Freezing PC Windows 7

terrencej31

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2012
Hello to all,

I am sorry if I have not post this in the right section or if I did not give enough detail. I have search the web and this site but I could not solve the issue. My PC is freezing in Windows 7 x64. Using the mouse or typing control/alt/delete does not work. I use it for Recording music. My software is Avid Pro Tools 8 and Propellerhead Reason 5. I thought one of those was the problem until it froze while I was online and also when I was using Microsoft Word. Almost at anytime it will freeze causing me to press the power button (Hard Reboot). I did a Memory Test, Virus Scan and SCF Scan. No help to this problem. I saw on another website that it might be the NVIDIA GeForce GT 520 graphics card. I do not have any Minidumps because I do not get any BSOD errors.

Windows 7 x64
Sevice Pack 1
AMD Phenom(tm) II x4 840 Processor 3.20 Ghz
Installed Ram 6.00 GB
NVIDIA GeForce GT 520 graphics card

Thanks in Advance!

The leading cause of computer freezes in Windows 7 is problem memory. Run memtest86 for at least three passes to check for memory problems. Even if the memory passes the memory tests the memory could still be the cause of the problem. Test the hard drive with the manufacturer of the hard drive diagnostic program from their web site. Try the computer in safe mode do you still get the problem in safe mode? if not it may be a software problem.

terrencej31

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2012
Okay, I was on my phone because my pc did it again. You told me to run a hard drive test in DOS.... HIRENS CD etc. I am so sorry but I don't have a clue what to do. I went to google it and it pulls up Hirens website.

terrencej31

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2012
I am sorry I have not been online this week. The issue is not resolved as of yet. We buried my Aunt Saturday and I just did not feel up to it. I will be back on Monday. Thanks to all for your help and understanding.