EA got NFL license, no big deal

Any of you grew up playing Front Page Sports Football? They didn't get
NFLPA license on their first 2 version and we enjoyed that game
immensely. EA got sole license on NFLPA, it's not that big of a deal.
We'll just have to deal with minor adjustments. Other companies will
just use numbers instead of names. Instead of Jaguars, they'll say
Jacksonville. I'm sure Sega/Sony will allow you to edit player/team
names. Besides that, you would probably be able to download these
edited names if you own an Xbox/PC version. If you turn off the
announcer (who doesn't?), you wouldn't notice the difference. Logos
will be the only thing that'll be missing.

Look at the bright side. Without the NFLPA license, the prices of
football games will hopefully be lower. Maybe Sega will keep the
$19.99 price tag. It'll also force their game developers to be more
competitive than EA. Without the NFLPA license "feature", they'll have
to rely on something else to attract buyers just like Front Page Sports
FB had to rely on GM and chalkboard features.

This genre have been stagnant the last 3 years. It needed something
like this to happen.

chromallly wrote:
> Any of you grew up playing Front Page Sports Football? They didn't get
> NFLPA license on their first 2 version and we enjoyed that game
> immensely. EA got sole license on NFLPA, it's not that big of a deal.
> We'll just have to deal with minor adjustments. Other companies will
> just use numbers instead of names. Instead of Jaguars, they'll say
> Jacksonville. I'm sure Sega/Sony will allow you to edit player/team
> names. Besides that, you would probably be able to download these
> edited names if you own an Xbox/PC version. If you turn off the
> announcer (who doesn't?), you wouldn't notice the difference. Logos
> will be the only thing that'll be missing.
>
> Look at the bright side. Without the NFLPA license, the prices of
> football games will hopefully be lower. Maybe Sega will keep the
> $19.99 price tag. It'll also force their game developers to be more
> competitive than EA. Without the NFLPA license "feature", they'll have
> to rely on something else to attract buyers just like Front Page Sports
> FB had to rely on GM and chalkboard features.
>
> This genre have been stagnant the last 3 years. It needed something
> like this to happen.

Good premise, but FPSFB was a different era. Things are different in the
console age. Sega was already taking a gamble by cutting the price this
year, it worked they got the market share. But EA then took the market
back with cash.

They might be far enough along in developement to release a game next
season, but it won't make a lot of money without a license. I will be
surprised if we even get a ESPN2K6.

> Good premise, but FPSFB was a different era. Things are different in
the
> console age. Sega was already taking a gamble by cutting the price
this
> year, it worked they got the market share. But EA then took the
market
> back with cash.
>
> They might be far enough along in developement to release a game next

> season, but it won't make a lot of money without a license. I will be

> surprised if we even get a ESPN2K6.

We'll have to wait and see. I never like NFLPA license because
football games try to simulate the NFL rather than simulate real
football. People complain why is Favre not running enough, why is this
guy not getting enough yards, why this guy didn't get enough sacks.
Another waste of developers time is the signature moves and
celebration. Yeah, that's football alright.

2 years from now, it'll be choice between a game with NFLPA license or
a game with better gameplay. The one with the NFLPA license will be
the same rehash we get year after year. The latter one will be the one
that sets new standards on FB games.

chromallly wrote:
>>Good premise, but FPSFB was a different era. Things are different in
>
> the
>
>>console age. Sega was already taking a gamble by cutting the price
>
> this
>
>>year, it worked they got the market share. But EA then took the
>
> market
>
>>back with cash.
>>
>>They might be far enough along in developement to release a game next
>

>>season, but it won't make a lot of money without a license. I will be
>

>>surprised if we even get a ESPN2K6.
>

> We'll have to wait and see. I never like NFLPA license because
> football games try to simulate the NFL rather than simulate real
> football. People complain why is Favre not running enough, why is this
> guy not getting enough yards, why this guy didn't get enough sacks.
> Another waste of developers time is the signature moves and
> celebration. Yeah, that's football alright.
>
> 2 years from now, it'll be choice between a game with NFLPA license or
> a game with better gameplay. The one with the NFLPA license will be
> the same rehash we get year after year. The latter one will be the one
> that sets new standards on FB games.

Let me ask you a simple question since it is apparent now that the
rallying call of Sega fans is we don't need a license.

If you don't need a license to be succesful, then why is everyone so
upset about the deal EA signed?

I mean if they can survive on producing the better football game without
a license, and most Sega fans argue that NFL2K4 was a better game (and
had a license) then Madden, how come they had to resort to lowering the
price to $20?

I could answer your questions but all it will be is just speculations,
and those thread will take forever. Let's just wait until Sega release
their first non-NFLPA football game and see how that goes.

chromallly wrote:
> I could answer your questions but all it will be is just speculations,
> and those thread will take forever. Let's just wait until Sega release
> their first non-NFLPA football game and see how that goes.

Sure, point me to the link when they announce they are going to do so.

> Sure, point me to the link when they announce they are going to do
so.

