TroyHopson

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
I'm obviously not a tech head (lol). Question is, being almost brand new to desktop computers, I am wondering how the hell to connect one to the internet... Probably one of the dumbest questions you'll ever see, but IDK what to buy to connect to the internet. My gaming station in in my 'man cave' in the basement, and my wife wants it to stay there, so if I have to drill a hole in the floor for a cable then that's what I gotta do. But I figured I'd ask this here first and figure it out now. What do I need to connect this computer to the Wireless Router upstairs?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227443 :hello:
Edit: I guess it's better just to ask, will a ethernet cable work? I'd much rather spend less money AND get a better signal for some pretty demanding games, and drill a hole. Just need to know if a cable would work or not.

Solution
Yes - Category 5e is what I would use. It's going to be easier and cheaper to drill a larger hole to accommodate the plug than buying cable and plugs - the patience of fitting those jacks for the first time could drive you mad, not to mention buying the tools!
Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

A cable will probably be your best bet to get the best out of your gaming machine but wireless is more flexible in serving other computers in the house. Routers are fairly cheap these days and if you already have one, why not make use of it?

Everything you need to know about how to find the password the computer needs to know - also known as the security key - is in our Sticky Post on the subject and here is a link to it. http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/38111-18-find-change-wireless-security

Yes - Category 5e is what I would use. It's going to be easier and cheaper to drill a larger hole to accommodate the plug than buying cable and plugs - the patience of fitting those jacks for the first time could drive you mad, not to mention buying the tools!

Solution

TroyHopson

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013