No more xxx-MAIL landline access to Voicemail?

I've had Sprint now for years. One of the things I always enjoyed was
the ability to call xxx-xxx-MAIL, where xxx-xxx is your area code and
first 3 digits (For example, I call 512-573-MAIL) to retreive mail
voicemail from a landline without burning wireless minutes.

Now all of the sudden it doesn't work. Just get "the number or code
you dialed is incorrect" Can anyone else confirm that this has been
discontinued in your area as well? I'm in the Austin, TX market.

Thanks,

Jimmy Kyle

That has never been the way customers were supposed to access their
voice mail from a land line. The proper method is to call your Sprint
PCS phone number.

On 26 Aug 2004 13:58:20 -0700, test_132@hotmail.com (Jimmy Kyle)
wrote:

> Can anyone else confirm that this has been
>discontinued in your area as well? I'm in the Austin, TX market.

Works in NYC for me.

DGI

Just tried in My market ....937 area code....
Tried my own phone, tried a couple other prefixes, they all work!!
Just like they have for years,,,

"Jimmy Kyle" <test_132@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've had Sprint now for years. One of the things I always enjoyed was
> the ability to call xxx-xxx-MAIL, where xxx-xxx is your area code and
> first 3 digits (For example, I call 512-573-MAIL) to retreive mail
> voicemail from a landline without burning wireless minutes.
>
> Now all of the sudden it doesn't work. Just get "the number or code
> you dialed is incorrect" Can anyone else confirm that this has been
> discontinued in your area as well? I'm in the Austin, TX market.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jimmy Kyle

Scott

Just tried in in southern california and works just fine.

Scott wrote:
> Just tried in in southern california and works just fine.

BFD. I can't use it, the call would go to a Verizon phone because I ported my
number from Verizon last week. :)

test_132@hotmail.com (Jimmy Kyle) wrote in message news:<f474087a.0408261258.78b8b2a6@posting.google.com>...
> I've had Sprint now for years. One of the things I always enjoyed was
> the ability to call xxx-xxx-MAIL, where xxx-xxx is your area code and
> first 3 digits (For example, I call 512-573-MAIL) to retreive mail
> voicemail from a landline without burning wireless minutes.
>
> Now all of the sudden it doesn't work. Just get "the number or code
> you dialed is incorrect" Can anyone else confirm that this has been
> discontinued in your area as well? I'm in the Austin, TX market.

Works for me, with AC (203) New Haven, CT exchanges 589, 675, and 901.
Try some other local Sprint exchanges in Austin (there's bound to be a
bunch) and see if they work for you.

"Jimmy Kyle" <test_132@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've had Sprint now for years. One of the things I always enjoyed was
> the ability to call xxx-xxx-MAIL, where xxx-xxx is your area code and
> first 3 digits (For example, I call 512-573-MAIL) to retreive mail
> voicemail from a landline without burning wireless minutes.
>
> Now all of the sudden it doesn't work. Just get "the number or code
> you dialed is incorrect" Can anyone else confirm that this has been
> discontinued in your area as well? I'm in the Austin, TX market.

Still works here in Central NJ. 732-213-MAIL, 732-619-MAIL, 732-309-MAIL
and 732-801-MAIL all still work. These exchanges are divided among two
switches located in Teterboro, NJ and Branchburg Township, NJ. The Delaware
valley switch (856-264-MAIL) also still works, just checked it.

I know that parts of Texas are affiliate markets, and that affiliate
might've decided that they'd rather assign -6245 to a subscriber and
maxzimize the amount of available numbers they have. But I also beleive
that there are some PCS-corporate markets in Texas, too.

If you really want to, you could dial down the list of Sprint PCS switches
in Texas and see if there's one that's local to you and still has a working
MAIL number:

http://tinyurl.com/4pkat

Just beware that you miught end up reaching live people along the way.