direct outs on GL3300

Last response: in Home Audio
February 20, 2005 12:48:27 PM

Looking for some info on Allen & Heath GL3300 console. Are the direct
outputs pre- or post-fader? If they're configurable, is it an
all-or-nothing setting, or can some channels be pre and some post? If
configurable, how? Inside the box? A rear panel switch? Channel
strip switch?

I usually think in terms of recording, so for me, post-fader direct
outs are just about useless (assuming your recording mix is done with a
different console than the FOH mix). So if they are always pre-fader
on the GL3300, that's great.

Fred

More about : direct outs gl3300

Anonymous
February 20, 2005 9:12:29 PM

Fredbob Jackson <audiowannabe@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Looking for some info on Allen & Heath GL3300 console. Are the direct
> outputs pre- or post-fader? If they're configurable, is it an
> all-or-nothing setting, or can some channels be pre and some post? If
> configurable, how? Inside the box? A rear panel switch? Channel
> strip switch?
>
> I usually think in terms of recording, so for me, post-fader direct
> outs are just about useless (assuming your recording mix is done with a
> different console than the FOH mix). So if they are always pre-fader
> on the GL3300, that's great.
>
> Fred

http://www.allen-heath.com/DL/GL3300.pdf

That took me about ten seconds at Google's Advanced Search...

If you really wannabe, then you really gottado.

--
ha
Anonymous

Direct outs are normally post fader. Nice consoles have jumpers that allow
you to select pre or post. Where the "pre" falls depends on the
manufacturer. My little Crest XR20 has jumpers, but it's like 4 per board,
depending on the configuration I want, and I believe the jumpers need to be
desoldered rather than like a computer jumper. Don't want things falling
off during moves, you know.

If you don't use the inserts for inserted FX or dynamics, then fix up some
cables with tip/ring tied to the the tip, and sleeve to the ground. That
will pass the signal "through" and allow you strictly take the sends off the
mic pres. Don't use tip/sleeve cables and do a half insert. Too many other
things to worry about during a live show that you're recording, or even a
live recording in the studio. Being as it's a GL, the inserts are the best
bet. But I don't have a problem with the recording following my fader
moves. After all, I AM making a recording and concurrently making fader
decisions, so it doesn't bother me to have those moves represented on tape.

And you need to re-assess your thinking if you believe that a good recording
can't be done off the direct outs. It's not useless unless there's a dummy
running the FOH console. Anybody can go back and edit a recording that was
from the mic pre. But to get the prize of a great recording, as recorded,
makes it worthwhile. Then editing becomes taking out the noisy crowd parts
inbetween songs, and mixing is virtually done.

But that's just my opinion

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio