was due the "the towers being overloaded". I
recently switched to Sprint (not fully happy with that decision) and noticed
it a LOT more than with ATT.

"Xavier Onassis" <xavier-onassis@comcast.net> wrote in message
> About 10% of calls coming to my Sprint phone go directly to voicemail
> without giving me a chance to answer the call.
>
> What's up with that?
>
> --
> www.operationuplink.org

Anonymous
August 9, 2004 8:37:33 PM

ll wrote:

>>I once talked to a Sprint tech about this and he told me the
>>problem (calls rolling to VM without phone ringing) is usually
>>not capacity related.
>

> Did he say what other causes are?

1. Poor reception at the tower end (just because you have four bars in
your phone and the tower is coming through loud and clear, that doesn't
necessarily mean that the tower can hear your phone very well).

2. A slot cycle mismatch, caused by either incorrect slot cycle settings
or degraded timing circuitry at the handset. A slot cycle is the time
interval in which an idle phone "wakes up," checks to see if there's a
call coming in, and if there's nothing, goes back to sleep. If the
phone is checking at the wrong times or if its timing is imprecise, then
it becomes hit or miss whether a call will actually go through.

3. Degraded or defective RF equipment, either at the handset OR at the
cell site.
Anonymous
August 10, 2004 12:19:42 AM

Anonymous
August 16, 2004 8:00:33 AM

> About 10% of calls coming to my Sprint phone go directly to voicemail
> without giving me a chance to answer the call.
>
> What's up with that?

My phone does that also, so I end up calling people back about a minute
after they try to call me. I called sprint and they told me to turn the
phone off and back on every day so the phone can log in properly.
If your phone has the capability of setting a beep every time it loses the
signal, try that to see if it is going in and out of service a lot. If it
is, then that is probably contributing to the problem. I presuppose(guess)
that if the phone goes out of service and is not picked up by an adjacent
cell tower their computer assumes you've turned the phone off and directs
all incoming calls to VM. After contact is re-established(sometimes only a
few seconds later) the system may issue a command to direct all calls to
your phone, but maybe there is a notification lag, during which time the VM
is still the default, since they haven't "found" you yet. Again, I'm just
guessing here.
August 16, 2004 8:00:34 AM

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 04:00:33 GMT, "Floyd in Tampa"
<Flooydomit@prodigy.net> wrote:

>> About 10% of calls coming to my Sprint phone go directly to voicemail
>> without giving me a chance to answer the call.
>>
>> What's up with that?
>>
>My phone does that also, so I end up calling people back about a minute
>after they try to call me. I called sprint and they told me to turn the
>phone off and back on every day so the phone can log in properly.
>If your phone has the capability of setting a beep every time it loses the
>signal, try that to see if it is going in and out of service a lot. If it
>is, then that is probably contributing to the problem. I presuppose(guess)
>that if the phone goes out of service and is not picked up by an adjacent
>cell tower their computer assumes you've turned the phone off and directs
>all incoming calls to VM. After contact is re-established(sometimes only a
>few seconds later) the system may issue a command to direct all calls to
>your phone, but maybe there is a notification lag, during which time the VM
>is still the default, since they haven't "found" you yet. Again, I'm just
>guessing here.

I leave my phone on 24/7 and maybe turn it off onece a month or so (it
is my only phone). I have never had trouble with calls going straight
through to voice mail.
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 7:04:34 PM

"Floyd in Tampa" <Flooydomit@prodigy.net> wrote in message news:BjWTc.1095$Qn5.954@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com...
>> About 10% of calls coming to my Sprint phone go directly to voicemail
>> without giving me a chance to answer the call.
>>
>> What's up with that?
>>
> My phone does that also, so I end up calling people back about a minute
> after they try to call me. I called sprint and they told me to turn the
> phone off and back on every day so the phone can log in properly.

My phone gets turned off at least once per day, yet I still
get the occasional incoming call going straight to VM,
even in strong signal areas.

--

John Richards
Anonymous

"John Richards" <supportdesk70-NO-SPAM@NO.SPAM.sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:<624Uc.2527$ZC7.1689@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>...
> "Floyd in Tampa" <Flooydomit@prodigy.net> wrote in message news:BjWTc.1095$Qn5.954@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com...
> >> About 10% of calls coming to my Sprint phone go directly to voicemail
> >> without giving me a chance to answer the call.
> >>
> >> What's up with that?
> >>
> > My phone does that also, so I end up calling people back about a minute
> > after they try to call me. I called sprint and they told me to turn the
> > phone off and back on every day so the phone can log in properly.
>

> My phone gets turned off at least once per day, yet I still
> get the occasional incoming call going straight to VM,
> even in strong signal areas.

