Computer based Mixing and Recording

Last response: in Home Audio
February 20, 2005 8:30:13 PM

Hi all, I have been a live sound tech for 7 years and am looking to
get into computer based recording and mixing. I only have about a
thousand dollars to spend (after the initial power book purchase) to
spend on a firewire interface and software. Any ideas?????

I am looking to completly bypass the mackie sound board that I have
been using.

Thank you ahead of time for your input....
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 10:16:33 PM

I need to be able to record 12-16 tracks max

I am not really knowledgable with any of the software out there.
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 10:16:35 PM

I need to be able to record 12-16 tracks max

I am not really knowledgable with any of the software out there.
February 20, 2005 10:20:01 PM

I was thinking about the firepod from prosonus which comes with cubase
le, but for every 10 people I talk to I get 10 different answers.
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 10:47:39 PM

I'm sorry kind of new at this newsgroup thing.

Anyway that is 12-16 TOTAL inputs needed.

thanks for your help
February 20, 2005 10:49:23 PM

jonlillie@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi all, I have been a live sound tech for 7 years and am looking to
> get into computer based recording and mixing. I only have about a
> thousand dollars to spend (after the initial power book purchase) to
> spend on a firewire interface and software. Any ideas?????

How many tracks do you want to be able to record at one time? Are you
familiar with any software already?

--
Eric

www.Raw-Tracks.com
www.Mad-Host.com
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 11:13:04 PM

I'll check it out thanks
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 11:18:01 PM

Question??? Why do I need a lightpipe??(exactly please)

And where can I get one.
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 11:52:25 PM

jonlillie@gmail.com wrote:
> Question??? Why do I need a lightpipe??(exactly please)
>
> And where can I get one.

The 828 has 16 channel capability via the firewire
but only 8 audio ins and outs. The lightpipe will
let you bring in another 8 channels by using a
separate 8 channel A-D into the 828 on the
lightpipe in. (lipghtpipe carries 8 channels
of audio @ 48kHz) This is a common setup.
Kind of like a generic version of "ProTools"
Frontier's Tango 24 (for example) will give
you 8 audio I/O via the lightpipe.
Are you sure you want to do this on a laptop ?
Why not a HD24 with the fireport ?

rd
February 21, 2005 12:41:51 AM

jonlillie@gmail.com wrote:
> I need to be able to record 12-16 tracks max

12-16 at a time? Or 12-16 total? What I'm getting at is do you need an
interface with 2 ins, 8 ins, or more? That will help to determine which
interface to purchase.

--
Eric

www.Raw-Tracks.com
www.Mad-Host.com
February 21, 2005 1:03:56 AM

jonlillie@gmail.com wrote:

> I'm sorry kind of new at this newsgroup thing.
>
> Anyway that is 12-16 TOTAL inputs needed.
>
> thanks for your help

You could take a look at the MOTU 828mkII. That will give you 8 analog
and 8 digital i/o via LightPipe. You will need to get an 8 channel
analog to digital converter with lightpipe i/o. The 828 will come with
recording software for Mac.

--
Eric

www.Raw-Tracks.com
www.Mad-Host.com
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 2:49:02 AM

Planing on using the laptop for school (i'm on a tight budget). So it
needs to be done on the laptop.

Thank you for the info on the lightpipe
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 5:06:08 AM

You might check out a version of Cubase that comes with an interface. It
might be called Cubase Studio.

Bill

<jonlillie@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all, I have been a live sound tech for 7 years and am looking to
> get into computer based recording and mixing. I only have about a
> thousand dollars to spend (after the initial power book purchase) to
> spend on a firewire interface and software. Any ideas?????
>
> I am looking to completly bypass the mackie sound board that I have
> been using.
>
> Thank you ahead of time for your input....

February 21, 2005 6:00:41 AM

Same here, but I am considering the mackie onyx 1620 with firewire
option which i think can be had for about 1K... see above thread....
looking forward to this one! Peter

On 20 Feb 2005 17:30:13 -0800, "jonlillie@gmail.com"
<jonlillie@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi all, I have been a live sound tech for 7 years and am looking to
>get into computer based recording and mixing. I only have about a
>thousand dollars to spend (after the initial power book purchase) to
>spend on a firewire interface and software. Any ideas?????
>
>I am looking to completly bypass the mackie sound board that I have
>been using.
>
>Thank you ahead of time for your input....
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 7:28:43 AM

jonlillie@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm sorry kind of new at this newsgroup thing.
>
> Anyway that is 12-16 TOTAL inputs needed.

how many outputs?

dale
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 11:41:30 AM

> Question??? Why do I need a lightpipe??(exactly please)

To get more than 8 analog inputs with the Motu box that was recomended.

