Sign in with
Your question

Major Problems After W7 Clean Install...HELP!!

Last response: in Windows 7
June 16, 2012 6:00:19 PM

Hey guys, I have an Alienware M14x R1 with a SSD - Crucial M4 in the main spot and the stock HD in the optical drive. I have never had any issues with any of this stuff before this clean install - and I have done clean installs previously. I also used Parted Magic to Secure Erase my SSD and HD before install

I am experiencing some pretty frustrating problems:

1. I have NO INTERNET CONNECTION (everyone keeps telling me to install drivers...how can I do this without internet connection??)

2. Windows is not recognizing my second hard drive in the optical drive even though it did when I was installing and showed it at the section where you can add new partitions etc

3. My display adpater is not working as I have a 1600x900 screen and I can only go up to 1024x768...

It looks like I may have to pay someone to fix these issues - and once again Windows has failed me -.-
a b $ Windows 7
June 16, 2012 6:05:05 PM

Hi :) 

You NEED to install your motherboard drivers, either from the cd or download on ANOTHER machine from the motherboard manufacturers web site...

All the best Brett :) 
June 16, 2012 6:11:17 PM

Brett is right.

Since your optical drive is taken up by your spare HDD and you have no internet connection, your best option is to get a thumb drive and download all the need drivers onto that from another machine.

Your spare HDD not showing up **might** be a separate issue but until you install all necessary drivers, we won't know for sure.

Good Luck.
Related resources
June 16, 2012 6:17:56 PM

Alright I will give that a shot I will just download all the drivers onto my usb drive and give that a shot
June 17, 2012 1:28:02 AM

I can't seem to figure out which driver it is for wireless on dells website for my M14x,,,I notice at start up there is a black screen that shows some info about Atheros Ethernet almost like it is trying to install something, but never does anything and continues on with bootup...I am stumped so I erased my SSD again in Parted Magic and I am attempting to install Windows again, hopefully it will install some drivers automatically this time.
June 17, 2012 1:34:07 AM

I am going to put the optical drive back in as I think that will solve a lot of problems and then I will put the HD back in the optical drive after
June 17, 2012 6:17:07 AM

Alright so replacing the HD with the optical drive proved to be pointless as the optical drive kept ejecting the Windows Disk right as I put it in, I ended up just using my portable optical drive again. However, I finally have everything working. All I had to do was simply put all the drivers on a USB Drive from another computer and then put them on my computer -.-

So after much frustration I got everything good and ready to go (for the most part, still have to put HD in...). Well I guess it was a good learning experience haha
a b $ Windows 7
June 17, 2012 7:41:05 AM

you should use norton ghost or a drive clone software when you have the drive image the way you want it.you can put the image on your data hard drive or burn it to a cd.
a b $ Windows 7
June 17, 2012 8:07:56 AM

number 1 rule before doing a clean install

always download the relevant ethernet and/or wireless driver and save it to cd/flash/external

almost anything else can be sorted if you have internet access once windows is loaded
!