Football games where you're the coach?

Hi,

Can you play Madden 2005 as the head coach only? That is, where you
call plays, make substitutions and so forth, but you don't have to
control a player?

Are there any games like this?

TIA

Samurai99

>Hi,
>
>Can you play Madden 2005 as the head coach only? That is, where you
>call plays, make substitutions and so forth, but you don't have to
>control a player?
>
>Are there any games like this?
>
>TIA
>
>Samurai99

Strat-O-Matic football is a game like this and it's great. You
control only the coaching such as player substitutions and
play calls, there is no arcade element or hand-eye co-ordination
in the game and the graphics are not at all paramount (x's and
o's on the screen).
The game is very realistic from a strategic and statistical
standpoint and is based on NFL player performances including
RB's, QB's, receivers, offensive linemen, all defensive players,
and special teams.

You can play against a competitive computer coach, play a
full NFL season letting it autoplay whatever games you don't
want to play, and best of all you can play online live against
an opponent on the internet. Online play is my favorite as
there is plenty of cat-and-mouse strategy -- "Last 3rd and
10 he left his lookin pass zone open, should I throw a lookin
pass this time?"; "he keeps trying to defend the run, should
I keep pounding Tomlinson or open up the offense?"; etc.

The Strat-O-Matic board game has been around I believe since
the 1960's and the computer game began in 2000 and is in
version 4 (which includes the 2003 season teams).
There is a very active community with a message board at
www.stratfanforum.com.
Strat's official web site (from which you can order) is
www.strat-o-matic.com but the message board may be a
better place to get information (and ask questions).

If you have any questions feel free to ask at the forum or ask
here.

Yes Madden lets you do this and it's only $9.99 @ Compusa until Saturday.

Samurai99 <Samu@thisisafakeaddressbecauseihatespam.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Can you play Madden 2005 as the head coach only? That is, where you
> call plays, make substitutions and so forth, but you don't have to
> control a player?
>
> Are there any games like this?
>
> TIA
>
> Samurai99

That's Madden 2004 for that price, correct?

You won't find many online that will want to play in coach mode.
Madden isn't realistic anyway. Madden rates the players and teams by
guessing what they will play like this year, unlike the board games
that I used to play (Strat-O-Matic and APBA)which based the ratings on
the past season.

> Yes Madden lets you do this and it's only $9.99 @ Compusa until
Saturday.

> > Can you play Madden 2005 as the head coach only?

No that was for 2005, the sale is over now but you can get it at BestBuy for
$14.99.