data rate on data card?

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
August 26, 2004 7:25:46 PM

What kind of typical data rate are you guys seeing with the data card and
the $80/month unlimited plan? Does this cover any phone usage or is it a la
carte?

More about : data rate data card

Anonymous
August 26, 2004 8:11:07 PM

"s" <s@s.com> wrote in message
> What kind of typical data rate are you guys seeing with the data card and
> the $80/month unlimited plan?

I don't use the card, but Vision averages 50 to 70Kb, with a max burst of
144Kb. It should go faster, once SPCS initializes the EV-DO system, but it's
not in effect yet.

> Does this cover any phone usage or is it a la carte?

That's strictly a data plan.

Bob
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 3:50:38 AM

"Additional $0.20/minute charge for calls made on PCS Connection Cards
with voice capability."

s wrote:

> What kind of typical data rate are you guys seeing with the data card and
> the $80/month unlimited plan? Does this cover any phone usage or is it a la
> carte?

Related resources
August 27, 2004 6:48:49 PM

75kbs - 90kbs

Images are compressed into low res jpg's... it is really a disappointment
overall.

"s" <s@s.com> wrote in message
> What kind of typical data rate are you guys seeing with the data card and
> the $80/month unlimited plan? Does this cover any phone usage or is it a
> la
> carte?

August 28, 2004 3:22:51 PM

"Viper" <REMOVEdlenos@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> 75kbs - 90kbs
>
> Images are compressed into low res jpg's... it is really a disappointment
> overall.

But, Cntl-F5 will refresh the web page with uncompressed pictures whenever
you want.

Evad
August 28, 2004 6:25:17 PM

Hrmm...

Does Tmobile jack with images with their aircard setup?

"Viper" <REMOVEdlenos@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> 75kbs - 90kbs
>
> Images are compressed into low res jpg's... it is really a disappointment
> overall.
>
> "s" <s@s.com> wrote in message
> > What kind of typical data rate are you guys seeing with the data card
and
> > the $80/month unlimited plan? Does this cover any phone usage or is it a
> > la
> > carte?

Anonymous
August 28, 2004 9:21:00 PM

>Does Tmobile jack with images with their aircard setup?

Of course not..... What makes you ask something like that?

--
John S.
August 28, 2004 9:28:40 PM

Look at the context of the post i replied to...
or do i detect an air of sarcasm lol ? ;o)
guy said sprint compressed images. i wondered if tmobile did same...

got a client looking for a mobile internet solution for a motorcoach trip.

building an onboard wireless hotspot for a 2 year road trip and looking for
the fastest connection

not lookin' real good so far

"John S." <sexyexotiche@aol.comspamfree> wrote in message
> >Does Tmobile jack with images with their aircard setup?
> >

> Of course not..... What makes you ask something like that?
>
> --
> John S.
> e-mail responses to - john at kiana dot net
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 11:15:08 PM

I guess you could use an "internet phone" service which would be free...

s wrote:

> What kind of typical data rate are you guys seeing with the data card and
> the $80/month unlimited plan? Does this cover any phone usage or is it a la
> carte?

Anonymous
August 29, 2004 4:24:35 PM

"s" <s@s.com> wrote in message
> What kind of typical data rate are you guys seeing with the data card and
> the $80/month unlimited plan? Does this cover any phone usage or is it a
> la
> carte?

10-12kb/sec.
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 12:49:07 PM

"s" <s@s.com> wrote in message
> What kind of typical data rate are you guys seeing with the data card and
> the $80/month unlimited plan? Does this cover any phone usage or is it a
la
> carte?

Speeds tend to be variable. In most major metropolitan areas that I have
been in over the last 2 months, LAX, Boston, Miami, Orlando, speeds as
measured by FTP file transfer were 10-12 kbtytes/sec, or call it 96 kbs,

In rural areas the speeds can be every bit as high or they can drop to
normal slow dial up speeds, 2-3 kbytes sec, call it 24 kbs.

Coverage has generally been excellent, any place I went that I had sprint
phone service working, the data service was working.

