Share Internet Connection with Tungsten T3

June 20, 2004 3:12:33 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

I have Wi-Fi and high-speed internet (cable) set up at my home. Just
got my Tungsten T3 PDA. I know sandisk's Wi-Fi card for Palm OS is not
ready yet. I'd like to try sharing my home internet connection using
Bluetooth technology. It appears that what I need is a USB bluetooth
adapter to plug into my latptop (Windows XP). Will any adapter work?
Any recommendation? Does the software that comes with the adapter
enough for me to set up the connection? I noticed that most adapter's
range is 10 meters. But some "class 1" adapters claim that the range
could be up to 100 meters. Is there indeed such a huge differce in
range between the adapers?

Thanks,

----Ryan.
Anonymous
June 20, 2004 2:20:25 PM

ryanding wrote:
> I have Wi-Fi and high-speed internet (cable) set up at my home. Just
> got my Tungsten T3 PDA. I know sandisk's Wi-Fi card for Palm OS is not
> ready yet. I'd like to try sharing my home internet connection using
> Bluetooth technology. It appears that what I need is a USB bluetooth
> adapter to plug into my latptop (Windows XP). Will any adapter work?
> Any recommendation? Does the software that comes with the adapter
> enough for me to set up the connection? I noticed that most adapter's
> range is 10 meters. But some "class 1" adapters claim that the range
> could be up to 100 meters. Is there indeed such a huge differce in
> range between the adapers?
>
> Thanks,
>
> ----Ryan.
I use an adapter from TDK Systems. I have not tried to access the 'net
from my T3, but according to FAQ and support documentation on
www.tdksystems.com and www.palmone.com, this is a trivial task.
Anonymous
June 20, 2004 10:29:01 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

I've had good luck with the Linksys Bluetooth adapter
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&sci...

Here's a comparison of the prices
http://shopper.cnet.com/USBBT100_Bluetooth_USB_Adapter/...

Some user reviews
http://geek.pricegrabber.com/rating_getprodrev.php/prod...

Ed Kivell

"ryanding" <ryanding@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have Wi-Fi and high-speed internet (cable) set up at my home. Just
> got my Tungsten T3 PDA. I know sandisk's Wi-Fi card for Palm OS is not
> ready yet. I'd like to try sharing my home internet connection using
> Bluetooth technology. It appears that what I need is a USB bluetooth
> adapter to plug into my latptop (Windows XP). Will any adapter work?
> Any recommendation? Does the software that comes with the adapter
> enough for me to set up the connection? I noticed that most adapter's
> range is 10 meters. But some "class 1" adapters claim that the range
> could be up to 100 meters. Is there indeed such a huge differce in
> range between the adapers?
>
> Thanks,
>
> ----Ryan.
June 21, 2004 5:36:50 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"ryanding" <ryanding@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have Wi-Fi and high-speed internet (cable) set up at my home. Just
> got my Tungsten T3 PDA. I know sandisk's Wi-Fi card for Palm OS is not
> ready yet. I'd like to try sharing my home internet connection using
> Bluetooth technology. It appears that what I need is a USB bluetooth
> adapter to plug into my latptop (Windows XP). Will any adapter work?
> Any recommendation? Does the software that comes with the adapter
> enough for me to set up the connection? I noticed that most adapter's
> range is 10 meters. But some "class 1" adapters claim that the range
> could be up to 100 meters. Is there indeed such a huge differce in
> range between the adapers?
>
> Thanks,
>
> ----Ryan.

I've been using a $29 Belkin bluetooth USB adapter from Walmart and it is a
matter of 5 to 10 min setup. Very easy setup and I was browsing the internet
and checking my hotmail account in just a few min while watching TV on my
monitor.... Well worth the investment.

Regards,

-Skon
Anonymous
June 21, 2004 2:04:24 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

I vote for TDK, Bluetake and Belkin. They're good products, and I use them
with a variety of laptops and desktops.

For a guide on how to connect and share, have a look in our Bluetooth Guides
(link in the sig).

Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):

!