EA just killed off videogame sports. Partnershipping with ..

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/sportsbusiness/news/story?id=1969067

Yes, fun fun fun. 15 year partnership with ESPN, to have access to
their announcers and whatnot. Sega's deal with ESPN runs out next
season. It is over folks. EA now owns all professional sports,
leaving no one behind.

Ok, the X-Box group had a post on it, but I am going to say that EA
kills off videogame sports with this move.

- Richard Hutnik
32 answers Last reply
More about killed videogame sports partnershipping
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    Yea....looks like they are cornering the market.

    --
    Jamie

    Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good,
    you'll have to ram them down people's throats
    ....Howard Aiken
    <richardhutnik@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/sportsbusiness/news/story?id=1969067
    >
    > Yes, fun fun fun. 15 year partnership with ESPN, to have access to
    > their announcers and whatnot. Sega's deal with ESPN runs out next
    > season. It is over folks. EA now owns all professional sports,
    > leaving no one behind.
    >
    > Ok, the X-Box group had a post on it, but I am going to say that EA
    > kills off videogame sports with this move.
    >
    > - Richard Hutnik

  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    Matt, actually the thought of Fox Sports was one option possibly open
    to Sega. But, what exactly do they broadcast? The problem with losing
    ESPN, is that there isn't one common theme to unite their games. Maybe
    they can have TNT for basketball though.

    - Richard Hutnik
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    richardhutnik@hotmail.com wrote:

    > It is over folks. EA now owns all professional sports,
    > leaving no one behind.
    > - Richard Hutnik

    The situation isn't as grave as you may imagine it...

    Sega / Microsoft / 989 can make games that don't have the ESPN license
    on them...

    ESPN doesn't own professional sports, they just broadcast and report on
    them. EA hasn't yet signed exclusivity deals with the MLB or the NBA or
    even the NHL, so there's still plenty of sports franchises to go around.
    They just won't have the ESPN logo on them anymore.

    Remember Virtua Tennis? World Series Baseball? A game doesn't need the
    ESPN name on it to be official.
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    "benstylus" <blacklion@juno.com> wrote in message
    > richardhutnik@hotmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> It is over folks. EA now owns all professional sports,
    >> leaving no one behind.
    >> - Richard Hutnik
    >
    > The situation isn't as grave as you may imagine it...
    >
    > Sega / Microsoft / 989 can make games that don't have the ESPN license on
    > them...

    LOL, MS and 989 weren't making games anyway. It has been a 2 horse race for
    quite some time now.

    > ESPN doesn't own professional sports, they just broadcast and report on
    > them. EA hasn't yet signed exclusivity deals with the MLB or the NBA or
    > even the NHL, so there's still plenty of sports franchises to go around.
    > They just won't have the ESPN logo on them anymore.

    What about Fox Sports? CNN? There is nothing wrong with making a quality
    game while changing the interface a little.

    > Remember Virtua Tennis? World Series Baseball? A game doesn't need the
    > ESPN name on it to be official.

  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    I'm sorry... I just don't see what the big deal is?

    Are people worried that EA is going to make lousy games?
    >From my own experience, that hasn't been the case. In fact,
    it seems to make more sense that a company like EA be in the
    driver's seat with their marketing and distribution abilities.

    I mean, they'll be able to deliver a (hopefully) high quality product
    faster and more to-schedule than most other companies out there.
    Am I on the right track or am I just way off on this? Skye? ;o)
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 06:36:27 GMT, benstylus <blacklion@juno.com>
    wrote:

    >richardhutnik@hotmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> It is over folks. EA now owns all professional sports,
    >> leaving no one behind.
    >> - Richard Hutnik
    >
    >The situation isn't as grave as you may imagine it...
    >
    >Sega / Microsoft / 989 can make games that don't have the ESPN license
    >on them...
    >
    >ESPN doesn't own professional sports, they just broadcast and report on
    >them. EA hasn't yet signed exclusivity deals with the MLB or the NBA or
    >even the NHL, so there's still plenty of sports franchises to go around.
    > They just won't have the ESPN logo on them anymore.

    R.I.P. NHL (1917-2004)
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    They don't own soccer - Konami's Soccer game is still the best.
    I feel sorry for you yanks though - no competition could mean that quality
    will dip.

