Roaming in Canada

I was in Canada a few weeks ago with relatives, and ALL of them could
roam (Verizon, T-Mobile and Cingular) except my sprint
phone! I kept getting a recording asking me to enter a charge card
number and pay $2 per minute! When I got back to the states I called
Sprint and they said my old Samsung 8500 would roam in Canada, but my
new Sanyo 7300 required that I pay $3/month for the privilege of
roaming at 30 cents a minute? Does this make any sense? What does
the phone have to do with roaming charges in Canada? Isn't that
controlled by the PRL? I used to be able to roam for 69 cents a
minute. I'm heading up there again in a few weeks and want to clear
this up before I leave.

Thanks,
- Mark

Where in Canada were you? My wife and I have roamed successfully in
Vancouver and Prince George, BC and the area around Niagara Falls, Ont.

I believe the $3/month charge gets you the lower, 30-cent per-minute,
instead of the usual rate. Last June in Niagara Falls, I paid 65
cents/min back to the US.

Use Google Groups Advanced Search to search this newsgroup for "Canada"
in the past year and you'll see some more examples.

Here are the websites of the two providers on which Sprint phones roamin
Canada, in case you want to check their coverage:
http://www.bell.ca
http://www.telusmobility.com

Mark Judd <mark_s_judd@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I was in Canada a few weeks ago with relatives, and ALL of them could
> roam (Verizon, T-Mobile and Cingular) except my sprint
> phone! I kept getting a recording asking me to enter a charge card
> number and pay $2 per minute! When I got back to the states I called
> Sprint and they said my old Samsung 8500 would roam in Canada, but my
> new Sanyo 7300 required that I pay $3/month for the privilege of
> roaming at 30 cents a minute? Does this make any sense?

Not really. If the Preferred Roaming List they currently use allows for
roaming on a Canadian roaming partner with one phone, it should also allow it
on the other phone. Someone is clueless (the SPCS rep, not you).

> What does
> the phone have to do with roaming charges in Canada? Isn't that
> controlled by the PRL?

Sure is. I suppose it's conceivable that they've removed roaming where you
traveled and you were just using an old PRL on the Samsung, but...

You used to be better buying the $10 bucket of roaming minutes for Canada.
It came out a little cheaper than $3 a month and you didn't need to remember
to turn the function off when you were done. I don't know if this is still
an option.

Stu
"Frank Harris" <frankbhX@XcompuserveX.com> wrote in message
> Where in Canada were you? My wife and I have roamed successfully in
> Vancouver and Prince George, BC and the area around Niagara Falls, Ont.
>
> I believe the $3/month charge gets you the lower, 30-cent per-minute,
> instead of the usual rate. Last June in Niagara Falls, I paid 65
> cents/min back to the US.
>
> Use Google Groups Advanced Search to search this newsgroup for "Canada"
> in the past year and you'll see some more examples.
>
> Here are the websites of the two providers on which Sprint phones roamin
> Canada, in case you want to check their coverage:
> http://www.bell.ca
> http://www.telusmobility.com
>

> Mark Judd wrote:
> > I was in Canada a few weeks ago with relatives, and ALL of them could
> > roam (Verizon, T-Mobile and Cingular) except my sprint
> > phone! I kept getting a recording asking me to enter a charge card
> > number and pay $2 per minute! When I got back to the states I called
> > Sprint and they said my old Samsung 8500 would roam in Canada, but my
> > new Sanyo 7300 required that I pay $3/month for the privilege of
> > roaming at 30 cents a minute? Does this make any sense? What does
> > the phone have to do with roaming charges in Canada? Isn't that
> > controlled by the PRL? I used to be able to roam for 69 cents a
> > minute. I'm heading up there again in a few weeks and want to clear
> > this up before I leave.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > - Mark
>
> --
> Frank Harris in San Francisco with an A620

Start here to see if your phone can access the Canadian system:

http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/coverage/internationalroaming/IntlWelcome.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1460181&CURRENT_USER%3C%3EATR_SCID=ECOMM&CURRENT_USER%3C%3EATR_PCode=None&CURRENT_USER%3C%3EATR_cartState=group&bmUID=1092857069366

Follow the directions and you should have the answer. Also be sure you have
the latest PRL (Preferred Roaming List) 10024. There should be someplace
you can check on your phone to see what PRL you have. If you can't find it,
call *2 say "PRL Update", when connected to rep., ask for a PRL update.
They will flag your phone and have you hang up. Call back to *2 in about a
minute and it should start downloading after choosing your language.

Chris