Sprint Store vs. Online vs. Radio Shack?

Which is the best way to deal? Any experiences to relate?
7 answers Last reply
More about sprint store online radio shack

    Dave <davids1955@earthlink.net> wrote:
    > Which is the best way to deal? Any experiences to relate?

    I just had a great experience activating my second line through Telesales.

    One minor annoyance was that they agreed to waive my $36 activation fee, but
    someone forgot to code the account for the $36 credit. It would have been
    less of a hassle if I wasn't on the Clear Pay program - the activation fee
    put me $29 over my spending limit*, and my service was temporarily turned off
    as a result. We had a payment earmarked for them anyhow, so since you can't
    talk to customer service if you're over your limit (you get sent to
    Collections, and they supposedly can't transfer you), we made the payment and
    got turned back on a couple hours later, and then I called Customer Service
    and had them apply the promised credit, which took all of about two minutes...

    With that one exception, my experience with Telesales was good. My new phone
    was delivered "next-day" as promised. I put the phrase "next-day" in quotes
    because we ordered on Friday, July 2nd, and Fedex wasn't delivering July 5th
    due to the observance of Independence Day (not something Sprint has any
    control over). But we did receive the phone on the next day FedEx delivered.

    One thing to watch out for: When you order from Telesales, apparently they
    send the phone to you *already activated.* If this bugs you, go to a store
    instead. Advantage of this policy: you can use the phone the second you take
    it out of the box. Disadvantage: of course, if it falls into the wrong hands,
    it's already usable. If you don't receive your phone on the next business day
    after you order it, CALL TELESALES IMMEDIATELY and have them track the phone.
    If the delivery service says they've already delivered it, then you need to
    make sure they TURN THE PHONE OFF to avoid any illegitimate charges on your
    account.

    We used Telesales because the closest Sprint store is a half-hour from our
    house (they've still not opened up the one they are promising at our local
    shopping mall). I talked to Radio Shack, but they told me that I couldn't
    get the phone and then port my Verizon number to it six weeks later at the end
    of my Verizon contract. Since I need to port my Verizon number to an
    existing line, and I tend to avoid buying phones from anyone except the carrier
    anyhow, I decided to call Telesales.

    --SJS

    *Regarding the activation fee: We weren't only billed the activation fee
    on our latest bill - we were also billed the usual charges - one full month
    for August, plus the customary pro-rated charges for July, the first month of
    usage on the phone. Over $100 total, since I have a $50 calling package and
    a couple extras on the second line. It's just that the activation fee is what
    pushed us over.

    On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 10:56:30 -0500, Steven J Sobol
    <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:

    snipped

    > since you can't
    >talk to customer service if you're over your limit (you get sent to
    >Collections, and they supposedly can't transfer you)

    Here's the trick:

    Call the landline number (888-211-4727) and when the machine asks for
    your cell number give them your home number or some random number from
    an out of town yellow pages or any landline number. You will then get
    the voice prompt asking what you need and just say "representative".
    This way you can get to a human before the system knows who you are.
    Quite handy for people who want to understand their bill before they
    pay it.

    Bob Tenney <yennetb@netpath.net> wrote:

    > Call the landline number (888-211-4727) and when the machine asks for
    > your cell number give them your home number or some random number from
    > an out of town yellow pages or any landline number. You will then get
    > the voice prompt asking what you need and just say "representative".
    > This way you can get to a human before the system knows who you are.
    > Quite handy for people who want to understand their bill before they
    > pay it.

    Rockin. Hopefully I won't have to use it but it's nice to know it's available.
    (This is the first time in three years that the service was interrupted, and
    it wasn't because I was late making a payment...)

    Jim85CJ <jim_85cj@nospamyahoo.com> wrote:
    > "I just call the cell phone number of the sales rep who sold me the phone"
    > I just dial *2 from my cell and say "representative"...

    You're also missing the point. Please go back and *read* the rest of the
    thread.

    Hmm.... sombody must have done too much snipping because there is no
    thread in this post...

    Steven J Sobol wrote:

    > Jim85CJ <jim_85cj@nospamyahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>"I just call the cell phone number of the sales rep who sold me the phone"
    >>I just dial *2 from my cell and say "representative"...
    >

    > You're also missing the point. Please go back and *read* the rest of the
    > thread.

    Jim85CJ <jim_85cj@nospamyahoo.com> wrote:
    > Hmm.... sombody must have done too much snipping because there is no
    > thread in this post...

    Should have made it to your webserver by now - I'm referring to my reply to
    the original poster "Dave" - which, as far as I can tell, was the first
    reply to make it to the newsgroup.

    Steven J Sobol <sjsobol@justthe.net> wrote:
    > Jim85CJ <jim_85cj@nospamyahoo.com> wrote:
    >> Hmm.... sombody must have done too much snipping because there is no
    >> thread in this post...
    >
    > Should have made it to your webserver

    duh. "news server", not "web server"

Sprint PCS Radio Internet Service Providers