need help with an ESN

Last response: in Network Providers
August 15, 2004 2:20:18 AM

Recently bought a Sprint Treo 600 (nice phone!) used. Problem is, Sprint
won't activate it for me on my existing Sprint number. Says the ESN is on
some kind of list. Anyone can take it off the blacklist or tell me how to
activate it, I'll pay!

Thanks,
Dale wdeNO@SPAMnc.rr.com (remove the NOSPAM)

More about : esn

Anonymous
August 15, 2004 2:40:05 AM

"Dale Edwards" <wdeNO@SPAMnc.rr.com> wrote in message
> Recently bought a Sprint Treo 600 (nice phone!) used. Problem is, Sprint
> won't activate it for me on my existing Sprint number. Says the ESN is on
> some kind of list. Anyone can take it off the blacklist or tell me how to
> activate it, I'll pay!

Ask exactly why Sprint won't activate it (tape record the conversation if
possible), and then ask the seller to fix the problem for you. Most likely
the phone is stolen or the previous user did not pay his bill. Another
slight possibility: You misread the ESN.
Anonymous
August 15, 2004 2:57:18 AM

If it wasn't originally a SPCS phone they won't activate it. If it was a
SPCS phone and the previous owner of the phone owes money from usage on that
phone they will not activate it until the previous owner pays all money
owed.

Chris

"Dale Edwards" <wdeNO@SPAMnc.rr.com> wrote in message
> Recently bought a Sprint Treo 600 (nice phone!) used. Problem is, Sprint
> won't activate it for me on my existing Sprint number. Says the ESN is on
> some kind of list. Anyone can take it off the blacklist or tell me how to
> activate it, I'll pay!
>
> Thanks,
> Dale wdeNO@SPAMnc.rr.com (remove the NOSPAM)

August 15, 2004 3:14:56 AM

The reason they won't activate it is because someone lost it, then my son
found it. It was active on Sprint when found but no one ever called the
number to claim it. It had no data in it. I suspect that whoever lost it
got it replaced by the Sprint insurance. When I called Sprint to get it
activated, they said the ESN cannot be activated. And they didn't offer to
tell me how to get it back to original owner or tell me to return it. So
now, how can I get it activated??? How about if someone works for Sprint
and takes the ESN off the blacklist?

Dale wdeNO@SPAMnc.rr.com (remove the NOSPAM)

"Dale Edwards" <wdeNO@SPAMnc.rr.com> wrote in message
> Recently bought a Sprint Treo 600 (nice phone!) used. Problem is, Sprint
> won't activate it for me on my existing Sprint number. Says the ESN is on
> some kind of list. Anyone can take it off the blacklist or tell me how to
> activate it, I'll pay!
>
> Thanks,
> Dale wdeNO@SPAMnc.rr.com (remove the NOSPAM)

August 15, 2004 3:39:21 AM

How about if someone works for Sprint
and takes the ESN off the blacklist?

Then that someone who works at Sprint would get fired.

> The reason they won't activate it is because someone lost it, then my son
> found it. It was active on Sprint when found but no one ever called the
> number to claim it. It had no data in it. I suspect that whoever lost it
> got it replaced by the Sprint insurance. When I called Sprint to get it
> activated, they said the ESN cannot be activated. And they didn't offer
> tell me how to get it back to original owner or tell me to return it. So
> now, how can I get it activated??? How about if someone works for Sprint
> and takes the ESN off the blacklist?
>
> Dale wdeNO@SPAMnc.rr.com (remove the NOSPAM)
>
> "Dale Edwards" <wdeNO@SPAMnc.rr.com> wrote in message
> > Recently bought a Sprint Treo 600 (nice phone!) used. Problem is,
Sprint
> > won't activate it for me on my existing Sprint number. Says the ESN is
on
> > some kind of list. Anyone can take it off the blacklist or tell me how
> > activate it, I'll pay!
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dale wdeNO@SPAMnc.rr.com (remove the NOSPAM)

Anonymous
August 15, 2004 5:42:18 AM

"Dale Edwards" <wdeNO@SPAMnc.rr.com> wrote in message
> The reason they won't activate it is because someone lost it, then my son
> found it. It was active on Sprint when found but no one ever called the
> number to claim it. It had no data in it. I suspect that whoever lost it
> got it replaced by the Sprint insurance.

Insurance-replaced phone belongs to the insurance company. Stolen or lost
phone belongs to the rightful owner. How are they difficult to understand
for you?
Anonymous
August 15, 2004 6:36:43 AM

I just underwent something similar. After several months of occasionally
tethering my laptop to my Sprint phone for internet access, I decided to do
the right thing and sign up for a wireless data plan. I bought a used
connection card on Ebay from a "Powerseller" who has tens of these things
for sale.

