Adobe Audition / Pro Tools compatibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi there,

I'm in the middle of a recording project that's being done on a pro
tools HD system. I'd like to do some editing on my own to save money,
but I don't have a pro tools system at home. I do have Adobe Audition.
Would anyone like to share experience going between pro tools &
audition? Is it possible that the session files are somehow
compatible?

Thanks,

Phil

In article <1108889235.590560.48710@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com> phastphil@gmail.com writes:

> Would anyone like to share experience going between pro tools &
> audition? Is it possible that the session files are somehow
> compatible?

Absolutely not. But since you want to do editing, you can create
editable WAV files in ProTools, import them into Audition, edit, save
your edited version as a WAV file, and then import it back into
ProTools.

Whether it will work or not depends on what kind of editing you're
doing, but WAV files are WAV files, and those are interchangeable. I'm
pretty sure that by now, Audition supports the Broadcast Wave file
format with time stamping, so you should be able to put the file back
in the right place in the ProTools project without too much trouble.

Since you have all the parts, why not try a little experiment before
you take on the big job?

Mike-

Aren't there EDL programs out there that could allow cross-platform
compatibility?

I seem to remember there was one in particular that I was looking at
that would allow me to convert session info from Samplitude to CoolEdit
Pro to whatever...I just can't remember the name right now.

-Steve Crockett

Mike Rivers wrote:
> In article <1108889235.590560.48710@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>
phastphil@gmail.com writes:

> > Would anyone like to share experience going between pro tools &
> > audition? Is it possible that the session files are somehow
> > compatible?
>
> Absolutely not. But since you want to do editing, you can create
> editable WAV files in ProTools, import them into Audition, edit, save
> your edited version as a WAV file, and then import it back into
> ProTools.
>
> Whether it will work or not depends on what kind of editing you're
> doing, but WAV files are WAV files, and those are interchangeable.
I'm
> pretty sure that by now, Audition supports the Broadcast Wave file
> format with time stamping, so you should be able to put the file back
> in the right place in the ProTools project without too much trouble.
>
> Since you have all the parts, why not try a little experiment before
> you take on the big job?

That would be EDL Convert Pro (by Cuibonosoft) http://www.cuibono-soft.com

The latest version has both Pro Tools 5.0 and Audition supported. Your Pro
Tools person would have to save the session as a version 5.0 session then
you could use the program to translate across platforms.

--Ben

--
Benjamin Maas
Fifth Circle Audio

Please remove "Nospam" from address for replies

In article <1108923726.719909.189770@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com> sbcrockett@earthlink.net writes:

> Aren't there EDL programs out there that could allow cross-platform
> compatibility?
>
> I seem to remember there was one in particular that I was looking at
> that would allow me to convert session info from Samplitude to CoolEdit
> Pro to whatever...I just can't remember the name right now.

Soundscape/Sydec had a program like that, but ProTools doesn't talk to
anybody. Closest I know of that they came to sharing EDL data was with
Mackie when Mackie built the HDR Pro version of the HDR24/96 software
that allowed importing and exporting ProTools sessions directly. But
it was designed for Version 5 ProTools and didn't work very well (or
at all) on later versions.

The AES has been working on a standard for interchange of EDL data but
everybody is so proud of their crossfade algorithms that they aren't
anxious to share it with their competitors. The concept is pretty
simple - start playing this file here, stop playing it there, and
start playing this other file from here - but what happens at the
trasnistions is what makes these things work or not work. So the way
most people solve this problem is to transfer chunks and then re-do
the edits in the program that they're currently working in.

Easy if there aren't too many, tough if there are. That's when you run
the utility that creates a new contiguous file that's just like the
edited version. Of course then you can't take apart edits and re-do
them, but if you have to do that, you can always go back and find the
original piece and edit it into the file - if you can find it.

>>....ProTools doesn't talk to
> anybody. ...
> The AES has been working on a standard for interchange of EDL data but
> everybody is so proud of their crossfade algorithms that they aren't
> anxious to share it with their competitors.

Now that we have 80 gig hard drives for fifty bucks and writable DVDs for
one, I think it's utterly stupid to transfer anything other than flattened
24 bit broadcast wave files that all begin at the same start time.

Everything reads 'em, everything writes 'em, no EDL translations needed and
they are utterly future-proof file-wise.

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com

In article <AGdSd.252316$w62.166820@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net> olh@hyperback.com writes:

> Now that we have 80 gig hard drives for fifty bucks and writable DVDs for
> one, I think it's utterly stupid to transfer anything other than flattened
> 24 bit broadcast wave files that all begin at the same start time.
>
> Everything reads 'em, everything writes 'em, no EDL translations needed and
> they are utterly future-proof file-wise.

Agreed, but our community is full of people who aren't willing to
commit to a decision. Flatten a file (per AES) and someone will say "I
wonder what it sounded like before we made that edit. Can we hear that
again?"

Sure, you can make a "before" and a series of intermediate versions of
contiguous track files, but that increases the bookkeeping. There's
something elegant about the near-finality of a tape edit. <g>

> In article <AGdSd.252316$w62.166820@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>
olh@hyperback.com writes:
> Agreed, but our community is full of people who aren't willing to
> commit to a decision. Flatten a file (per AES) and someone will say "I
> wonder what it sounded like before we made that edit. Can we hear that
> again?"

There's really no getting around the fact that switching editing systems in
the middle of a project IS making a commitment!

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com
oo