    <richardhutnik@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/sportsbusiness/news/story?id=1969067
    >
    > Yes, fun fun fun. 15 year partnership with ESPN, to have access to
    > their announcers and whatnot. Sega's deal with ESPN runs out next
    > season. It is over folks. EA now owns all professional sports,
    > leaving no one behind.
    >
    > Ok, the X-Box group had a post on it, but I am going to say that EA
    > kills off videogame sports with this move.
    >
    > - Richard Hutnik

  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    wrote:

    >Sega / Microsoft / 989 can make games that don't have the ESPN license
    >on them...

    Microsoft will not make another sports game. They struck a deal with
    EA Sports so that all EA games will appear on LIVE. Furthremore,
    Microsoft also dumped the Links, Top Spin, and Amped series games
    which are now owned by Take Two. TakeTwo may make some team sports
    games, and hopefully they will continue to develop Amped, Links, and
    Top Spin.
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    On 18 Jan 2005 06:22:53 -0800, richardhutnik@hotmail.com wrote:

    >Matt, actually the thought of Fox Sports was one option possibly open
    >to Sega. But, what exactly do they broadcast? The problem with losing
    >ESPN, is that there isn't one common theme to unite their games. Maybe
    >they can have TNT for basketball though.
    >
    >- Richard Hutnik

    They do not need a media company attached to their sports games since
    there is an exclusive deal with the NFL and EA. I think some company
    has an opportunity to make a sports series that has no professional
    affiliation, and the object is for people to scout and recruit
    fictional players in a very deep franchise mode. I personally have
    fun play OOTP6 with fictional players.
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    javajeff. People don't play console sports titles for deep franchise
    mode. They like a franchise mode, but they play mostly with others to
    beat them at football in an action title first and foremost.

    - Richard
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    richardhutnik@hotmail.com wrote:
    > http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/sportsbusiness/news/story?id=1969067
    >
    > Yes, fun fun fun. 15 year partnership with ESPN, to have access to
    > their announcers and whatnot. Sega's deal with ESPN runs out next
    > season. It is over folks. EA now owns all professional sports,
    > leaving no one behind.
    >
    > Ok, the X-Box group had a post on it, but I am going to say that EA
    > kills off videogame sports with this move.
    >
    > - Richard Hutnik

    Naw, but they killed off any hopes, any sane person could have, that
    they were a respectable videogame company. If somebody wants to, they
    can easily make a better sports title, they just won't be able to sit on
    their thumbs and shift millions of units on yearly updates, which isn't
    necessarily a bad thing for gamers.
    If I were an NFL fan, I wouldn't be anymore. If I were an EA fan, I
    wouldn't be anymore. If I were a sports game fan, I would've required
    much more from my game of choice than I've seen offered over the last 15
    years of updates. I'm still hoping this'll mean that Sega's new
    management will be turning to their devs, for ideas on how to make their
    goals, and their devs bounce back with "hey, you know, we used to make a
    ton of great games every year, how about trying that?"

    --
    Scott

    Game Pilgrimage
    http://users4.ev1.net/~sheath
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    Thavash <thavash_g@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > They don't own soccer - Konami's Soccer game is still the best.
    > I feel sorry for you yanks though - no competition could mean that quality
    > will dip.

    Dude, does EA not own the Fifa license? Does EA not sell their soccer game 8
    to 1 over Konami's soccer game in Europe? Which is equvelent to the bitch
    slapping EA gives SayGa every year. Konami MAY make a better soccer game
    (don't know and I don't care about soccer) But EA does OWN soccer too!
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    "Scott H" <sheathx013@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > richardhutnik@hotmail.com wrote:
    >> http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/sportsbusiness/news/story?id=1969067
    >>
    >> Yes, fun fun fun. 15 year partnership with ESPN, to have access to
    >> their announcers and whatnot. Sega's deal with ESPN runs out next
    >> season. It is over folks. EA now owns all professional sports,
    >> leaving no one behind.
    >>
    >> Ok, the X-Box group had a post on it, but I am going to say that EA
    >> kills off videogame sports with this move.
    >>
    >> - Richard Hutnik
    >>

    > Naw, but they killed off any hopes, any sane person could have, that they
    > were a respectable videogame company. If somebody wants to, they can
    > easily make a better sports title, they just won't be able to sit on their
    > thumbs and shift millions of units on yearly updates, which isn't
    > necessarily a bad thing for gamers.
    > If I were an NFL fan, I wouldn't be anymore. If I were an EA fan, I
    > wouldn't be anymore. If I were a sports game fan, I would've required
    > much more from my game of choice than I've seen offered over the last 15
    > years of updates. I'm still hoping this'll mean that Sega's new
    > management will be turning to their devs, for ideas on how to make their
    > goals, and their devs bounce back with "hey, you know, we used to make a
    > ton of great games every year, how about trying that?"

