USB's not working

onlinepersona

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
I have two 2.0 USB ports, and one 3.0 USB port, none of which are working...
I've uninstalled and reinstalled their drivers to the best of my knowledge (by searching google).
Still not working.
Here's how it went:
This is a new purchased used notebook pc, so I'm not sure if was an issue before...
While personalizing the pc I noticed that the 3.0 USB wasn't working... I googled the issue and was recommended to dL and install "USB_Fresco_Win7_64_Z301163" via my manufacturer's online dL's @ http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Superior_Mobility/U36JC/#download
It seemed to work... for a day or so.
Today while connecting my ipod, I run into an issue where it can't connect to the pc (as soon as it connects, it ejects). So I google that issue; find that it's a USB issue...
So I check my device manager; all three under USB controllers are with an "!"; and they all have "A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32)" in properties> general: device status.
After googling that issue, I do as suggested and uninstall and delete them all and reinstall ("Chipset_Intel_WIN7_32_64_z9111027" and "infinst_autol" and "USB_Fresco_Win7_64_Z301163") restarting between each. No luck. I try to do it all again and again and again, each time in a slightly different order. No luck.
I have even tried "Microsoft Fix-it" (worthless).
I'm at the end of my google repair suggestions and a step away to pay a pro look into it.

Anyone out there see what I'm missing?
Throw me a bone please!
Thanks!!!

Asus u36jc
intel i5
windows 7

Try refreshing the USB Stack
a. - Device Manager –

b. Expand USB Serial Controllers - RIGHT CLICK on EVERYTHING and UNINSTALL all except the category itself.

c. REBOOT the computer. This refreshes the drive and the USB stack

jamesmcuk

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Still got the little yellow exclamations then I guess. If you right click on them in device manager and select update driver software can you update it to the drivers you have downloaded.

PS if the driver packages are in .exe type then rename them to .cab, open them and copy the contents to the desktop or something then browse to this area in the update drive browse box.

onlinepersona

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
Ok, i tried the safe mode uninstall.
upon reboot outta safe mode i get a message that the usb controller didn't install. Still have the little yellow exclamations.
... not my webcam isn't working.

where do i find these "driver packages" to move around, and change them to .cab?

onlinepersona

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
A51,
I think I did...
"...After googling that issue, I do as suggested and uninstall and delete them all and reinstall ("Chipset_Intel_WIN7_32_64_z9111027" and "infinst_autol" and "USB_Fresco_Win7_64_Z301163" ) ..."these are chipset drivers right?

onlinepersona

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012

I have,
It just states what I have installed:

Graphics Driver
Product Detected Intel® HD Graphics
Current Driver Installed 8.15.10.2622
Your driver is current.

Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility (Chipset INF)
Product Detected Intel® 6, 5, 4, 3, 900 Series Chipsets
Current Version Installed 9.3.0.1019
This version is valid.

Audio Driver for Intel Desktop Board
Product Detected Realtek High Definition Audio
Current Driver Installed 6.0.1.6273
This device is unknown or unsupported. Please contact the manufacturer for possible updates. More information>>

Wireless Networking (WiFi)
Product Detected Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter
Current Driver Installed 8.0.0.316
This device is unknown or unsupported. Please contact the manufacturer for possible updates. More information>>

Wired Networking
Product Detected Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Current Driver Installed 7.21.531.2010

... I think it's telling me that it doesn't think there's a problem.

onlinepersona

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012

The reason is because the drivers from asus were the first dL's I made ("After googling that issue, I do as suggested and uninstall and delete them all and reinstall ("Chipset_Intel_WIN7_32_64_z9111027" and "infinst_autol" and "USB_Fresco_Win7_64_Z301163" ) restarting between each. No luck.") and they didn't solve the issue, so I'm getting desperate searching.
Are you suggesting I try them again?
(note: I've retried them multiple times already)

jamesmcuk

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Well they are the only ones likely to work unless you can know the exact manufacturer of the chips. One thing is certain and that is that installing other makes will really mess up the issue. I think it may be best at this point to do a system restore to the earliest point possible then try installing the Asus drivers from the website. If this fails I would be thinking of a clean install because there is too much uncertainty about whats being loaded at this point.

onlinepersona

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
~sigh~~~~~
I went to system restore and the point I made before all of this started isn't there any more... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
I adjusted the memory for system restore storage to hold more, but that only helps in the future.
I doubt I'll find the older restore point.
What now?