notebook adapter does not recognize network

I just purchased the mn-820 wireless connectivity pack,
and so far have just been frustrated.

I installed the base station without trouble. However, I
first ran into trouble when install the wireless adapter
into my notebook (hp ze4125). My notebook does not have a
floppy drive, so I was unable to load the network settings
from the disk onto the computer. I opened the disk on my
base computer and had to manually input information. I
believe that I was able to input the correct information.

After doing this, the problem is that my notebook
w/adapter installed and powered does not recognize a
wireless network. The "wireless" light slowly blinks on
and off, never indicating any change. My computer says
that a "wireless network is available," but when I attempt
to log onto the network, nothing happens. I remain unable
to view the network. Then, after a few seconds, a bubble
will pop up saying that the "wireless network is
avaliable." The Microsoft Broadband Network Utility does
not detect any signal, however, currently my laptop is
sitting 6 inches from the base state. I've done
everything I know to and am about to take this product
back to the store. Does anyone have any ideas?????

wedge

Distinguished
May 25, 2004

Dumb Question... do you have encryption set up on your
base station?

Godd question, wedge. Also, what do you mean "log onto
the network"? Go to "Tools" in the Broadband Utility.
Select "adapter" and "connect". How many WiFi's are
available to you? More than one? Your adapter may be
trying to setup for another network, not yours. Make
sure yours is the default, first choice.

initially, yes I did. However, to make tinkering with
settings easier, I disabled it. HOWEVER, the wireless
card does not "see" the network regardless of security
settings. My notebook does recognize the adapter card.
The base station is not the problem. My sister has a
notebook with a built-in wireless G card, and has no
problem connecting to the network/internet.

Does anyone have any clue what might be going on here?

Channel and you're part of the correct Workgroup. If you're on Windows XP,
you can quickly check the latter by right-clicking My Computer, select
Properties and then go to the Computer Name tab. The Workgroup is listed in
the center.

If you go to the Command Prompt (not Start/Run) and type in "ipconfig"
without the quotes, are you seeing an IP number within your own LAN range?
If not, try typing "ipconfig /release" followed by "ipconfig /renew" to
reset the system. Restart your computer, and see if it'll connect.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP

> initially, yes I did. However, to make tinkering with
> settings easier, I disabled it. HOWEVER, the wireless
> card does not "see" the network regardless of security
> settings. My notebook does recognize the adapter card.
> The base station is not the problem. My sister has a
> notebook with a built-in wireless G card, and has no
> problem connecting to the network/internet.
>
> Does anyone have any clue what might be going on here?

Ok, I've completed the following suggestions. Here are
the results:

Both router and adapter are set for channel 6.

Both workgroups are the same.

ipconfig shows: <media state.........:media disconnect>
(though I promise, it is not)

cannot perform ipconfig/release or ipconfig/renew because
computer DOES NOT have a network connection.

So the problem that remains that with the router running
properly (as confirmed by my sisters laptop accessing
wireless network with ease), my computer - with adapter
installed - fails to recognize the network. Periodically
the computer tells me that a network is available. (This
network has the correct name). However, when I go to sign
onto this network nothing happens. After another brief
interavle, the computer will again tell me that the
wireless network is available... and the cycle continues.

Microsoft broadband utility shows no signal. However,
there is definately a signal because my sisters computer
can use it. My adapter has power (the power LED is on
constantly), but the "wireless" steadly drones from on to
off at a steady pace.

PLEASE HELP. I'm very frustrated. Could this possibly be
a hardware compatability issue? I don't know what else to
try.

Thanks

looking on the correct
>Channel and you're part of the correct Workgroup. If
you're on Windows XP,
>you can quickly check the latter by right-clicking My
Computer, select
>Properties and then go to the Computer Name tab. The
Workgroup is listed in
>the center.
>
>If you go to the Command Prompt (not Start/Run) and type
in "ipconfig"
>without the quotes, are you seeing an IP number within
your own LAN range?
>If not, try typing "ipconfig /release" followed
by "ipconfig /renew" to
>reset the system. Restart your computer, and see if
it'll connect.
>--
>Chris H.
>Microsoft Windows MVP
>Tablet Creations - http://nicecreations.us/
>Associate Expert

>> initially, yes I did. However, to make tinkering with
>> settings easier, I disabled it. HOWEVER, the wireless
>> card does not "see" the network regardless of security
>> settings. My notebook does recognize the adapter card.
>> The base station is not the problem. My sister has a
>> notebook with a built-in wireless G card, and has no
>> problem connecting to the network/internet.
>>
>> Does anyone have any clue what might be going on here?

Take a look at your sister's setup, and compare the machines, side-by-side.
Have you looked in Network Connections to see if any of the built-in
networking hardware is bridged? If so, you'll probably not get anywhere.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP

> Ok, I've completed the following suggestions. Here are
> the results:
>
> Both router and adapter are set for channel 6.
>
> Both workgroups are the same.
>
> ipconfig shows: <media state.........:media disconnect>
> (though I promise, it is not)
>
> cannot perform ipconfig/release or ipconfig/renew because
> computer DOES NOT have a network connection.
>
> So the problem that remains that with the router running
> properly (as confirmed by my sisters laptop accessing
> wireless network with ease), my computer - with adapter
> installed - fails to recognize the network. Periodically
> the computer tells me that a network is available. (This
> network has the correct name). However, when I go to sign
> onto this network nothing happens. After another brief
> interavle, the computer will again tell me that the
> wireless network is available... and the cycle continues.
>
> Microsoft broadband utility shows no signal. However,
> there is definately a signal because my sisters computer
> can use it. My adapter has power (the power LED is on
> constantly), but the "wireless" steadly drones from on to
> off at a steady pace.
>
> PLEASE HELP. I'm very frustrated. Could this possibly be
> a hardware compatability issue? I don't know what else to
> try.
>
> Thanks

Change the channel on the base station and the adapter to 1. It fixed my
problem with a HP ze4610. Unfortunately it doesn't do you any good away
from home and HP has no suggestions...

Verloren

In article <11b9e01c441fe$ea18f7e0$a101280a@phx.gbl>,
anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says...