AFAIK Motu does have a 24 -input box but the inputs are all line-level. If
you want to use mics with it, you will also need to use a mixing console
(route inserts or direct outs to the interface) or additional mic preamps.

> And where can I get one.

What you may want is a 8-input extender with a lightpipe output, if you want
to use the MOTU 8-input device that was recommended. One such unit is the
Behringer ADA8000.
February 21, 2005 11:41:31 AM

Arny Krueger wrote:
snip
> AFAIK Motu does have a 24 -input box but the inputs are all line-level. If
> you want to use mics with it, you will also need to use a mixing console
> (route inserts or direct outs to the interface) or additional mic preamps.

MOTU has the 24i/o for 24 analog i/o. It is a PCI base device however,
and the OP was looking for a Firewire solution. Otherwise, yeah, the
24i/o is a great solution for PCI based interfaces.

--
Eric

www.Raw-Tracks.com
www.Mad-Host.com
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 12:26:03 PM

> I was thinking about the firepod from prosonus which comes with cubase
> le, but for every 10 people I talk to I get 10 different answers.

That's because there are actually about 30 different answers that make about
equal sense, given what we know so far. You need to ask 20 more people to
get the whole picture! ;-)
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 12:37:06 PM

In article <1108955793.156112.99080@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com> jonlillie@gmail.com writes:

> I need to be able to record 12-16 tracks max
>
> I am not really knowledgable with any of the software out there.

Many programs have demo versions. Get some. Play with them. Most will
give you an idea of how they work even if you have only a generic
sound card in your computer. Choose your weapon first, then find a
platform that runs it well.

February 21, 2005 12:37:08 PM

In article <1108957659.909363.212790@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com> jonlillie@gmail.com writes:

> Anyway that is 12-16 TOTAL inputs needed.

Still not a complete answer.

Do you want to set up your whole band and record all the players in a
single pass, which may require 12-16 microphones or line inputs?

Are you a one-man band with a bunch of keyboards, a guitar, a bass, a
drum set, and a few microphones, recording only one part in a pass?

Do you have no plans but just want to be prepared for anything that
might come up?

Inputs are places to connect things. They can be jacks on a mixer,
jacks on a computer audio interface, or jacks on a patchbay. Some
people buy mixers not to mix, but because they want enough jacks to
plug everything in to so they don't have to move cables. Some people
think that because they envision a 16 track project, they need
something with 16 inputs, when in reality they only need one or two
inputs because there's only one musician playing at a time.

You may understand this, but it's not coming across. If you did
understand it, you'd probalby have a clearer idea of what you need and
your choice should be determined by your budget and what's most
convenient to buy.

February 21, 2005 11:19:36 PM

I only need stereo main outputs and then a set of control room or
monitor outputs. anything else would just be icing on the cake.

p.s. earlier I said I was interested in the firpod by presonus. Is the
motu 828 better out of the box or is it just more widely used.

Also if anyone has used the firepod and wants to e-mail me directly on
their impression it would be great.
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 2:34:45 AM

In article <1109045976.156143.127390@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
"jonlillie@gmail.com" <jonlillie@gmail.com> wrote:

> I only need stereo main outputs and then a set of control room or
> monitor outputs. anything else would just be icing on the cake.
>
> p.s. earlier I said I was interested in the firpod by presonus. Is the
> motu 828 better out of the box or is it just more widely used.
>
> Also if anyone has used the firepod and wants to e-mail me directly on
> their impression it would be great.

You could also check out the new Traveler by MOTU instead of the
828mkII. I finally got my hands on one and they're about $900US. 4 mic
preamps, up to 192khz recording, and a really flexible routing matrix.
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 6:21:42 AM

the mackie onyx
mr rivers is doing a review of them and has indicate that multi
tracking is possible. but they are stereo only for computer out
interface. you are used to mackies and it will introduce only a few
small new technology needs into your endeavor.

dale
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 5:39:00 PM

we don't have a ground loop issue. One of the guys that use to do
sound for us would bring in his yamaha board and use it instead of our
mackie. The issues that we were having would then disappear. so by
process of elimination the problem lies with our board, but the cost of
a new one or the cost of repair is not high on the budget meetings
agenda.
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 1:56:27 PM

<jonlillie@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1109111940.007431.178260@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> we don't have a ground loop issue. One of the guys that use to do
> sound for us would bring in his yamaha board and use it instead of our
> mackie. The issues that we were having would then disappear. so by
> process of elimination the problem lies with our board, but the cost of
> a new one or the cost of repair is not high on the budget meetings
> agenda.

You either have a ground issue, a service issue on the Mackie or
a self created interfacing issue. I would entertain hearing what your
"issues" are and with what model and age of Mackie though...
!