    I think Sega just isn't going to put out a football game, period. How long
    has it been since Sega has put out anything new? Most of the games that get
    the attention are remakes, sequels, updates, etc. Are there any games that
    came under the radar I don't know about?
    I mean, their biggest games (other than sports games) were Jet Set Radio
    Future (sequel), Panzer Dragoon Orta (sequel), Sonic Collections, Toe Jam &
    Earl 3 (sequel) Shenmue 2 (remake.)
    I would be really surprised if Sega even bothered with an NCAA game.
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    >Shenmue 2 (remake.)

    Erm no it wasnt? Its part of a planned series and the first was as genre
    defining as the second. It wasnt a remake at all.

    --
    ----

    Xbox Live GT: Lorfarius
  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    "Lorfarius" <fsddsfds@sdfds.com> wrote in message
    > >Shenmue 2 (remake.)
    >
    > Erm no it wasnt? Its part of a planned series and the first was as genre
    > defining as the second. It wasnt a remake at all.

    My mistake. IIRC, the Xbox release was the North American release of the
    game that had been out over a year in Japan already.
  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    Green Shampoo wrote:
    > Are there any games that
    > came under the radar I don't know about?

    Just think of the letter B.

    Billy Hatcher, Beach Spikers, Blood Will Tell... all excellent games,
    none sequels or remakes, all from Sega.
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    In article <a3iHd.1626$Ju1.1604@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
    benstylus <blacklion@juno.com> wrote:
    >Green Shampoo wrote:
    >> Are there any games that
    >> came under the radar I don't know about?
    >
    >Just think of the letter B.
    >
    >Billy Hatcher, Beach Spikers, Blood Will Tell... all excellent games,
    >none sequels or remakes, all from Sega.

    As long as we're on the subject of Sega games, why wasn't there more buzz
    about Spy Fiction, the Headhunter sequel or Otogi 2? Astro Boy and Samurai
    Jack both got more press (because of the high profile licenses) but both
    yielded disappointing games. If things turn out well over the next few
    weeks, I'm going to get an N-gage and Sega's online strategy game Pocket
    Kingdom. And yeah, Bel will send a hit man after me if I don't pick up
    Outrun 2.

    Good time to be a gamer. Bad time to be Electronic Arts. They're going
    down and we're gonna have a party when their stock gets delisted.

    -KKC, who will be able to die a happy man after being able to put a foot
    against the head of the man who shot Jam Master Jay.
    --
    -- I was treated unfairly and without consideration by eBay - kendrick
    and Paypal. If you require independent testimony about - @io.com

    Kendrick Kerwin Chua wrote:
    > In article <a3iHd.1626$Ju1.1604@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
    > benstylus <blacklion@juno.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Green Shampoo wrote:
    >>
    >>>Are there any games that
    >>>came under the radar I don't know about?
    >>
    >>Just think of the letter B.
    >>
    >>Billy Hatcher, Beach Spikers, Blood Will Tell... all excellent games,
    >>none sequels or remakes, all from Sega.
    >

    > As long as we're on the subject of Sega games, why wasn't there more buzz
    > about Spy Fiction, the Headhunter sequel or Otogi 2?

    Spy Fiction was a Sammy game. Sega's logo isn't anywhere on the box.
    The Headhunter Sequel was quite disappointing for a lot of people (I'm
    enjoying it, but I'm having to work hard to do so). Otogi 2 got about
    as much buzz as the original - i.e. not much at all.

    > Astro Boy and Samurai
    > Jack both got more press (because of the high profile licenses) but both
    > yielded disappointing games. If things turn out well over the next few
    > weeks, I'm going to get an N-gage and Sega's online strategy game Pocket
    > Kingdom.

    Man, I love Pocket Kingdom. Almost worth buying an N-Gage for. But if
    you're getting a phone, you may as well get the N-Gage so you can play
    the game.

    > And yeah, Bel will send a hit man after me if I don't pick up
    > Outrun 2.