Be aware this is not quite a substitute for regular service, Sprint reduces
the quality of all images. For me this is a mobile business tool for
communicating and sending work back and forth from jobsites or the hotel or
the car, not a normal at home browse for fun tool.

There is no phone service associated with the data card, I have seen
warnings that if you use the card for phone service they will charge you
something per minute. I have looked hard but just can't find the earpeice,
the speaker or the keypad on the card anywhere :)  Seriously, I guess there
is a way you might with some software on the laptop, but that strikes me as
very cumbersome.
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 2:24:57 PM

In article <et_Yc.801$lV5.460@fe25.usenetserver.com>, nospam@yahoo.com
says...
> There is no phone service associated with the data card, I have seen
> warnings that if you use the card for phone service they will charge you
> something per minute. I have looked hard but just can't find the earpeice,
> the speaker or the keypad on the card anywhere :)  Seriously, I guess there
> is a way you might with some software on the laptop, but that strikes me as
> very cumbersome.

It depends on the card, actually. The Sierra Aircard 550 is voice-
capable. So, too, is the Yiso CompactFlash card(I think. It's been a
while since I looked).

For cards that *can* do it, voice service is $0.20/min. Inbound *or*
outbound.

http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/servicePlansOptionsV2...

"Additional $0.20/minute charge for calls made on PCS Connection Cards
(TM) with voice capability."

If you look up the cards, the ones that can do this say so. THe ones
that can't don't even bring it up.

--
RØß
O/Siris

Thomas Paine, "The Rights of Man", 1792
Anonymous
September 5, 2004 8:38:39 AM

Sprint's connection is currently faster than T-Mobile's. T-Mobile's control
center lets you turn image compression on or off.

Stu

"s" <s@s.com> wrote in message
> Look at the context of the post i replied to...
> or do i detect an air of sarcasm lol ? ;o)
> guy said sprint compressed images. i wondered if tmobile did same...
>
> got a client looking for a mobile internet solution for a motorcoach trip.
>
> building an onboard wireless hotspot for a 2 year road trip and looking
for
> the fastest connection
>
> not lookin' real good so far
>
> "John S." <sexyexotiche@aol.comspamfree> wrote in message
> > >Does Tmobile jack with images with their aircard setup?
> > >

> > Of course not..... What makes you ask something like that?
> >
> > --
> > John S.
> > e-mail responses to - john at kiana dot net

Anonymous
September 6, 2004 4:50:51 AM

"s" <s@s.com> wrote in message
> What kind of typical data rate are you guys seeing with the data card and
> the $80/month unlimited plan? Does this cover any phone usage or is it a
la
> carte?

Go with Verizon's PC-5220 Card....runs both 1XRTT 5-60K/Burst to 144 AND
1XEVDO 300-500K/Burts to 2Gigs. Flat rate of $79.95...EVDO is popping up in
many places.
Sprint's data service is like shitting thru a sock.....certainly NOT worth
the effort.
Anonymous
September 6, 2004 2:16:45 PM

>> What kind of typical data rate are you guys seeing with the data card and
>> the $80/month unlimited plan? Does this cover any phone usage or is it a
> la
>> carte?
>>

> Go with Verizon's PC-5220 Card....runs both 1XRTT 5-60K/Burst to 144 AND
> 1XEVDO 300-500K/Burts to 2Gigs. Flat rate of $79.95...EVDO is popping up
> in
> many places.
> Sprint's data service is like shitting thru a sock.....certainly NOT worth
> the effort.

Currently, the Verizon data rate isn't that great in the real world. The
1XRTT feels like a slow modem (40 kb or so) in the various places in
California where I have tried it - even in urban Bay Area locales where the
monitor reports "excellent" connection. It is definitely slower than a
tethered Sprint phone, though I have not used Sprint's data rate or cards.

I was just in Vegas, where EVDO is available for Verizon. The data rate is
fast (of course), but slower than my home DSL. Again I didn't run any
numbers - just my impression from hours online.

I think cellular data schemes are works in progress, and will probably
rapidly improve. However, anyone used to "real" broadband will be
disappointed in heavy Web usage (email should be fine with any platform).

Bill
!