EA got NFL license, no big deal

Any of you grew up playing Front Page Sports Football? They didn't get
NFLPA license on their first 2 version and we enjoyed that game
immensely. EA got sole license on NFLPA, it's not that big of a deal.
We'll just have to deal with minor adjustments. Other companies will
just use numbers instead of names. Instead of Jaguars, they'll say
Jacksonville. I'm sure Sega/Sony will allow you to edit player/team
names. Besides that, you would probably be able to download these
edited names if you own an Xbox/PC version. If you turn off the
announcer (who doesn't?), you wouldn't notice the difference. Logos
will be the only thing that'll be missing.

Look at the bright side. Without the NFLPA license, the prices of
football games will hopefully be lower. Maybe Sega will keep the
$19.99 price tag. It'll also force their game developers to be more
competitive than EA. Without the NFLPA license "feature", they'll have
to rely on something else to attract buyers just like Front Page Sports
FB had to rely on GM and chalkboard features.

This genre have been stagnant the last 3 years. It needed something
like this to happen.
12 answers Last reply
More about license deal
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    chromallly wrote:
    > Any of you grew up playing Front Page Sports Football? They didn't get
    > NFLPA license on their first 2 version and we enjoyed that game
    > immensely. EA got sole license on NFLPA, it's not that big of a deal.
    > We'll just have to deal with minor adjustments. Other companies will
    > just use numbers instead of names. Instead of Jaguars, they'll say
    > Jacksonville. I'm sure Sega/Sony will allow you to edit player/team
    > names. Besides that, you would probably be able to download these
    > edited names if you own an Xbox/PC version. If you turn off the
    > announcer (who doesn't?), you wouldn't notice the difference. Logos
    > will be the only thing that'll be missing.
    >
    > Look at the bright side. Without the NFLPA license, the prices of
    > football games will hopefully be lower. Maybe Sega will keep the
    > $19.99 price tag. It'll also force their game developers to be more
    > competitive than EA. Without the NFLPA license "feature", they'll have
    > to rely on something else to attract buyers just like Front Page Sports
    > FB had to rely on GM and chalkboard features.
    >
    > This genre have been stagnant the last 3 years. It needed something
    > like this to happen.

    Good premise, but FPSFB was a different era. Things are different in the
    console age. Sega was already taking a gamble by cutting the price this
    year, it worked they got the market share. But EA then took the market
    back with cash.

    They might be far enough along in developement to release a game next
    season, but it won't make a lot of money without a license. I will be
    surprised if we even get a ESPN2K6.
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    > Good premise, but FPSFB was a different era. Things are different in
    the
    > console age. Sega was already taking a gamble by cutting the price
    this
    > year, it worked they got the market share. But EA then took the
    market
    > back with cash.
    >
    > They might be far enough along in developement to release a game next

    > season, but it won't make a lot of money without a license. I will be

    > surprised if we even get a ESPN2K6.

    We'll have to wait and see. I never like NFLPA license because
    football games try to simulate the NFL rather than simulate real
    football. People complain why is Favre not running enough, why is this
    guy not getting enough yards, why this guy didn't get enough sacks.
    Another waste of developers time is the signature moves and
    celebration. Yeah, that's football alright.

    2 years from now, it'll be choice between a game with NFLPA license or
    a game with better gameplay. The one with the NFLPA license will be
    the same rehash we get year after year. The latter one will be the one
    that sets new standards on FB games.
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    chromallly wrote:
    >>Good premise, but FPSFB was a different era. Things are different in
    >
    > the
    >
    >>console age. Sega was already taking a gamble by cutting the price
    >
    > this
    >
    >>year, it worked they got the market share. But EA then took the
    >
    > market
    >
    >>back with cash.
    >>
    >>They might be far enough along in developement to release a game next
    >

    >>season, but it won't make a lot of money without a license. I will be
    >

    >>surprised if we even get a ESPN2K6.
    >

    > We'll have to wait and see. I never like NFLPA license because
    > football games try to simulate the NFL rather than simulate real
    > football. People complain why is Favre not running enough, why is this
    > guy not getting enough yards, why this guy didn't get enough sacks.
    > Another waste of developers time is the signature moves and
    > celebration. Yeah, that's football alright.
    >
    > 2 years from now, it'll be choice between a game with NFLPA license or
    > a game with better gameplay. The one with the NFLPA license will be
    > the same rehash we get year after year. The latter one will be the one
    > that sets new standards on FB games.

    Let me ask you a simple question since it is apparent now that the
    rallying call of Sega fans is we don't need a license.

    If you don't need a license to be succesful, then why is everyone so
    upset about the deal EA signed?

    I mean if they can survive on producing the better football game without
    a license, and most Sega fans argue that NFL2K4 was a better game (and
    had a license) then Madden, how come they had to resort to lowering the
    price to $20?
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    I could answer your questions but all it will be is just speculations,
    and those thread will take forever. Let's just wait until Sega release
    their first non-NFLPA football game and see how that goes.
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    chromallly wrote:
    > I could answer your questions but all it will be is just speculations,
    > and those thread will take forever. Let's just wait until Sega release
    > their first non-NFLPA football game and see how that goes.

    Sure, point me to the link when they announce they are going to do so.
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    > Sure, point me to the link when they announce they are going to do
    so.