    If you're having that much difficulty setting aside the money for Out
    Run 2, I'll be happy to send one to you. Just email me.
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    In article <5CjHd.1695$Ju1.1400@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
    benstylus <blacklion@juno.com> wrote:
    >Kendrick Kerwin Chua wrote:
    <snip>
    > > And yeah, Bel will send a hit man after me if I don't pick up
    >> Outrun 2.
    >
    >If you're having that much difficulty setting aside the money for Out
    >Run 2, I'll be happy to send one to you. Just email me.

    Thanks, but it's not that at all. Bel's been trying to organize a RGV.Sega
    get together on Xbox Live and one of the games of choice for that is
    Outrun 2. I just have to remember the next time I go game shopping that in
    between picking up RPG's and doomed hardware and repair parts and extra
    controllers that I have to fit in Outrun somewhere.

    -KKC, who has just conquered his Atari 7800 by replacing all the switches.
    And I mean all the switches. Man, did they overengineer the inside of this
    thing or what?
    --
    -- I was treated unfairly and without consideration by eBay - kendrick
    and Paypal. If you require independent testimony about - @io.com
    or corroboration of illegal or questionable business -
    practices by those two companies, please contact me. -
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    benstylus wrote:
    > Green Shampoo wrote:
    >
    >> Are there any games that came under the radar I don't know about?
    >>

    > Just think of the letter B.
    >
    > Billy Hatcher, Beach Spikers, Blood Will Tell... all excellent games,
    > none sequels or remakes, all from Sega.

    Resident Sega fans say Blood Will Tell is an awesome game as well, yet
    the gameplay descriptions, movies, and screens I can find online are all
    very *meh*. What's the deal with it that makes it so good? Oh, and
    Sega's publishing the new Tenchu, if anybody cares. ;)

    --
    Scott

    Game Pilgrimage
    http://users4.ev1.net/~sheath
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    Scott H wrote:

    > Resident Sega fans say Blood Will Tell is an awesome game as well,
    > yet the gameplay descriptions, movies, and screens I can find online are
    > all very *meh*. What's the deal with it that makes it so good? Oh, and
    > Sega's publishing the new Tenchu, if anybody cares. ;)

    It's the story. Tezuka Osamu is a legend in storytelling for very good
    reason.

    That combined with over 50 boss fights. (some of which are REALLY cool)

    The normal gameplay can get a bit repetitive, but it's never so bad that
    it made me want to stop playing.

    It's the first 20+ hour game I've managed to play all the way through in
    quite some time... I think the one before that was Skies of Arcadia on
    the DC.
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    GridIronGhost wrote:
    > Thavash <thavash_g@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > They don't own soccer - Konami's Soccer game is still the best.
    > > I feel sorry for you yanks though - no competition could mean that
    quality
    > > will dip.
    >
    > Dude, does EA not own the Fifa license? Does EA not sell their soccer
    game 8
    > to 1 over Konami's soccer game in Europe? Which is equvelent to the
    bitch
    > slapping EA gives SayGa every year.

    Not the year ESPN outsold Madden on the Xbox tho, right?

    > Konami MAY make a better soccer game
    > (don't know and I don't care about soccer) But EA does OWN soccer
    too!

    Thank god for that! Now you EA cum dumpsters can sleep at night.
    Whew!
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    "GridIronGhost" <GridIronGhost@hotmale.com> wrote in message

    > Thavash <thavash_g@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > They don't own soccer - Konami's Soccer game is still the best.
    > > I feel sorry for you yanks though - no competition could mean that
    quality
    > > will dip.
    >
    > Dude, does EA not own the Fifa license? Does EA not sell their soccer game
    8
    > to 1 over Konami's soccer game in Europe? Which is equvelent to the bitch
    > slapping EA gives SayGa every year. Konami MAY make a better soccer game
    > (don't know and I don't care about soccer) But EA does OWN soccer too!

    Konami's soccer does play better than EA's but not by much.
    You are right though, it out sells it 10 to 1
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    "Kendrick Kerwin Chua" <kendrick@eris.io.com> wrote in message
    >Samurai Jack both got more press (because of the high profile licenses)

    Speaking of Samurai Jack, am I the only one that thinks that Nintendo could
    have saved a lot of trouble over the cel-shading of Wind Waker by making it
    a Samurai Jack game? It would have worked perfectly. The only negative would
    be a lack of a Zelda game coming out and that might have upset fans even
    more than a cel-shaded Zelda (which I, personally, liked, but didn't like
    that it was made fun of as kiddie)

    --
    figmentPez
  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    benstylus wrote:
    > Scott H wrote:
    >

    >> Resident Sega fans say Blood Will Tell is an awesome game as well,
    >> yet the gameplay descriptions, movies, and screens I can find online
    >> are all very *meh*. What's the deal with it that makes it so good?
    >> Oh, and Sega's publishing the new Tenchu, if anybody cares. ;)
    >>

    > It's the story. Tezuka Osamu is a legend in storytelling for very good
    > reason.
    >
    > That combined with over 50 boss fights. (some of which are REALLY cool)
    >
    > The normal gameplay can get a bit repetitive, but it's never so bad that
    > it made me want to stop playing.
    >
    > It's the first 20+ hour game I've managed to play all the way through in
    > quite some time... I think the one before that was Skies of Arcadia on
    > the DC.

    Cool deal, I'll have to pick it up at some point, thanks for the info!

    --
    Scott

    Game Pilgrimage
    http://users4.ev1.net/~sheath
  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    In article <1106016889.676885.152030@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
    richardhutnik@hotmail.com wrote:

    > Yes, fun fun fun. 15 year partnership with ESPN, to have access to
    > their announcers and whatnot. Sega's deal with ESPN runs out next
    > season. It is over folks. EA now owns all professional sports,
    > leaving no one behind.

    ESPN license really wasn't that meaningful. Why are people so big on
    sports games being like TV broadcasts? Who needs virtual Berman?

    Anyways, sports gaming wouldn't be where it is today if not for EA.
    Where were these other companies in the lean years?
  27. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    poldy wrote:

    > Anyways, sports gaming wouldn't be where it is today if not for EA.
    > Where were these other companies in the lean years?

    What do you consider to be the "lean years"?
  28. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    > poldy wrote:
    >>
    >> Anyways, sports gaming wouldn't be where it is today if not for EA.
    >> Where were these other companies in the lean years?
    >
    > What do you consider to be the "lean years"?

    For PC sports gaming, they are right now. Back in the day, PC sports were
    everything and then some. Dr. vs. Bird, Earl Weaver Baseball, Hardball,
    Front Page Football and Baseball... I miss those days.
  29. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    poldy wrote:
    > In article <1106016889.676885.152030@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
    > richardhutnik@hotmail.com wrote:
    >

    >>Yes, fun fun fun. 15 year partnership with ESPN, to have access to
    >>their announcers and whatnot. Sega's deal with ESPN runs out next
    >>season. It is over folks. EA now owns all professional sports,
    >>leaving no one behind.
    >

    > ESPN license really wasn't that meaningful. Why are people so big on
    > sports games being like TV broadcasts? Who needs virtual Berman?
    >
    > Anyways, sports gaming wouldn't be where it is today if not for EA.
    > Where were these other companies in the lean years?

    Competing with EA, the entire time......

    --
    Scott

    Game Pilgrimage
    http://users4.ev1.net/~sheath
  30. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    > Matt, actually the thought of Fox Sports was one option possibly open
    > to Sega. But, what exactly do they broadcast? The problem with losing
    > ESPN, is that there isn't one common theme to unite their games. Maybe
    > they can have TNT for basketball though.
    >
    > - Richard Hutnik

    Fox Sports broadcasts:

    -MLB
    -NFL
    -NCAA Basketball
    -NCAA Football
    -NASCAR
    -ATP Tennis
  31. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    In article <qY0Id.1440$YD5.1187@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
    benstylus <blacklion@juno.com> wrote:

    > poldy wrote:
    > >
    > > Anyways, sports gaming wouldn't be where it is today if not for EA.
    > > Where were these other companies in the lean years?
    >
    > What do you consider to be the "lean years"?

    The Genesis-SNES and PS1-N64-Saturn days didn't seen Madden selling in
    volumes anywhere near where it is today.

    Sports games as a category wasn't nearly as big.
  32. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    "Jamie" <whats_an_email@what.com> wrote in message
    > Yea....looks like they are cornering the market.
    >
    > --

    Cornering the market or whatnot, EA is still going to have to make quality
    football, baseball, and basketball games in order to compete.

    Other companies will certainly be making these types of games; and with all
    the roster editing that goes on, there will not be that much of a difference
    just because EA owns licenses.

    If EA fails to make quality games and games that will sell (the sim market,
    I think, is bigger than the arcade market), they will lose out in the end.

    Alanb

PC gaming Games Video Video Games