Letter to NFL, NFLPA & EA Sports

Rudy

(I sent this out this morning. It probably won't do a bit of good, but we
need to let them hear our displeasure with this agreement. I participated in
a similar email campaign last year over the 4pm starting times of the games
on Direct TV. I have the NFL package which is "advertised" as giving me
access to every NFL game. Last season the 4pm games were blacked-out in our
area until our regional 1pm game had been played. Each Sunday, I couldn't
watch my beloved Redskins until the local game in my area had been played,
which sometimes ran through the second quarter. We started firing emails to
the NFL and they changed their policy regarding Direct TV blackouts this
year. So, it can work.)

NFL
Brian McCarthy, 212-450-2069
McCarthyB@NFL.com

PLAYERS INC
Christy Moran, 202-496-2885
christy.moran@nflplayers.com

Electronic Arts
Trudy Muller, 650-628-7323
tmuller@ea.com

Source: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/sportsbusiness/news/story?id=1945691

I am outraged by your deal that will give EA Sports sole possession of the
licensed football video game business. It is my understanding that the
partnership, which will commence with the publishing of Electronic Arts'
Madden game next August, will eliminate the competitive battle EA endured
this year with other video game makers. From a business perspective, who
could blame EA sports for making a deal that will eliminate their
competition, thus giving them free reign to effectively "monopolize" the
market. I am very upset with the NFL and NFLPA for effectively "screwing"
the fans that have loyalty supported your business. Without a competitive
market, we will suffer from higher prices, lower quality gaming products and
less alternatives.

I pray that your league does not suffer a similar public backlash like the
NBA and Major League Baseball, with your obvious disregard for your fans.
While I am sure EA Sports has every intention to produce high quality
affordable products, without a competitive balance to serve as watchdog, we
fans will be the ones hurt by this deal.

I urge you to consider the fans in your future business dealings. You have
the other sports leagues to serve as examples.

Bowman Williams
Charlotte, NC

Rudy wrote:
> (I sent this out this morning. It probably won't do a bit of good, but we
> need to let them hear our displeasure with this agreement. I participated in
> a similar email campaign last year over the 4pm starting times of the games
> on Direct TV. I have the NFL package which is "advertised" as giving me
> access to every NFL game. Last season the 4pm games were blacked-out in our
> area until our regional 1pm game had been played. Each Sunday, I couldn't
> watch my beloved Redskins until the local game in my area had been played,
> which sometimes ran through the second quarter. We started firing emails to
> the NFL and they changed their policy regarding Direct TV blackouts this
> year. So, it can work.)
>

> NFL
> Brian McCarthy, 212-450-2069
> McCarthyB@NFL.com
>
> PLAYERS INC
> Christy Moran, 202-496-2885
> christy.moran@nflplayers.com
>
> Electronic Arts
> Trudy Muller, 650-628-7323
> tmuller@ea.com
>

> Source: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/sportsbusiness/news/story?id=1945691
>
> I am outraged by your deal that will give EA Sports sole possession of the
> licensed football video game business. It is my understanding that the
> partnership, which will commence with the publishing of Electronic Arts'
> Madden game next August, will eliminate the competitive battle EA endured
> this year with other video game makers. From a business perspective, who
> could blame EA sports for making a deal that will eliminate their
> competition, thus giving them free reign to effectively "monopolize" the
> market. I am very upset with the NFL and NFLPA for effectively "screwing"
> the fans that have loyalty supported your business. Without a competitive
> market, we will suffer from higher prices, lower quality gaming products and
> less alternatives.
>
> I pray that your league does not suffer a similar public backlash like the
> NBA and Major League Baseball, with your obvious disregard for your fans.
> While I am sure EA Sports has every intention to produce high quality
> affordable products, without a competitive balance to serve as watchdog, we
> fans will be the ones hurt by this deal.
>
> I urge you to consider the fans in your future business dealings. You have
> the other sports leagues to serve as examples.
>

> Bowman Williams
> Charlotte, NC

Well written. They may actually *read* this. Not that it'll do any
good, but good job nonetheless.

Rudy

Thanks. I doubt if they'll read it and I know they won't care. But, if
enough people flood their email address it may get some attention. Dr. Z
(Paul Zimmerman, a senior writer at Sports Illustrated and cnnsi.com) is
considering lending his support like he did with the Direct TV issue. Dr. Z
wrote several national articles that brought tremedous attention to the
issue. Being a NFL Ticket Subscriber Dr. Z was also being impacted by the
blackout policy. Hopefully, he'll lend his support to this isue and give
this
attention so National exposure.

TRENDING THREADS