Major Problems After W7 Clean Install...HELP!!

Hey guys, I have an Alienware M14x R1 with a SSD - Crucial M4 in the main spot and the stock HD in the optical drive. I have never had any issues with any of this stuff before this clean install - and I have done clean installs previously. I also used Parted Magic to Secure Erase my SSD and HD before install

I am experiencing some pretty frustrating problems:

1. I have NO INTERNET CONNECTION (everyone keeps telling me to install drivers...how can I do this without internet connection??)

2. Windows is not recognizing my second hard drive in the optical drive even though it did when I was installing and showed it at the section where you can add new partitions etc

3. My display adpater is not working as I have a 1600x900 screen and I can only go up to 1024x768...

It looks like I may have to pay someone to fix these issues - and once again Windows has failed me -.-
8 answers Last reply
More about major problems clean install help
  1. Hi :)

You NEED to install your motherboard drivers, either from the cd or download on ANOTHER machine from the motherboard manufacturers web site...

All the best Brett :)
  2. Brett is right.

Since your optical drive is taken up by your spare HDD and you have no internet connection, your best option is to get a thumb drive and download all the need drivers onto that from another machine.

Your spare HDD not showing up **might** be a separate issue but until you install all necessary drivers, we won't know for sure.

Good Luck.
  3. Alright I will give that a shot I will just download all the drivers onto my usb drive and give that a shot
  4. I can't seem to figure out which driver it is for wireless on dells website for my M14x,,,I notice at start up there is a black screen that shows some info about Atheros Ethernet almost like it is trying to install something, but never does anything and continues on with bootup...I am stumped so I erased my SSD again in Parted Magic and I am attempting to install Windows again, hopefully it will install some drivers automatically this time.
  5. I am going to put the optical drive back in as I think that will solve a lot of problems and then I will put the HD back in the optical drive after
  6. Alright so replacing the HD with the optical drive proved to be pointless as the optical drive kept ejecting the Windows Disk right as I put it in, I ended up just using my portable optical drive again. However, I finally have everything working. All I had to do was simply put all the drivers on a USB Drive from another computer and then put them on my computer -.-

So after much frustration I got everything good and ready to go (for the most part, still have to put HD in...). Well I guess it was a good learning experience haha
  7. you should use norton ghost or a drive clone software when you have the drive image the way you want it.you can put the image on your data hard drive or burn it to a cd.
  8. number 1 rule before doing a clean install

always download the relevant ethernet and/or wireless driver and save it to cd/flash/external

almost anything else can be sorted if you have internet access once windows is loaded
Ask a new question

Read More

Clean Install Optical Media Internet Connection Windows 7