How about you point me to the link where Sega says they won't make any
more football games? FB season isn't over yet, there's plenty of time
to make their announcement.

chromallly wrote:
>>Sure, point me to the link when they announce they are going to do
>
> so.
>
> How about you point me to the link where Sega says they won't make any
> more football games? FB season isn't over yet, there's plenty of time
> to make their announcement.

I never said they wouldn't make any more football games. I said an
unlicensed game will not be profitable. Luckly Take Two has half a
brain, so it is unlikely they will green light a non money making
project like an unlicensed NFL game.

I think you will see a college game, don't know if they can get it done
for 2K6 or not. But that is the best route they can follow.

But hey, you never know Sega is still involved and they are very good at
losing money so there is always the slim chance of an unlicensed
game...keep the faith.

>Luckly Take Two has half a brain, so it is unlikely they will green light a non money making
project like an unlicensed NFL game.

Have to correct myself, I meant unlicensed football game with NFL rules.

The way I see it, I figure Sega must already be halfway done with their
NFL2k6 expecting their license will get renewed, but obviously didn't.
They could either give up or release the 2k6 version just to test the
market. Sega football line has been around for more than a decade now,
I just don't think they'll quit without testing the market at least
once. So before we completely give up on them, how about we cut them
some slack and give them some time first? EA just made their NFLPA
license announcement this week. You think Sega closed down their
football project the next day and went on vacation for the next 5 years?

chromallly wrote:
> The way I see it, I figure Sega must already be halfway done with their
> NFL2k6 expecting their license will get renewed, but obviously didn't.
> They could either give up or release the 2k6 version just to test the
> market. Sega football line has been around for more than a decade now,
> I just don't think they'll quit without testing the market at least
> once. So before we completely give up on them, how about we cut them
> some slack and give them some time first? EA just made their NFLPA
> license announcement this week. You think Sega closed down their
> football project the next day and went on vacation for the next 5 years?

Arguing with you is tiring because you just don't get it.

You think they are halfway done with 2K6, in December.... you really
don't have any clue do you. As usual you've once again changed tacts in
this discussion and put words in my mouth.

Here is a quote from my first post:

"They might be far enough along in developement to release a game next
season, but it won't make a lot of money without a license. I will be
surprised if we even get a ESPN2K6. "

Again, did I say they quit. You should really improve your reading
comprehensions skills, I said an unlicensed game WILL NOT MAKE ANY MONEY
can you get it now?

Let me quote myself again, since you seem to think I said they will quit
making football games (even though I never said that):

"I never said they wouldn't make any more football games. I said an
unlicensed game will not be profitable."

"I think you will see a college game, don't know if they can get it done
for 2K6 or not. But that is the best route they can follow."

Since this will be my final post to you let me summarize:

1.Sega was getting their ass kicked, last year didn't even break 500k in
sales.
2. They lowered their prices, and increased their market share because
of the price drop.
3. They now have no NFL license, if they were to release an unlicensed
game with no "gimmick" their sales would at best go back to #1. (I know
you don't believe this, nothing I can do to fix that)
4. So depending on how far along they were in devlopement they can do
one of 3 things:

a) Switch to a college game
b) release an unlicensed game, but more then likely cut any large
devlopement costs to the title knowing it will not make any cash.
c)Pack up 2K6 and use that money to acquire their own deal with the NBA
or MLB etc.

Finally as my lst point, if you don't think games get killed when they
are far along in the development cycle then you don't know much about
this industry.

<LONG ASS SNIP>

blah blah blah blah.....
It's only a game Dannyboy. You're getting worked up over nothing.

I like to make a prediction on what SayGa will do next year. SayGa will
release ESPN Maximum Football in late September. Why September? They (SayGa)
will no longer have to compete with an NFL game and will give them the extra
time to hype and finish the game. Since it will not have a NFL license,
SayGa will finally promote the game properly with the extra cash. The hype
will be so great that it will sell (remember The Matrix Game) with a good
marketing campaign, you could sell anything!

Key feature will be a player editor that not only allows you to change name,
DOB, hometown, college, attributes, years in league, etc. But facial
features also (ala Tiger Woods).
A schedule editor to change your games to play teams you want to! Make it
harder or a walk in the park season.

No more player photos! Yeah, they will use 3D player portraits (ala NBA
live). No more cut out player or shadow portraits! Create a player and his
player picture will be in 3D baby!

New tools also include a stadium editor for those stadium upgrades after
having an excellent year with more money to spend. Want to relocate a team?
No problem, packem up and move them. You'll be able to edit your stadium as
you see fit. New field logos, stadium wall flags, you can even change the
color of your seats!

My favorite tool has to be the new logo designer. I'm sick of having to use
those stupid dragons and jet fighters for my create a team. Now I can design
a logo for my hillbilly Eskimos!

New updated player names with new recordings with a new play by play team
from ESPN.

New uniform editor with feature more deeper then Maddens!

Of coarse SayGa could just stick their heads between their legs and
fold...who knows?