random freezes - not irq9 problem please help!!!

ledzepp98

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
ok, first off i'll say what i have...

t-bird 900
ep-8kta+ mobo
wd 4 gig hd
quantum 30 gig hd
plextor 12/10/32
pioneer 16x dvd
3x128meg micron
sb live mp3+
leadtek gf2 gts
cheap lan card
cool temperatures

ok, when i first installed win2k i was having consistent, random freezed. i read the irq9 thread and did what it said about changing acpi to normal pc (or something like that). that did help but it didn't solve the problem completely. i have service pack 1 installed, the agp registry patches (i think i found 3 different ones), proper win2k drivers for the sb live card (from creative) and for the video card (version 6.27 from leadtek). the only shared irq is 11 (usb controller and lan card). i can't think of any driver problems or major irq problems. are there any other patches that i need? i haven't been playing many games lately due to work but they don't seem to cause problems (only q3 and unreal tournament for maybe an hour at most with no problems so far). basically, it could freeze 3 times in an hour then run 24 hours a day for 2-3 days without a freeze. they are totally random and don't seem to be linked to any particular program. please help because i don't want to go back to win9x. do you think a fresh install as a normal pc (no acpi) would help? thanks for reading and a greater thanks for any advise.....

Ganache

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hi, i had the same king of freezup with win2k and my athlon.

Go to amd zone, microsoft released a fix (registry patch) to help that freze thing. if u dont find it, i can email it to you.

ledzepp98

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I TRIED THE PATCH FROM MICROSOFT AND I TRIED THE PATCH FROM AMD. I'M AT THE POINT WHERE I MIGHT TRY TO REINSTALL WIN2K FROM SCRATCH AND START OUT WITHOUT THE ACPI ENABLED. I DON'T WANT TO GO BACK TO WIN9X. BY THE WAY, HOW DO I INSTALL WIN2K WITHOUT ACPI? oops, sorry about the caps...

Homicida

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
RUN INSTALL WHILE ACPI IS OFF IN BIOS SETUP AND U HAVE AN INSTALL WITOUT IT
hehe thats fun *gg*

btw: why dont u try the amd reg. patch? *lol*

try bios tweak stuff like disabling fast write and such stuff
(a strange option wich decreases speed and stability on my system)
try some other detonator versions
and another version of via agp driver

if all this doesnt help try if it also freezes when u leave caps lock turned on :eek:)

G

I get the exact symptoms that you describe on my system that runs Win98SE.

Abit KT7A
TBird 850 (not OC)
256MB 133Mhz RAM
GeForceDDR
SBLive
Generic Modem
Generic LAN card
8.4 gig Fujitsu

Unfortunately I've not yet found a solution to it :(

G

I tried all that crap. then i flashed my mobo from A7V 1004d to 1007. bam rock solid now. Win2k beens going for 3 weeks straight with no restart.

And to my knowledge there are no newer sblive drivers for 5.1 cards.... yours isnt tho, right?

TRENDING THREADS