Same thing here only it's about 20% of calls not coming in. That's a
pretty high percentage. I filed a trouble ticket on it but they claim
they can't find anything wrong. *rolling eyes*
Anonymous
September 5, 2004 9:52:52 AM

> Sprint's CDMA towers don't get maxed out very much these days. Modern
> systems are designed to prevent that from happening most of the time.
> But of course it does happen. But in my case when it happens it's
> usually at a time when capacity does not play a factor at all (such as
> 11:00 AM or 2:00PM.)

In Denton, Texas...I don't even bother trying to use my phone 5:00 or
so an 7:00. It says "Waiting to connect" most the time when I hit Talk.
As for Vision? Forget it...usually take 20 minutes to successfully send
a pic from the phone without getting an error message.

In Decatur, Texas, when trying to use Vision after 5:00, I often get teh
message "There are too many users on this site" or close to that, but it
does say "Too many users".

Again...all these problems rarely, if ever, happen during the day...only
after 5:00 for one or two hours.
Anonymous
September 6, 2004 6:56:16 AM

larryt510@hotmail.com (Larry Thomas) wrote in message news:<9c02589b.0408161442.39120e12@posting.google.com>...

> > > My phone does that also, so I end up calling people back about a minute
> > > after they try to call me. I called sprint and they told me to turn the
> > > phone off and back on every day so the phone can log in properly.
> >

> > My phone gets turned off at least once per day, yet I still
> > get the occasional incoming call going straight to VM,
> > even in strong signal areas.
>
> Same thing here only it's about 20% of calls not coming in. That's a
> pretty high percentage. I filed a trouble ticket on it but they claim
> they can't find anything wrong. *rolling eyes*

I am assuming this is the same larry510 that is in the unique position
(in the same location):
1) SPCS is only reliable vendor in the area
2) this has happen with every phone he has use over the years
(including with other family members)
3) it happens while he is on the phone and he does not get
call-waiting indication
4) larry510 has call his phone from landline and hears 4 rings before
it goes into voicemail but never sees indication on his wireless phone
5) does not have a readylink phone
6) gets a immediate voicemail icon within 1 minute of the left
voicemail message

so my message below does not apply to him.

If your calls go directly to voicemail (aka your callers do not hear
ringing), then the network thinks your phone is off or doing something
else. If the caller hears ringing, the network is trying to find your
phone's location as last reported to the network. I like to think
wireless problems similar to landline issues. If caller goes directly
into voicemail with no ringing, the central office thinks your phone
is busy (you are talking, dialup to the internet, tivo update,
three-way calling, taking call-waiting call, off-hook/who left the
phone receiver off-hook). If caller hears ringing but it does not ring
in your home, somewhere between the central office and your phone, the
cable is not connected/who unplugged the phone or someone turned off
the ringer. For example, my cordless phones did not always ring or
ring later while the other wired phones would ring correctly. I could
see my wireless signal degrade from my PDA or laptop randomly
throughout the day so I knew it was interference. Since the cordless
phone was using 2.4Mhz frequency, I decide it was interference from
other objects (WiFI equipment or related 2.4Mhz equipment). I purchase
a 5.8Mhz phone system and the cordless rings at the same time as the
wired phones. I still see the degrade WiFi signal with a new wireless
router so something else is interfering.

Readylink users will experience the more going into voicemail than
normal since readylink service "checks in" to see if anything has
change on the phone or server and updates both if necessary. While
this transaction is happening, calls will go into voicemail (see
dialup to internet/tivo update, mentioned above).

Make sure you do not have any of your ringtones set to quiet or you
have missed call indication buried deeply in your phones' menus.

I know Verizon wireless gives a different sounding ring when it thinks
the remote caller is on the phone and not talking to two caller. In
other words, call-waiting identification should be showing on the
wireless phone while the caller is hearing this unique sound.
Anonymous
September 6, 2004 8:24:58 AM

In theory, Readylink phones should be more reliable since they "check
in" many times throughout the day insuring that the phone is register
with the location towers with larry510 situation being the exception
(see incoming call-waiting). If I remember correctly, readylink will
check in about every 90 minutes besides the period after long calls or
ending a web session.
!