Next followed my attempts to activate the card through *2. The card could
not be activated, but my many attempts resulted in curious encounters with
the Sprintoids:
- 2 basically said "wireless what?" and immediately transferred me to
technical support, who then of course bounced me right back to customer
service.
- 2 told me the card was already assigned to someone else and could not
tell me what to do next.
- 1 transferred me to the business unit, who put me on hold for 10
minutes before my car went through a dead zone and I lost the call
- 1 (yay!) promised to investigate and call me back within the hour.
She told me that the card was one of many assigned to a third party
(presumably a reseller or big corporation) and only it can activate my card.

I then contacted the Ebay seller, who after several days' delay, said that
he contacted Sprint and straightened out the whole matter. So I called
Sprint today three times:
- 1st rep transferred me to technical support, who transferred me back
to Customer Service
- 2nd rep hemmed and hawed at her computer screen and couldn't figure
out what was going on with my card.
- 3rd rep reported that the card's ESN has been investigated by the
"help desk" (either at my or the Ebay seller's instigation) and that there
is no way that Sprint can activate this particular card - no details
available.

Since all these reps were looking at the same info on their screens, it
seems like it's just a luck of the draw to actually get someone
knowledgeable in a particular problem area. Most seem to me to be
technically unsophisticated. Perhaps it is best just to politely end a call
and start a new one if a customer rep appears out of his/her depth.

The Ebay seller has agreed to refund my purchase - minus shipping fees.

My intepretation of the events is that the card I bought was one of many
sold by Sprint in-bulk to a reseller, who then dumped overstocks to the
Ebayer. Unfortunately, it appears that Sprint has no process to deactivate
these cards. It only took me a week's worth of work to find this out.
Luckily for me, I took the week to research other wireless card options, and
I just bought a new card and wireless data service from Verizon; over the
course of a 2 year contract, that's close to $2000 that Sprint just lost to
Verizon.

End of whine.

Bill T
August 15, 2004 6:40:01 AM

"Dale Edwards" <wdeNO@SPAMnc.rr.com> wrote in message
> The reason they won't activate it is because someone lost it, then my son
> found it.

I thought you said you bought it.
Anonymous
August 15, 2004 6:55:58 AM

That is not to say that if you had bought a new card and wireless data
service from Sprint PCS you would not also have very satisfactory success.

Bill T wrote:
> I just underwent something similar. After several months of occasionally
> tethering my laptop to my Sprint phone for internet access, I decided to do
> the right thing and sign up for a wireless data plan. I bought a used
> connection card on Ebay from a "Powerseller" who has tens of these things
> for sale.
>
> Next followed my attempts to activate the card through *2. The card could
> not be activated, but my many attempts resulted in curious encounters with
> the Sprintoids:
> - 2 basically said "wireless what?" and immediately transferred me to
> technical support, who then of course bounced me right back to customer
> service.
> - 2 told me the card was already assigned to someone else and could not
> tell me what to do next.
> - 1 transferred me to the business unit, who put me on hold for 10
> minutes before my car went through a dead zone and I lost the call
> - 1 (yay!) promised to investigate and call me back within the hour.
> She told me that the card was one of many assigned to a third party
> (presumably a reseller or big corporation) and only it can activate my card.
>
> I then contacted the Ebay seller, who after several days' delay, said that
> he contacted Sprint and straightened out the whole matter. So I called
> Sprint today three times:
> - 1st rep transferred me to technical support, who transferred me back
> to Customer Service
> - 2nd rep hemmed and hawed at her computer screen and couldn't figure
> out what was going on with my card.
> - 3rd rep reported that the card's ESN has been investigated by the
> "help desk" (either at my or the Ebay seller's instigation) and that there
> is no way that Sprint can activate this particular card - no details
> available.
>
> Since all these reps were looking at the same info on their screens, it
> seems like it's just a luck of the draw to actually get someone
> knowledgeable in a particular problem area. Most seem to me to be
> technically unsophisticated. Perhaps it is best just to politely end a call
> and start a new one if a customer rep appears out of his/her depth.
>
> The Ebay seller has agreed to refund my purchase - minus shipping fees.
>
> My intepretation of the events is that the card I bought was one of many
> sold by Sprint in-bulk to a reseller, who then dumped overstocks to the
> Ebayer. Unfortunately, it appears that Sprint has no process to deactivate
> these cards. It only took me a week's worth of work to find this out.
> Luckily for me, I took the week to research other wireless card options, and
> I just bought a new card and wireless data service from Verizon; over the
> course of a 2 year contract, that's close to $2000 that Sprint just lost to
> Verizon.
>
> End of whine.
>

> Bill T

Anonymous
August 15, 2004 7:12:54 AM

"Jerome Zelinske" <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> That is not to say that if you had bought a new card and wireless data
> service from Sprint PCS you would not also have very satisfactory success.

