Sorry EA No Ball At all!

Last response: in Video Games
Share
December 22, 2004 2:01:33 AM

EA tries to corner the NBA Market too!

http://sports.ign.com/articles/574/574539p1.html

--
Jamie

Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good,
you'll have to ram them down people's throats
....Howard Aiken

More about : ball

Anonymous
December 27, 2004 2:55:46 PM

First Happy Holidays.

Bill Harris wrote:
> Dan, I made the comment that you 'don't like Sega's games very much' because
> you said " last I checked everyone of their 2K5 line had serious bugs in
> franchise, pretty much eliminating any enjoyement for the single player
> fan." I thought that "eliminating any enjoyment for the single player fan"
> was biased and inaccurate. That's all I know about your opinions of Sega's
> games. I played over fifteen seasons of ESPN NFL 2K5. I've played over 60
> seasons (recruiting mostly, and coaching a few games) of ESPN College Hoops.
> Those franchise modes don't seem broken to me. I know the NFL game needed
> house rules, but every Madden game I've ever played needed house rules as
> well.

I'm happy you're pleased with NFL2K5, that is great. Me the crazy trades
killed a lot of enjoyment. But that was minor in comparison to the fact
that you could complete passes into triple coverage, the DB AI in that
game is horrible. I'm not saying Madden is perfect, there are a lot of
things that could improve in both games.

College Hoops, you'vw simmed 60 seasons good for you. I like to play all
my games, but there is a nasty freezing bug, which is reported all over
the place and contrary to what some people believe is not fixable by the
user. Which is ruining this game in single player. You going to tell me
if that kind of bug was in an EA game people wouldn't be bitching 100
times more then they are at Sega?

> I would be just as upset if an exclusive license was sold to Sega. It's just
> a stupid-ass idea, no matter who gets it.

I'm not saying YOU wouldn't be. But of all the Sega fans that are so
pissed, I'd say only 5% would be upset if the roles were reversed.

> I'm not sure what you're talking about when you refer to the IGN NBA
> article. You mentioned my 'rant' about EA games on the blog, but I also
> posted on the blog the the NBA's 'rejection' of EA was nothing of a sort,
> just a refusal of the initial bid. So I think our perception of the NBA
> license is exactly the same.

I am not saying specifically ranted. That is out of context, my point
was, I am saying that you have every right to prefer game A over B and
every right to rant about what you want. Just don't assume because
someone thinks Game B is just as good as Game A is a fanboy and that is
what I thought you were doing.

> I think the reason that people are up in arms is that they don't believe any
> software company should 'own' the rights to a sport (own in the sense that
> only they can use the real player names, etc.). The EA Nascar and PGA deals
> snuck under most people's radars, but the NFL deal was too big to slip by.

While I agree with this, what can we do? The NFL can and will do
whatever they like with their product. I have and Love Sunday Ticket,
but I think it is shitty that it is only offered on DirecTV.

EA is playing by the rules, they acquired the license. Even if you
believe EA is the one who initiated this whole thing, the NFL had the
final say. If anyone should be held at fault it is the NFL.
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 10:40:10 PM

Hi Dan,
Turning off exhibition games and weekly prep reduces trade frequency. You'll
see 5-7 trades leaguewide over the course of a year. That reduces the bad
trade problem to a minimum, because only one or two of those trades will be
questionable (if that many). As for DB AI, all I can say is that with the
right sliders, no one's completing passes into triple coverage. It's a very
fair question to ask why we should have to tune gameplay sliders so much,
though--the out of the box settings were way off.

You're right about College Hoops. Once I stopped saving a custom profile,
the freezing stopped and I haven't had any since then. Without doing that,
though, you're absolutely right--lots of freezes.

Point taken about Game A versus Game B and fanboyism.

Agreed on the NFL being accountable as well.

"Dan S" <dan@work.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> thinks Game B is just as good as Game A is a fanboy and that is what I
> thought you were doing.
>
>> I think the reason that people are up in arms is that they don't believe
>> any software company should 'own' the rights to a sport (own in the sense
>> that only they can use the real player names, etc.). The EA Nascar and
>> PGA deals snuck under most people's radars, but the NFL deal was too big
>> to slip by.
>
> While I agree with this, what can we do? The NFL can and will do whatever
> they like with their product. I have and Love Sunday Ticket, but I think
> it is shitty that it is only offered on DirecTV.
>
> EA is playing by the rules, they acquired the license. Even if you believe
> EA is the one who initiated this whole thing, the NFL had the final say.
> If anyone should be held at fault it is the NFL.

December 28, 2004 10:40:11 PM

Bill Harris wrote:
> Hi Dan,
> Turning off exhibition games and weekly prep reduces trade frequency. You'll
> see 5-7 trades leaguewide over the course of a year. That reduces the bad
> trade problem to a minimum, because only one or two of those trades will be
> questionable (if that many). As for DB AI, all I can say is that with the
> right sliders, no one's completing passes into triple coverage. It's a very
> fair question to ask why we should have to tune gameplay sliders so much,
> though--the out of the box settings were way off.

Hmm I'd love to see those sliders, because I have not been able to
eliminate the DB AI. It kills me to see a guy catch a post and watch as
my Safety stands there and does nothing. I have no quams about adjusting
sliders to get a proper game, I was just unable to do it.

I honestly felt ESPN was one version away from being perfect, so I'm sad
that I will probably not get to find out if I was correct. Having said
all that, I still think Madden's franchise is better and I still have a
hard time with defensive control in ESPN.

> You're right about College Hoops. Once I stopped saving a custom profile,
> the freezing stopped and I haven't had any since then. Without doing that,
> though, you're absolutely right--lots of freezes.

This is my biggest disappointment of the year. I look forward to this
game every year, it is #1 on my must have list. To be unable to continue
a leagacy because of freezing has got me so down I am sour on ESPN right
now. I have tried everything from having 15 different saves, to no
profiles you name it. This is a random bug, which I think has a lot more
to do with the hardware then anything.

Glad we could continue this conversation is a civil manner, unheard of
for usenet. :)
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 3:05:39 AM

Dan,
Send me your e-mail address to billtakethisoutharris@austin.rr.com and I'll
send you the ESPN sliders. And if your Legacy locks up during the CPU
recruiting, I think I might have a fix for that.

!