Sign in with
Your question

page fault in non-paged area

Last response: in Windows XP
April 16, 2002 6:01:15 PM

anyone seen this before who can translate it for me?
'Page fault in non paged area'
win32k.sys caused a problem or something..

I've got a system managed page file if that can affect anything.

Cheers

-- There are no answers to find in the bottom of a glass. But you can have fun looking for them.

More about : page fault paged area

April 16, 2002 6:49:14 PM

That shouldn't have anything to do with your page file. And there nothing on win32k.sys under XP in the KB.

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>
April 16, 2002 7:54:32 PM

KB?

-- There are no answers to find in the bottom of a glass. But you can have fun looking for them.
Related resources
April 16, 2002 9:38:21 PM

Knowledge Base.

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>
April 16, 2002 10:52:20 PM

In Win2k memory is divided into pages. "Page fault in non paged area" translates approximately:
Something tried to write to an area of RAM it wasn't supposed to, the app/system tried to access memory in an area that isn't assigned to it, or the memory returned a bad/invalid value when it was queried. This is usually caused by bad/faulty memory or a bad driver. Win2k.sys is a system file so I wouldn't suspect it - unless you have a virus or haven't (re)updated to the latest SP after installing a new driver.

If you are overclocking this means you have gone a little too far - scale it back a notch and you should be OK.

I thought a thought, but the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I had thought.
April 17, 2002 6:01:10 PM

It could be the overclocking i guess. It was running fine until I knocked the ram voltage down a notch. I didnt think about it until you mentioned.

It only happens if i boot the system up cold, until it warms up a bit. I'm gonna start pumping 3v through my crucial again + see if that stops it.

Thanks one and all.

!