Sign in with
Your question

How to share USB dongle internet over wifi

Last response: in Wireless Networking
January 28, 2013 10:24:38 AM

Hello,
I have MTS data card (model ZTE AC 2787) USB dongle which I am using to connect to internet. If I use it directly on my laptop or desktop, it's working fine.
I want to share this internet connection over my wifi / LAN. I tried to configure virtual hotspot via connectify and 'virtual router by codeplex' but all failed. Even I tried with my friends 3g wifi router but it wont working anywahere.
Any help will be greatly appriciated...
January 30, 2013 8:25:26 PM

Connectify should work, but you can also just do it in Windows a couple of different ways, both require one computer to have the USB Internet connection and a connection to your internal network:

(1) Using ICS, to use ICS you have to disable DHCP in your router and then click the Internet connection sharing box in the USB device network control panel adapter properties.

(2) Using a network bridge, make sure ICS is off, enable DHCP on your router and then in the computer with the USB Internet open the network control panel change adapter settings and highlight the USB and other network adapter, then right click and select bridge connection.
m
l
February 6, 2013 11:46:59 AM

dkaswan said:
Hello,
I have MTS data card (model ZTE AC 2787) USB dongle which I am using to connect to internet. If I use it directly on my laptop or desktop, it's working fine.
I want to share this internet connection over my wifi / LAN. I tried to configure virtual hotspot via connectify and 'virtual router by codeplex' but all failed. Even I tried with my friends 3g wifi router but it wont working anywahere.

OK, I have found my problem and it's solution! I preferred to use windows ICS and ICS was setting my host computer as DHCP server and it's LAN IP as 192.168.137.1
On wifi router, It worked in two ways:
Case 1: If don't disable DHCP in router, Result: host will not share anything with LAN except internet (may be it was just mine)
1. Set Internet as static IP, Set router IP as 192.168.137.2, subnet mask same as host (mine was 255.255.255.0), and add 192.168.137.1 IP (host IP) into routers internet settings DNS and default gateway fields. Plug in host LAN cable into INTERNET port
Case 2: Disable routers DHCP
2. Just insert host LAN cable in normal port (not INTERNET port)

Hope that will help someone

Still wondering why connectify is not working :/ 
m
l
Related resources
July 13, 2013 6:22:35 AM

dkaswan said:
Hello,
I have MTS data card (model ZTE AC 2787) USB dongle which I am using to connect to internet. If I use it directover my wifi / LAN. I tried to configure virtual hotspot via connectify and 'virtual router by codeplex' but all failed. Even I tried with my friends 3g wifi router but it wont working anywahere.

m
l
July 13, 2013 6:28:45 AM

i normailly use win7, yes wirelessly it works by creating an ad hoc and go to the
networking setting of your wireless modem and click on sharing simple, it has
worked for.
m
l
September 24, 2013 1:27:25 AM

Can you please elaborate the steps. I am not a Professional and so I need clear directions.

Thanks in Advance.
--------------------------

dkaswan said:
dkaswan said:
Hello,

OK, I have found my problem and it's solution! I preferred to use windows ICS and ICS was setting my host computer as DHCP server and it's LAN IP as 192.168.137.1
On wifi router, It worked in two ways:
Case 1: If don't disable DHCP in router, Result: host will not share anything with LAN except internet (may be it was just mine)
1. Set Internet as static IP, Set router IP as 192.168.137.2, subnet mask same as host (mine was 255.255.255.0), and add 192.168.137.1 IP (host IP) into routers internet settings DNS and default gateway fields. Plug in host LAN cable into INTERNET port
Case 2: Disable routers DHCP
2. Just insert host LAN cable in normal port (not INTERNET port)

Hope that will help someone

Still wondering why connectify is not working :/ 

m
l
!