    How about you point me to the link where Sega says they won't make any
    more football games? FB season isn't over yet, there's plenty of time
    to make their announcement.
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    chromallly wrote:
    >>Sure, point me to the link when they announce they are going to do
    >
    > so.
    >
    > How about you point me to the link where Sega says they won't make any
    > more football games? FB season isn't over yet, there's plenty of time
    > to make their announcement.

    I never said they wouldn't make any more football games. I said an
    unlicensed game will not be profitable. Luckly Take Two has half a
    brain, so it is unlikely they will green light a non money making
    project like an unlicensed NFL game.

    I think you will see a college game, don't know if they can get it done
    for 2K6 or not. But that is the best route they can follow.

    But hey, you never know Sega is still involved and they are very good at
    losing money so there is always the slim chance of an unlicensed
    game...keep the faith.
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    >Luckly Take Two has half a brain, so it is unlikely they will green light a non money making
    project like an unlicensed NFL game.

    Have to correct myself, I meant unlicensed football game with NFL rules.
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    The way I see it, I figure Sega must already be halfway done with their
    NFL2k6 expecting their license will get renewed, but obviously didn't.
    They could either give up or release the 2k6 version just to test the
    market. Sega football line has been around for more than a decade now,
    I just don't think they'll quit without testing the market at least
    once. So before we completely give up on them, how about we cut them
    some slack and give them some time first? EA just made their NFLPA
    license announcement this week. You think Sega closed down their
    football project the next day and went on vacation for the next 5 years?
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    chromallly wrote:
    > The way I see it, I figure Sega must already be halfway done with their
    > NFL2k6 expecting their license will get renewed, but obviously didn't.
    > They could either give up or release the 2k6 version just to test the
    > market. Sega football line has been around for more than a decade now,
    > I just don't think they'll quit without testing the market at least
    > once. So before we completely give up on them, how about we cut them
    > some slack and give them some time first? EA just made their NFLPA
    > license announcement this week. You think Sega closed down their
    > football project the next day and went on vacation for the next 5 years?

    Arguing with you is tiring because you just don't get it.

    You think they are halfway done with 2K6, in December.... you really
    don't have any clue do you. As usual you've once again changed tacts in
    this discussion and put words in my mouth.

    Here is a quote from my first post:

    "They might be far enough along in developement to release a game next
    season, but it won't make a lot of money without a license. I will be
    surprised if we even get a ESPN2K6. "

    Again, did I say they quit. You should really improve your reading
    comprehensions skills, I said an unlicensed game WILL NOT MAKE ANY MONEY
    can you get it now?

    Let me quote myself again, since you seem to think I said they will quit
    making football games (even though I never said that):

    "I never said they wouldn't make any more football games. I said an
    unlicensed game will not be profitable."

    "I think you will see a college game, don't know if they can get it done
    for 2K6 or not. But that is the best route they can follow."

    Since this will be my final post to you let me summarize:

    1.Sega was getting their ass kicked, last year didn't even break 500k in
    sales.
    2. They lowered their prices, and increased their market share because
    of the price drop.
    3. They now have no NFL license, if they were to release an unlicensed
    game with no "gimmick" their sales would at best go back to #1. (I know
    you don't believe this, nothing I can do to fix that)
    4. So depending on how far along they were in devlopement they can do
    one of 3 things:

    a) Switch to a college game
    b) release an unlicensed game, but more then likely cut any large
    devlopement costs to the title knowing it will not make any cash.
    c)Pack up 2K6 and use that money to acquire their own deal with the NBA
    or MLB etc.

    Finally as my lst point, if you don't think games get killed when they
    are far along in the development cycle then you don't know much about
    this industry.
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    <LONG ASS SNIP>

    blah blah blah blah.....
    It's only a game Dannyboy. You're getting worked up over nothing.
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    I like to make a prediction on what SayGa will do next year. SayGa will
    release ESPN Maximum Football in late September. Why September? They (SayGa)
    will no longer have to compete with an NFL game and will give them the extra
    time to hype and finish the game. Since it will not have a NFL license,
    SayGa will finally promote the game properly with the extra cash. The hype
    will be so great that it will sell (remember The Matrix Game) with a good
    marketing campaign, you could sell anything!

    Key feature will be a player editor that not only allows you to change name,
    DOB, hometown, college, attributes, years in league, etc. But facial
    features also (ala Tiger Woods).
    A schedule editor to change your games to play teams you want to! Make it
    harder or a walk in the park season.

    No more player photos! Yeah, they will use 3D player portraits (ala NBA
    live). No more cut out player or shadow portraits! Create a player and his
    player picture will be in 3D baby!

    New tools also include a stadium editor for those stadium upgrades after
    having an excellent year with more money to spend. Want to relocate a team?
    No problem, packem up and move them. You'll be able to edit your stadium as
    you see fit. New field logos, stadium wall flags, you can even change the
    color of your seats!

    My favorite tool has to be the new logo designer. I'm sick of having to use
    those stupid dragons and jet fighters for my create a team. Now I can design
    a logo for my hillbilly Eskimos!

    New updated player names with new recordings with a new play by play team
    from ESPN.

    New uniform editor with feature more deeper then Maddens!

    Of coarse SayGa could just stick their heads between their legs and
    fold...who knows?

PC gaming Games License Video Games Product