BSOD OR KICK BACK what do you prefer? I have both!

Tobe22

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
i am having so many problems with my PC. When ever i play any games whether it being a Direct 3d game or Open GL they seem to load and then i can get a couple of minutes playing them and then i most frequently get kicked back to desktop with no error message or any warning. But some times i get Blue Screen of Death or the game just crashes.

I have tried another different Geforce graphics cards on the mobo (ASUS A7S333) but with no luck as i got the same problem. i have tried forceing 1x 2x 4x modes on the graphics card, and i have also tried an ATI Graphics card but but i still had the same problems. i have also tried reformating the HDD and reinstalling windows XP Pro( BSOD during instalation of XP) booting with just the bear minimum components (Graphics card, CPU, Ram) and the latest WHQL Certified drivers, but still got the same responce. i have also updated the Bios to 1005 which is the latest from Asus.
I dont think it can be a heating problem as i have got three 80mm case fans, 2 sucking air into the case and 1 blowing air out. Mobo runs at 25-27 degrees C, CPU at 55-65 degrees C. i also dont think its a sound problem as i have tried taking the sound card out (Creative Audigy) and disabling the onboard sound via the jumpers but i still got the same problems, i have also tried turning the onboard sound on via the jumpers but still this had not effect with the problems

I am also experiencing BSOD when using photo editing software PSP 7, photo suite and even just m$Windows paint when editing high resolution pictures and photos. i usually get just a couple of minutes editing and then with no warning it goes to BSOD and then reboots. i am also getting BSOD in m$ publisher and m$ powerpoint and i get the occasional BSOD in m$ word when i am just typing away. does anyone know the cause of this.

My system:

300w PSU
Asus A7S333 with the SIS745 DDR 333 chipset
AMD Athlon XP 2100+
Coolmaster heatsink and fan
Crucial 256mb DDR PC2100
IBM Deskstar 7200Rpm 60Gb HDD
PNY Geforce 4 TI4200 64Mb DDR
Creative Audigy Sound Card
Zoom 56k V92 PCI Modem
Lite-On 48x12x48x CD-RW
A-Open 16x DVD-ROM
3x 80mm case fans (2 sucking air in and 1 blowing air out

If anyone else has this problem or knows how i can fix it please help me as i seem to have tried everything but with no luck.

usually the stop error is
driver_irql_is_not_less_or _equal, but somtimes there is no error like this and it tells me to do a system diognostic test.

svol

Champion
With those CPU temps and the symptons I say your CPU is overheating. Your case cooling is probably sufficient but the heatsink on the CPU doesn't seem to be able to handle the job.

Another possibility is a bad PSU... use a hardware monitor app (prefarably MBM 5) and check if the voltages are within 5% of default.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek: