Best Microphone for Pro Tools?

Last response: in Home Audio
February 22, 2005 4:42:21 AM

Hi again,

Can anyone suggest the best choices for a microphone for Pro Tools?

Just when I want to start recording I lose my Mic. Hopefully I will find
it, but isn't that the way it is? Anytime you need something you can't find
it!

More about : microphone pro tools

Anonymous
February 22, 2005 4:42:22 AM

song writer wrote:

> Can anyone suggest the best choices for a microphone for Pro Tools?

Sure--but it would help if we had some clue as to what you want to mic and in what kind of space.
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 4:42:22 AM

song writer wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> Can anyone suggest the best choices for a microphone for Pro Tools?
>
> Just when I want to start recording I lose my Mic. Hopefully I will find
> it, but isn't that the way it is? Anytime you need something you can't find
> it!

Is this a joke?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 4:42:22 AM

this is a joke...right? someone tell me this is a joke.....please

well if it's not...i suggest you do some reading about microphones in
general before you run off and buy the "best one".....or any mic for that
matter.....better yet, buy a clue first...... There are countless mics that
are suitable for a countless combinations of countless different situations
and no one mic will ever be "the best" for anything, please believe me on
this one....sound is a very subjective thing and some things might sound
"better" through a $10 radio shack mic than a $4,000 tube mic....believe me,
this is true. Furthermore, plugins and effects not withstanding, the fact
that you're recording into Protools vs. some other program has absolutely
nothing to do with what mic you should choose.

That said, if I HAD to suggest one mic that would be a good "all-around"
choice and would not break the bank, I'd go with an AT4060 for about $700 on
ebay....If you can't afford that second choice would be one (or preferably
two) MK012's for about $100 each on ebay or from guitar center, third would
be an SM57 (under $100 at guitar center and on ebay). Good luck, and may you
find enlightenment!

--

Jonny Durango

"Patrick was a saint. I ain't."

http://www.jdurango.com

"song writer" <iwritesongs@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Hi again,
>
> Can anyone suggest the best choices for a microphone for Pro Tools?
>
> Just when I want to start recording I lose my Mic. Hopefully I will find
> it, but isn't that the way it is? Anytime you need something you can't
find
> it!

Anonymous
February 22, 2005 4:42:22 AM

There is no best that we can give you. Only you can tell that. Where
do you live? I mean, what city? Whatever city that is, look in your
yellow pages, find a pro audio store and walk in there with your
headphones and check out a few mics. Pick the one that make your voice
sound the best. Easy.

You might get lucky and the same mic is best for VO work and singing.
If not, some of the usual suspects for VO work are EV RE20, Shure SM7
and maybe even some ribbon mics like the AEA84 would be fun. Any of
those could be a fine mic for your voice to sing with as well. But,
you might like your voice on one of the thousand or so LDC or large
diaphram condenser mics that are available these days. In the under a
grand and new category, I'd look at a few from Audio
Technica....AT4050, 4033 and 4047. Also look into a Neumann TLM103,
AKG 414, BLUE Blueberry and even some of the cheaper Chinese mics might
do it for you. If you can spend over a grand or would consider
used....the world is your oyster.....too many to choose from.
If you'd like some of us to play guesswork though, tell us who your
voice sounds like, if anyone famous. We might be able to then place
you a little closer to a few choices to narrow it down a bit. For all
we know you could have a voice like James Earl Jones or Tiny Tim or
someone in between. If there were one...the best mic in the world
wouldn't work for both of them.
later,
[...]

February 22, 2005 4:42:23 AM

mwood5nospam@yahoo.com wrote:
> There is no best that we can give you. Only you can tell that. Where
> do you live? I mean, what city? Whatever city that is, look in your
> yellow pages, find a pro audio store and walk in there with your
> headphones and check out a few mics. Pick the one that make your voice
> sound the best. Easy.

Headphones won't be very helpful on your own voice. Take a friend whose
judgment you trust (and you can listen to the mic on his/her voice) or
take a tape recorder and listen to the playback.
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 4:42:23 AM

Jonny Durango wrote:

> Good luck, and may you find enlightenment!

And his missing mic. (..)
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 4:42:23 AM

mwood5nospam@yahoo.com wrote:

> There is no best that we can give you. Only you can tell that. Where
> do you live? I mean, what city?

And this is important. You may want to move after you figure out which
city your voice sounds best in. <g>
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 4:42:24 AM

>> There is no best that we can give you. Only you can tell that. Where
>> do you live? I mean, what city?
>

> And this is important. You may want to move after you figure out which
> city your voice sounds best in. <g>

And if you need help on that, I'd say, oh, St. Louis.
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 5:03:08 AM

On 2/21/05 8:57 PM, in article 37vht1F5fvg7qU4@individual.net, "Kurt
Albershardt" <kurt@nv.net> wrote:

> song writer wrote:
>>
>> Can anyone suggest the best choices for a microphone for Pro Tools?
>
> Sure--but it would help if we had some clue as to what you want to mic and in
> what kind of space.

Okay, that's fair.
I want to sing, and do voice overs. These voice overs and singing will be
put on audio cd roms as well as flash animations for the internet.

I am in loft. There is a lot of open air. I did get some Aural Xpanders to
help with the voice recording.

Thanks
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 6:05:49 AM

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 20:27:01 -0600, Joe Sensor wrote:

> song writer wrote:
>> Hi again,
>>
>> Can anyone suggest the best choices for a microphone for Pro Tools?
>>
>> Just when I want to start recording I lose my Mic. Hopefully I will find
>> it, but isn't that the way it is? Anytime you need something you can't find
>> it!
>>

> Is this a joke?

