Soundcraft 760 2" deck ... what's the scoop?

Last response: in Home Audio
February 21, 2005 4:36:43 PM

I worked at a mid-level 24-track facility for awhile in the late 80's.
One of the more "oddball" pieces of gear we had was a Soundcraft 760
2" deck. I only worked at the place for about 2 years and have never
seen one of these decks since. What's the story behind these units? I
don't recall that it was outstanding but it "did the job" with Ampex
456 and we never had any trouble with it over the two years that I
used it. Anyone out there still use one?
February 21, 2005 4:58:03 PM

Hey there--

Ran one myself for several years in the mid-Nineties. By the end of
that time the machine in question had about a million miles on it and
was giving us considerable trouble with tape tension--quite honestly it
gave me so many nightmares on the last project I used it on (The Roots'
Things Fall Apart) that is still shudder at the thought of ever using
one again.

Up until then, it had been a reasonably reliable machine, if not
sonically up to Studer/Otari/Ampex spec.

Yours,

Gordon Rice
Chief Engineer
Sigma Sound
Philadelphia PA

Where are we going and what am I doing in this handbasket?
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 8:05:29 PM

Kelly Dueck <kellyd@escape.ca> wrote:
>I worked at a mid-level 24-track facility for awhile in the late 80's.
>One of the more "oddball" pieces of gear we had was a Soundcraft 760
>2" deck. I only worked at the place for about 2 years and have never
>seen one of these decks since. What's the story behind these units? I
>don't recall that it was outstanding but it "did the job" with Ampex
>456 and we never had any trouble with it over the two years that I
>used it. Anyone out there still use one?

There are a lot of them in Britain and a few around Europe, but they
never made much inroads into the US market. They weren't bad machines
at all, but they were expensive to ship across the pond.
--scott
February 22, 2005 4:38:32 AM

> Kelly Dueck <kellyd@escape.ca> wrote:
> >I worked at a mid-level 24-track facility for awhile in the late 80's.
> >One of the more "oddball" pieces of gear we had was a Soundcraft 760
> >2" deck. I only worked at the place for about 2 years and have never
> >seen one of these decks since. What's the story behind these units? I
> >don't recall that it was outstanding but it "did the job" with Ampex
> >456 and we never had any trouble with it over the two years that I
> >used it. Anyone out there still use one?
>
> There are a lot of them in Britain and a few around Europe, but they
> never made much inroads into the US market. They weren't bad machines
> at all, but they were expensive to ship across the pond.
> --scott

Back at the time, second half of the eighties in ex-Yugoslavia, all three
major studios in Croatia had one. I believe there were several other
Soundcraft machines elsewhere in the country. Adats killed them all
eventually.

Haven't heard any horror stories, so I guess they worked well. Those were
very busy studios.

Two years ago, while I still had my MTR90II, I salvaged around 50 old 2"
tapes recorded on one of those machines. Took them from somebody's attic,
the studio being long-defunct now. Irrelevant material, but the tapes,
although dusty and well worn out, sounded quite decent.

Predrag
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 6:16:08 AM

Kelly Dueck wrote:
> I worked at a mid-level 24-track facility for awhile in the late 80's.
> One of the more "oddball" pieces of gear we had was a Soundcraft 760
> 2" deck. I only worked at the place for about 2 years and have never
> seen one of these decks since. What's the story behind these units? I
> don't recall that it was outstanding but it "did the job" with Ampex
> 456 and we never had any trouble with it over the two years that I
> used it. Anyone out there still use one?

We had one here a few years ago. I really liked the way
it sounded but the transport was unreliable and it
damaged a few masters. There have been a few threads on
these machines on this newsgroup over the years. If you
do a search you'll find a lot of discussion. There were
a few people who also disliked the transport and some
who said theirs ran without any problems for years.

John Noll
Retromedia Sound Studios
Red Bank, NJ

jn145_deletethisfirst_@verizon.net

http://www.retromedia.net
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 3:06:38 PM

The general concensus among tape techs here in the UK seems to be avoid them
like the plague - finding one willing to work on one might be a bit of a
problem.

Gareth,

"Kelly Dueck" <kellyd@escape.ca> wrote in message
>I worked at a mid-level 24-track facility for awhile in the late 80's.
> One of the more "oddball" pieces of gear we had was a Soundcraft 760
> 2" deck. I only worked at the place for about 2 years and have never
> seen one of these decks since. What's the story behind these units? I
> don't recall that it was outstanding but it "did the job" with Ampex
> 456 and we never had any trouble with it over the two years that I
> used it. Anyone out there still use one?
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 3:21:06 PM

I had a mark III for several years, the deck was very reliable. I know there
were lots of problems with the earlier decks but the MkIII was pretty good.
When I bought a new deck, I had the soundcraft stored for about 4 months.
When I sold the deck I turned the deck on put up a tone reel, the tones were
dead on and the deck worked flawlessly. Probably the guys that bought it are
still using it.
--Lou Gimenez
The Music Lab
2" 24track w all the Goodies
www.musiclabnyc.com

> From: "Gareth Magennis" <sound.service@btconnect.com>
> Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
> Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 12:06:38 +0000 (UTC)
> Subject: Re: Soundcraft 760 2" deck ... what's the scoop?
>
> The general concensus among tape techs here in the UK seems to be avoid them
> like the plague - finding one willing to work on one might be a bit of a
> problem.
>

> Gareth,
>

> "Kelly Dueck" <kellyd@escape.ca> wrote in message
>> I worked at a mid-level 24-track facility for awhile in the late 80's.
>> One of the more "oddball" pieces of gear we had was a Soundcraft 760
>> 2" deck. I only worked at the place for about 2 years and have never
>> seen one of these decks since. What's the story behind these units? I
>> don't recall that it was outstanding but it "did the job" with Ampex
>> 456 and we never had any trouble with it over the two years that I
>> used it. Anyone out there still use one?