Sure, and I don't mean to suggest otherwise. But.... 1) most of the Sprint
reps don't seem to be very knowledgeable, and 2) Sprint should have a
better means of deactivating cards.

Of course, Verizon may be no better. I went with Verizon because their
roll-out of broadband seems faster than Sprint's, and their $80 monthly plan
is unlimited compared to Sprint's 300MB.

I still have my SprintPCS phone plan.

Bill T
Anonymous
August 15, 2004 6:08:01 PM

"Dale Edwards" <wdeNO@SPAMnc.rr.com> wrote in message
> The reason they won't activate it is because someone lost it, then my son
> found it. It was active on Sprint when found but no one ever called the
> number to claim it. It had no data in it. I suspect that whoever lost it
> got it replaced by the Sprint insurance. When I called Sprint to get it
> activated, they said the ESN cannot be activated. And they didn't offer
> tell me how to get it back to original owner or tell me to return it. So
> now, how can I get it activated??? How about if someone works for Sprint
> and takes the ESN off the blacklist?
>
> Dale wdeNO@SPAMnc.rr.com (remove the NOSPAM)
>
> "Dale Edwards" <wdeNO@SPAMnc.rr.com> wrote in message
> > Recently bought a Sprint Treo 600 (nice phone!) used. Problem is,
Sprint
> > won't activate it for me on my existing Sprint number. Says the ESN is
on
> > some kind of list. Anyone can take it off the blacklist or tell me how
> > activate it, I'll pay!
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dale wdeNO@SPAMnc.rr.com (remove the NOSPAM)

Dale, you list two different stories about this card. Just what is it?

Bob
Anonymous
August 15, 2004 9:49:41 PM

In article <Q1xTc.194111$tH1.9867235@twister.southeast.rr.com>,
"Dale Edwards" <wdeNO@SPAMnc.rr.com> writes:
> The reason they won't activate it is because someone lost it, then my son
> found it. It was active on Sprint when found but no one ever called the
> number to claim it.
[snip]

I would've dialed *2 on the thing and told Sprint PCS customer
service that I'd found a phone somebody had apparently lost and
ask what I should do about it. Or I would've called the local
police department and done the same.

In any event: You have a phone that apparently does not belong
to you. Kudos to SPCS for refusing to activate it.

--
Jim Seymour | PGP Public Key available at:
WARNING: The "From:" address | http://www.uk.pgp.net/pgpnet/pks-commands.html

Jim Seymour wrote:

> I would've dialed *2 on the thing and told Sprint PCS customer
> service that I'd found a phone somebody had apparently lost and
> ask what I should do about it.

I did that before. I was told there was nothing they could do, they
suggested I take it to a PCS store. Not convienent by any means.
Luckily, a few hours later the phone owners mother called and despite a
language barrier, I was able to arrange to return the phone.
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 11:07:22 PM

In article <%_zTc.414$SR4.215@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>,
Bill Twctom1@pacbell.net says...
> Since all these reps were looking at the same info on their screens, it
> seems like it's just a luck of the draw to actually get someone
> knowledgeable in a particular problem area. Most seem to me to be
> technically unsophisticated. Perhaps it is best just to politely end a call
> and start a new one if a customer rep appears out of his/her depth.

I know this conversation is a few days old, and the example
you gave is even older, but allow me to speculate a bit,
please.

This kind of response is indicative of what two reps told
you: that this card already "belongs" to someone else. In
fact, I ran into the same thing myself when I purchased a
Sierra 550 Aircard via EBay. I got a terrific reseller
who, after I promised him I would try a couple of times
(and never told him I was a SPCS employee), promptly sent
me a new card at no extra charge whatsoever. And even let
me turn in the previous card.

It turns out the card was already activated and assigned to
a corporate account. It wasn't until I turned mine in that
the company even realized that these cards had been
purchased and activated. And the account was big enough
that 10 such cards went unnoticed for about three months,
from what I saw.

All of that really to simply get to: I bent a few rules
determining what was going on, because privacy regulations
forbid us from going into any detail. We are simply to
refer such issues to a store.

Unfortunately, all a store will do is take the card from
you. Your purchase is between you and the EBay seller.
And you still remain obligated to the subscription if
beyond 14 days on a new one.

--
RØß
O/Siris