notebook adapter does not recognize network

I just purchased the mn-820 wireless connectivity pack,
and so far have just been frustrated.

I installed the base station without trouble. However, I
first ran into trouble when install the wireless adapter
into my notebook (hp ze4125). My notebook does not have a
floppy drive, so I was unable to load the network settings
from the disk onto the computer. I opened the disk on my
base computer and had to manually input information. I
believe that I was able to input the correct information.

After doing this, the problem is that my notebook
w/adapter installed and powered does not recognize a
wireless network. The "wireless" light slowly blinks on
and off, never indicating any change. My computer says
that a "wireless network is available," but when I attempt
to log onto the network, nothing happens. I remain unable
to view the network. Then, after a few seconds, a bubble
will pop up saying that the "wireless network is
avaliable." The Microsoft Broadband Network Utility does
not detect any signal, however, currently my laptop is
sitting 6 inches from the base state. I've done
everything I know to and am about to take this product
back to the store. Does anyone have any ideas?????
7 answers Last reply
More about notebook adapter recognize network

    Dumb Question... do you have encryption set up on your
    base station?

    Godd question, wedge. Also, what do you mean "log onto
    the network"? Go to "Tools" in the Broadband Utility.
    Select "adapter" and "connect". How many WiFi's are
    available to you? More than one? Your adapter may be
    trying to setup for another network, not yours. Make
    sure yours is the default, first choice.

    initially, yes I did. However, to make tinkering with
    settings easier, I disabled it. HOWEVER, the wireless
    card does not "see" the network regardless of security
    settings. My notebook does recognize the adapter card.
    The base station is not the problem. My sister has a
    notebook with a built-in wireless G card, and has no
    problem connecting to the network/internet.

    Does anyone have any clue what might be going on here?

    Channel and you're part of the correct Workgroup. If you're on Windows XP,
    you can quickly check the latter by right-clicking My Computer, select
    Properties and then go to the Computer Name tab. The Workgroup is listed in
    the center.

    If you go to the Command Prompt (not Start/Run) and type in "ipconfig"
    without the quotes, are you seeing an IP number within your own LAN range?
    If not, try typing "ipconfig /release" followed by "ipconfig /renew" to
    reset the system. Restart your computer, and see if it'll connect.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP

    > initially, yes I did. However, to make tinkering with
    > settings easier, I disabled it. HOWEVER, the wireless
    > card does not "see" the network regardless of security
    > settings. My notebook does recognize the adapter card.
    > The base station is not the problem. My sister has a
    > notebook with a built-in wireless G card, and has no
    > problem connecting to the network/internet.
    >
    > Does anyone have any clue what might be going on here?

    Ok, I've completed the following suggestions. Here are
    the results:

    Both router and adapter are set for channel 6.

    Both workgroups are the same.

    ipconfig shows: <media state.........:media disconnect>
    (though I promise, it is not)

    cannot perform ipconfig/release or ipconfig/renew because
    computer DOES NOT have a network connection.

    So the problem that remains that with the router running
    properly (as confirmed by my sisters laptop accessing
    wireless network with ease), my computer - with adapter
    installed - fails to recognize the network. Periodically
    the computer tells me that a network is available. (This
    network has the correct name). However, when I go to sign
    onto this network nothing happens. After another brief
    interavle, the computer will again tell me that the
    wireless network is available... and the cycle continues.

    Microsoft broadband utility shows no signal. However,
    there is definately a signal because my sisters computer
    can use it. My adapter has power (the power LED is on
    constantly), but the "wireless" steadly drones from on to
    off at a steady pace.

    PLEASE HELP. I'm very frustrated. Could this possibly be
    a hardware compatability issue? I don't know what else to
    try.

    Thanks

    looking on the correct
    >Channel and you're part of the correct Workgroup. If
    you're on Windows XP,
    >you can quickly check the latter by right-clicking My
    Computer, select
    >Properties and then go to the Computer Name tab. The
    Workgroup is listed in
    >the center.
    >
    >If you go to the Command Prompt (not Start/Run) and type
    in "ipconfig"
    >without the quotes, are you seeing an IP number within
    your own LAN range?
    >If not, try typing "ipconfig /release" followed
    by "ipconfig /renew" to
    >reset the system. Restart your computer, and see if
    it'll connect.
    >--
    >Chris H.
    >Microsoft Windows MVP
    >Tablet Creations - http://nicecreations.us/
    >Associate Expert

    >> initially, yes I did. However, to make tinkering with
    >> settings easier, I disabled it. HOWEVER, the wireless
    >> card does not "see" the network regardless of security
    >> settings. My notebook does recognize the adapter card.
    >> The base station is not the problem. My sister has a
    >> notebook with a built-in wireless G card, and has no
    >> problem connecting to the network/internet.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any clue what might be going on here?

    Take a look at your sister's setup, and compare the machines, side-by-side.
    Have you looked in Network Connections to see if any of the built-in
    networking hardware is bridged? If so, you'll probably not get anywhere.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP

    > Ok, I've completed the following suggestions. Here are
    > the results:
    >
    > Both router and adapter are set for channel 6.
    >
    > Both workgroups are the same.
    >
    > ipconfig shows: <media state.........:media disconnect>
    > (though I promise, it is not)
    >
    > cannot perform ipconfig/release or ipconfig/renew because
    > computer DOES NOT have a network connection.
    >
    > So the problem that remains that with the router running
    > properly (as confirmed by my sisters laptop accessing
    > wireless network with ease), my computer - with adapter
    > installed - fails to recognize the network. Periodically
    > the computer tells me that a network is available. (This
    > network has the correct name). However, when I go to sign
    > onto this network nothing happens. After another brief
    > interavle, the computer will again tell me that the
    > wireless network is available... and the cycle continues.
    >
    > Microsoft broadband utility shows no signal. However,
    > there is definately a signal because my sisters computer
    > can use it. My adapter has power (the power LED is on
    > constantly), but the "wireless" steadly drones from on to
    > off at a steady pace.
    >
    > PLEASE HELP. I'm very frustrated. Could this possibly be
    > a hardware compatability issue? I don't know what else to
    > try.
    >
    > Thanks

    Change the channel on the base station and the adapter to 1. It fixed my
    problem with a HP ze4610. Unfortunately it doesn't do you any good away
    from home and HP has no suggestions...

    Verloren

    In article <11b9e01c441fe$ea18f7e0$a101280a@phx.gbl>,
    anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says...
    > I just purchased the mn-820 wireless connectivity pack,
    > and so far have just been frustrated.
    >
    > I installed the base station without trouble. However, I
    > first ran into trouble when install the wireless adapter
    > into my notebook (hp ze4125). My notebook does not have a
    > floppy drive, so I was unable to load the network settings
    > from the disk onto the computer. I opened the disk on my
    > base computer and had to manually input information. I
    > believe that I was able to input the correct information.
    >
    > After doing this, the problem is that my notebook
    > w/adapter installed and powered does not recognize a
    > wireless network. The "wireless" light slowly blinks on
    > and off, never indicating any change. My computer says
    > that a "wireless network is available," but when I attempt
    > to log onto the network, nothing happens. I remain unable
    > to view the network. Then, after a few seconds, a bubble
    > will pop up saying that the "wireless network is
    > avaliable." The Microsoft Broadband Network Utility does
    > not detect any signal, however, currently my laptop is
    > sitting 6 inches from the base state. I've done
    > everything I know to and am about to take this product
    > back to the store. Does anyone have any ideas?????

Routers Notebooks Networking