Rambus 1066 or Dual ddr?

qquizz

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2003
am considering builing my 4th computer. Price is not an obstacle. In reading Tom's articles, it seems to me there is a perfomace decline in the new Granite chipset with dual ddr vs Rambus 1066. I am interested in other peoples experiece and opinions on this matter to resolve my quandry. Also, are there any other advantages to the Granite chipset that 850E doesnt support. In other words if I choose an 850E mobo, is there any thing I wont be able to do? Thanks to all.

stealth_blade

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2003
if money is no issue, then 1066 does perform 5-10% faster than the granite bay chipset

however, the 850e does not support serial ATA or 8xAGP
how important this is to you depends, harddrives dont really use serial ATA yet, a few drives exist with it and it will become the new standard
4x AGP is currently more than enough for vid cards and 8x cards will run in a 4x slot

advantages to granite bay- more upgradibility
ddr is cheaper and much much cooler than rd resulting in a need for less cooling, which makes the system quieter, and less heat means more stability
ddr overclocks readily, rambus doesnt

personally, im building a new P4, and im planning to go with either intel's granite bay chipset, or SIS 655

slightly slower but much cheaper and cooler

jaythaman

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002
AGP 8x and SATA are non issues. If you have the money then 1066 is tops. Another thing you wouldnt be able to overclock much.

My computer NEVER cras...DOH!.