Anonymous
February 22, 2005 3:44:05 PM

In article <cvf78e$1ao$1@sparta.btinternet.com> sound.service@btconnect.com writes:

> The general concensus among tape techs here in the UK seems to be avoid them
> like the plague - finding one willing to work on one might be a bit of a
> problem.

My dealer loaned me one to use while I was trying out consoles a dozen
or so years ago. It worked OK and gave me 16 tracks (I only had 8 at
the time) but when I bought a 16-track recorder, I opted for a good
condition used Ampex MM-1100 which cost less than the new Soundcraft
(or a new 1" TASCAM), was better known, less complicated, and easier
to maintain. I don't regret that decision one bit.

The only advantage the Soundcraft had over other 16-track 2" recorders
was that its small size, but the Ampex wasn't but a couple of inches
larger in each dimension and fit nicely in the available space.

February 22, 2005 6:00:21 PM

A friend of mine in Kent, UK has a Soundcraft 3-speed 2" Saturn 24-trk
console with remote contoller, recently fitted a new pressure roller, but
sadly it has an electronic fault.
Don't know how different this model is from 760.
Would you be interested? Or he mightl break it down for spares.
Jim
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 6:00:22 PM

the saturn is a larger more sophisticated deck I dont think much would work
for a 760. BTW Tom Maguire at tmimids1@mindspring.com knows quite a bit
about servicing 760's and has access to parts.
--Lou Gimenez
The Music Lab
2" 24track w all the Goodies
www.musiclabnyc.com

> From: "Jim Gregory" <jim.greg@ntlworld.com>
> Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
> Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 15:00:21 GMT
> Subject: Re: Soundcraft 760 2" deck ... what's the scoop?
>
> A friend of mine in Kent, UK has a Soundcraft 3-speed 2" Saturn 24-trk
> console with remote contoller, recently fitted a new pressure roller, but
> sadly it has an electronic fault.
> Don't know how different this model is from 760.
> Would you be interested? Or he mightl break it down for spares.
> Jim

Anonymous
February 22, 2005 7:14:24 PM

In article <9OHSd.270$aY2.1@newsfe1-win.ntli.net> jim.greg@ntlworld.com writes:

> A friend of mine in Kent, UK has a Soundcraft 3-speed 2" Saturn 24-trk
> console with remote contoller, recently fitted a new pressure roller, but
> sadly it has an electronic fault.
> Don't know how different this model is from 760.

Totally different. The Saturn was a really cool tape deck, quite a
work of art, but far too complicated for most mortals to maintain. My
dealer had one for a while but never sold it and eventually returned
it to Soundcraft.

February 22, 2005 11:41:22 PM

Don't worry ... I'm not in the market for one. I was just looking at
some old photos from my days at "Promised Land Productions" and got
curious about the 760. Now that I think about it, I do recall having
some minor transport issues but they seemed to manifest when using the
remote. For example, it would miss auto locator points from time to
time. Never anything mechanical, though.

"Gareth Magennis" <sound.service@btconnect.com> wrote in message news:<cvf78e$1ao$1@sparta.btinternet.com>...
> The general concensus among tape techs here in the UK seems to be avoid them
> like the plague - finding one willing to work on one might be a bit of a
> problem.
>

> Gareth,
>

> "Kelly Dueck" <kellyd@escape.ca> wrote in message
> >I worked at a mid-level 24-track facility for awhile in the late 80's.
> > One of the more "oddball" pieces of gear we had was a Soundcraft 760
> > 2" deck. I only worked at the place for about 2 years and have never
> > seen one of these decks since. What's the story behind these units? I
> > don't recall that it was outstanding but it "did the job" with Ampex
> > 456 and we never had any trouble with it over the two years that I
> > used it. Anyone out there still use one?
June 8, 2011 12:23:47 PM

Quote:

I worked at a mid-level 24-track facility for awhile in the late 80's.
One of the more "oddball" pieces of gear we had was a Soundcraft 760
2" deck. I only worked at the place for about 2 years and have never
seen one of these decks since. What's the story behind these units? I
don't recall that it was outstanding but it "did the job" with Ampex
456 and we never had any trouble with it over the two years that I
used it. Anyone out there still use one?

So did I but I was there for 3 years !!
June 8, 2011 12:25:19 PM

Quote:

I worked at a mid-level 24-track facility for awhile in the late 80's.
One of the more "oddball" pieces of gear we had was a Soundcraft 760
2" deck. I only worked at the place for about 2 years and have never
seen one of these decks since. What's the story behind these units? I
don't recall that it was outstanding but it "did the job" with Ampex
456 and we never had any trouble with it over the two years that I
used it. Anyone out there still use one?

So did I
Wonder who u r?

I was there for 3 years