I thought the best DAW/Mic matches were well known?

Logic: Neumann CMV3
Nuendo: Neumann U87
Ardour: Home made tube mic.
Pro Tools: Blue Mouse
Mackie HDR: RCA model 74
N-track: Pair of Walkman Headphones.
Saw Studio: Direct wire tap from cochlear implant.
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 7:37:23 AM

philicorda wrote:

> I thought the best DAW/Mic matches were well known?
>
> Logic: Neumann CMV3
> Nuendo: Neumann U87
> Ardour: Home made tube mic.
> Pro Tools: Blue Mouse
> Mackie HDR: RCA model 74
> N-track: Pair of Walkman Headphones.
> Saw Studio: Direct wire tap from cochlear implant.

Audacity: Sphincterphone.

--
ha
Anonymous

Kurt Albershardt wrote:

> song writer wrote:

> > Can anyone suggest the best choices for a microphone for Pro Tools?

> Sure--but it would help if we had some clue as to what you want to mic and
> in what kind of space.

I'd get a contact mic and mount it right on the computer's case. That'd
be a fine way to record Pro Tools.

--
ha
Anonymous

Haha...I was going for...you must live in a city that has some sort of
audio store. That did sound funny though...
Thanks for pointing out my rambling style of prose Joe.....haha.
later,
February 22, 2005 11:19:20 AM

song writer <iwritesongs@verizon.net> wrote:
>On 2/21/05 8:57 PM, in article 37vht1F5fvg7qU4@individual.net, "Kurt
>Albershardt" <kurt@nv.net> wrote:
>
>> song writer wrote:
>>>
>>> Can anyone suggest the best choices for a microphone for Pro Tools?
>>
>> Sure--but it would help if we had some clue as to what you want to mic and in
>> what kind of space.
>
>Okay, that's fair.
>I want to sing, and do voice overs. These voice overs and singing will be
>put on audio cd roms as well as flash animations for the internet.

If you have to use one mike for a wide variety of vocals, go with the
RE-20. It's seldom the best mike on any voice, but it's always usable
on any voice.

>I am in loft. There is a lot of open air. I did get some Aural Xpanders to
>help with the voice recording.

Throw away the Aural Exciter and get your room checked out.
--scott
February 22, 2005 12:16:37 PM

<mwood5nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Haha...I was going for...you must live in a city that has some sort of
>audio store. That did sound funny though...

Every city has some kind of audio store. Pick up the phone and ask
for Harris-Allied Broadcast Supply. They will drop-ship microphones
the same day for evaluation; you can send back the ones you don't like.
--scott
February 22, 2005 12:47:04 PM

In article <BE3FF809.2F94B%iwritesongs@verizon.net> iwritesongs@verizon.net writes:

> Can anyone suggest the best choices for a microphone for Pro Tools?

ProTools makes no (usable) sound so it does not require a microphone.
Save your money.

> Just when I want to start recording I lose my Mic.

Tie the cable to your wrist. Then you won't lose it so easily.

February 22, 2005 3:16:44 PM

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 20:42:21 -0500, song writer wrote
(in article <BE3FF809.2F94B%iwritesongs@verizon.net>):

> Hi again,
>
> Can anyone suggest the best choices for a microphone for Pro Tools?
>
> Just when I want to start recording I lose my Mic. Hopefully I will find
> it, but isn't that the way it is? Anytime you need something you can't find
> it!

I don't understand. Do you mean you actually lost the mic or you can't hear
the mic.

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 9:28:59 PM

Scott Dorsey wrote:

> <mwood5nospam@
> >Haha...I was going for...you must live in a city that has some sort of
> >audio store. That did sound funny though...

> Every city has some kind of audio store. Pick up the phone and ask
> for Harris-Allied Broadcast Supply. They will drop-ship microphones
> the same day for evaluation; you can send back the ones you don't like.

If Reno is a city you might be surprised what is not available.

--
ha
Anonymous

I totally disagree I find the U87Ai sounds much better with protools!
"philicorda" <philicorda@localhost.com> wrote in message
news:p an.2005.02.22.03.10.47.648878@localhost.com...
> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 20:27:01 -0600, Joe Sensor wrote:
>
> > song writer wrote:
> >> Hi again,
> >>
> >> Can anyone suggest the best choices for a microphone for Pro Tools?
> >>
> >> Just when I want to start recording I lose my Mic. Hopefully I will
find
> >> it, but isn't that the way it is? Anytime you need something you can't
find
> >> it!
> >>

> > Is this a joke?
>
> I thought the best DAW/Mic matches were well known?
>
> Logic: Neumann CMV3
> Nuendo: Neumann U87
> Ardour: Home made tube mic.
> Pro Tools: Blue Mouse
> Mackie HDR: RCA model 74
> N-track: Pair of Walkman Headphones.
> Saw Studio: Direct wire tap from cochlear implant.
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 5:53:58 AM

Thanks for the feedback.

I did end up finding my microphone. LOL! I will use your suggestions for
research when I decide on getting a better mic.

For those of you who were wondering if I was joking with this post,
unfortunately I was not.

I'm not a professional musician, just a guy who loves music and wants to
play and record the little he knows.

I am not the most talented player of Piano or guitar. But I have music in my
blood. I can't shake it! Even if I will never be great, I sure can have a
good time trying.
Thanks again.
!