cd-rom and floppy drives not working

longneckedhorse

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
I am trying to help my brother with his HP vectra vl i8sf computer. His first day on the internet his IE and home page
were hijacked by the ineb.dll (I'll call it a bug). his computer wouldn't boot up. We fixed it in MS-DOS according to
instructions at the doxdesk.com site. When the color was bad order, we updated the Matrox MGA-G200 AGP drivers
and that worked but....the cd-rom letter is gone from the control panel, and tho' the floppy shows up, both drives do not
work. He is running Windows98SE.
Now in control panel> system>Device Manager in Basic Information , there are yellow exclamation marks for the
Standard Floppy Disk Controller, the Primary IDE controller {dual fifo} and the Secondary IDE controller {dual fifo}.
His internet connection sharing device also has a problem (but since mine shows this too, I am ignoring that one) In
system information, under components>problem devices, these four devices are
noted.
I have the drivers info from the system before and after the problem occurred.
I used a standalone called Stinger (with thanks to Symantic for the free download) to scan his system and since his OS came
with the computer, I reinstalled my version of win98se. Fully scan disked and then defragged. We deleted alot of bad files
that were in there and had quite a time removing the "I Lookup (dot) com" parasite which was the ineb.dll file. I couldn't access
his Control Panel, his My Computer, his web browser(IE), nor Windows Explorer. The only window I could access was the one
for System Information by choosing file>open, but my choice of files on the lower "types" was restricted to 4 types; (All Files)
wasn't an option.
When we had his system up and running, we installed AVG from grisoft.com and did a full scan a few times.
I have been to other posts today and have seen a suggestion to remove the problem devices listed in System Information,
and reboot. I have retrieved a BIOS flash file from HP but (really really) hesitate using this, since I would be doing it from
within Windows (cause the floppy doesn't work) though I thought it was supposed to be done from MS-DOS. He can access
the web so I guess I could email it to him to get it into /onto his hard drive.
Yup, that parasite is a stinker. From a globalwebsearch (dot) com. Should I try to remove the two IDE controllers and the
floppy drive controller and reboot? Thanks in advance for any ideas.

The floppy will work in DOS, if the drive itself or M/B is not damaged, you need a floppy diagnostic disk for the brandname of the hardrive and do a Low Level Format of the hardrive and restore it to factory specs to completely get rid of this thing, I had a friend that ran into a similar situation, he was trying to save some files he had and waited too long to take action, and it destroyed his hardrive, had to send it back to the factory and they replaced it for him. If you go into the CMOS setup and set the CMOS to boot from the floppy manually it will boot from the floppy. You can aquire any hardrive Diagnostics disk from <A HREF="http://www.bootdisk.com" target="_new">http://www.bootdisk.com</A>

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.