hanslee

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2003
Had something weird happen today... Turned my PC on, and the screen with checking RAM came up. Now, normally it's supposed to verify RAM OK, then verify hard drives etc., right? Well, it didn't get past checking the RAM! Then it restarted itself. Couldn't get it to work, until I powered down, waited for a couple of minutes, then turned the PC on again. What gives?

tRiXtA

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
try running <A HREF="http://www.memtest86.com" target="_new">this</A>

<b>Hey All! Check out my new <A HREF="http://www3.sympatico.ca/rdykens" target="_new"><font color=red> webpage </font color=red></A>dealing with hardware / software support and many computer tweaks!</b>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well, let's see. It was checking for problems with the RAM. It failed the check. Gee, I wonder what on Earth the problem could possibly be...

In case you still aren't aware of 'What gives?', computers are hardware, just like a car, a house, a dishwasher, a clock, etc. Sometimes parts break. Sometimes parts need maintanance. Welcome to the wonderful world of ownership.

If you're lucky, it's just a dust buildup causing a short and/or a heating problem. If you're unlucky, a part has broken and you will need to get it replaced. Such is life.

<font color=blue><pre>If you don't give me accurate and complete system specs
then I can't give you an accurate and complete answer.</pre><p></font color=blue>

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
"I think you were a little hard on the Beaver Ward."

:smile:

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=28752#28752" target="_new">THGC meeting? Would you go if there was one?</A>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
OMG! I looked in the mirror and found out that I'm in black and white! Nooooooooooo!

Oh well. I suppose it could have been worse.

Seriously though, why is it that when it's <i>any</i> other appliance, people don't act so stupid? The 'check engine' light on the car staying lit? Take it to a mechanic to check the engine. The fridge making funny noises? Call a repair-person to check the fridge.

Give them a computer with a problem though and BAM, another fell off of the turnip truck head-first. Suddenly it's a conspiracy to ruin their day and the obvious thing to do (have a professional look at it) is the last thing on their mind. It should just work ... because.

I just don't get it. What is so special about computers that turns people's "Common-Sense Switch" off?

I'm starting to think I should put a 'donate to me' jar up at a mall, sitting on top of a computer, so that the "Anti-Common-Sense" ambience of the PC obfuscates the foolishness of donating to me for no good reason. (Well, no good reason other than increasing my personal wealth ... or counteracting the lack thereof.)

<font color=blue><pre>If you don't give me accurate and complete system specs
then I can't give you an accurate and complete answer.</pre><p></font color=blue>