EA just killed off videogame sports. Partnershipping with ..

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/sportsbusiness/news/story?id=1969067

Yes, fun fun fun. 15 year partnership with ESPN, to have access to
their announcers and whatnot. Sega's deal with ESPN runs out next
season. It is over folks. EA now owns all professional sports,
leaving no one behind.

Ok, the X-Box group had a post on it, but I am going to say that EA
kills off videogame sports with this move.

- Richard Hutnik

jamie

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2002

Yea....looks like they are cornering the market.

--
Jamie

Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good,
you'll have to ram them down people's throats
....Howard Aiken
<richardhutnik@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/sportsbusiness/news/story?id=1969067
>
> Yes, fun fun fun. 15 year partnership with ESPN, to have access to
> their announcers and whatnot. Sega's deal with ESPN runs out next
> season. It is over folks. EA now owns all professional sports,
> leaving no one behind.
>
> Ok, the X-Box group had a post on it, but I am going to say that EA
> kills off videogame sports with this move.
>
> - Richard Hutnik

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Matt, actually the thought of Fox Sports was one option possibly open
to Sega. But, what exactly do they broadcast? The problem with losing
ESPN, is that there isn't one common theme to unite their games. Maybe
they can have TNT for basketball though.

- Richard Hutnik

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

richardhutnik@hotmail.com wrote:

> It is over folks. EA now owns all professional sports,
> leaving no one behind.
> - Richard Hutnik

The situation isn't as grave as you may imagine it...

Sega / Microsoft / 989 can make games that don't have the ESPN license
on them...

ESPN doesn't own professional sports, they just broadcast and report on
them. EA hasn't yet signed exclusivity deals with the MLB or the NBA or
even the NHL, so there's still plenty of sports franchises to go around.
They just won't have the ESPN logo on them anymore.

Remember Virtua Tennis? World Series Baseball? A game doesn't need the
ESPN name on it to be official.

"benstylus" <blacklion@juno.com> wrote in message
> richardhutnik@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>> It is over folks. EA now owns all professional sports,
>> leaving no one behind.
>> - Richard Hutnik
>
> The situation isn't as grave as you may imagine it...
>
> Sega / Microsoft / 989 can make games that don't have the ESPN license on
> them...

LOL, MS and 989 weren't making games anyway. It has been a 2 horse race for
quite some time now.

> ESPN doesn't own professional sports, they just broadcast and report on
> them. EA hasn't yet signed exclusivity deals with the MLB or the NBA or
> even the NHL, so there's still plenty of sports franchises to go around.
> They just won't have the ESPN logo on them anymore.

What about Fox Sports? CNN? There is nothing wrong with making a quality
game while changing the interface a little.

> Remember Virtua Tennis? World Series Baseball? A game doesn't need the
> ESPN name on it to be official.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

I'm sorry... I just don't see what the big deal is?

Are people worried that EA is going to make lousy games?
>From my own experience, that hasn't been the case. In fact,
it seems to make more sense that a company like EA be in the
driver's seat with their marketing and distribution abilities.

I mean, they'll be able to deliver a (hopefully) high quality product
faster and more to-schedule than most other companies out there.
Am I on the right track or am I just way off on this? Skye? ;o)

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 06:36:27 GMT, benstylus <blacklion@juno.com>
wrote:

>richardhutnik@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>> It is over folks. EA now owns all professional sports,
>> leaving no one behind.
>> - Richard Hutnik
>
>The situation isn't as grave as you may imagine it...
>
>Sega / Microsoft / 989 can make games that don't have the ESPN license
>on them...
>
>ESPN doesn't own professional sports, they just broadcast and report on
>them. EA hasn't yet signed exclusivity deals with the MLB or the NBA or
>even the NHL, so there's still plenty of sports franchises to go around.
> They just won't have the ESPN logo on them anymore.

R.I.P. NHL (1917-2004)

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

They don't own soccer - Konami's Soccer game is still the best.
I feel sorry for you yanks though - no competition could mean that quality
will dip.

wrote:

>Sega / Microsoft / 989 can make games that don't have the ESPN license
>on them...

Microsoft will not make another sports game. They struck a deal with
EA Sports so that all EA games will appear on LIVE. Furthremore,
Microsoft also dumped the Links, Top Spin, and Amped series games
which are now owned by Take Two. TakeTwo may make some team sports
games, and hopefully they will continue to develop Amped, Links, and
Top Spin.

On 18 Jan 2005 06:22:53 -0800, richardhutnik@hotmail.com wrote:

>Matt, actually the thought of Fox Sports was one option possibly open
>to Sega. But, what exactly do they broadcast? The problem with losing
>ESPN, is that there isn't one common theme to unite their games. Maybe
>they can have TNT for basketball though.
>
>- Richard Hutnik

They do not need a media company attached to their sports games since
there is an exclusive deal with the NFL and EA. I think some company
has an opportunity to make a sports series that has no professional
affiliation, and the object is for people to scout and recruit
fictional players in a very deep franchise mode. I personally have
fun play OOTP6 with fictional players.

javajeff. People don't play console sports titles for deep franchise
mode. They like a franchise mode, but they play mostly with others to
beat them at football in an action title first and foremost.

- Richard

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

richardhutnik@hotmail.com wrote:
> http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/sportsbusiness/news/story?id=1969067
>
> Yes, fun fun fun. 15 year partnership with ESPN, to have access to
> their announcers and whatnot. Sega's deal with ESPN runs out next
> season. It is over folks. EA now owns all professional sports,
> leaving no one behind.
>
> Ok, the X-Box group had a post on it, but I am going to say that EA
> kills off videogame sports with this move.
>
> - Richard Hutnik

Naw, but they killed off any hopes, any sane person could have, that
they were a respectable videogame company. If somebody wants to, they
can easily make a better sports title, they just won't be able to sit on
their thumbs and shift millions of units on yearly updates, which isn't
necessarily a bad thing for gamers.
If I were an NFL fan, I wouldn't be anymore. If I were an EA fan, I
wouldn't be anymore. If I were a sports game fan, I would've required
much more from my game of choice than I've seen offered over the last 15
years of updates. I'm still hoping this'll mean that Sega's new
management will be turning to their devs, for ideas on how to make their
goals, and their devs bounce back with "hey, you know, we used to make a
ton of great games every year, how about trying that?"

--
Scott

Game Pilgrimage
http://users4.ev1.net/~sheath

Thavash <thavash_g@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> They don't own soccer - Konami's Soccer game is still the best.
> I feel sorry for you yanks though - no competition could mean that quality
> will dip.

Dude, does EA not own the Fifa license? Does EA not sell their soccer game 8
to 1 over Konami's soccer game in Europe? Which is equvelent to the bitch
slapping EA gives SayGa every year. Konami MAY make a better soccer game
(don't know and I don't care about soccer) But EA does OWN soccer too!

"Scott H" <sheathx013@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> richardhutnik@hotmail.com wrote:
>> http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/sportsbusiness/news/story?id=1969067
>>
>> Yes, fun fun fun. 15 year partnership with ESPN, to have access to
>> their announcers and whatnot. Sega's deal with ESPN runs out next
>> season. It is over folks. EA now owns all professional sports,
>> leaving no one behind.
>>
>> Ok, the X-Box group had a post on it, but I am going to say that EA
>> kills off videogame sports with this move.
>>
>> - Richard Hutnik
>>

> Naw, but they killed off any hopes, any sane person could have, that they
> were a respectable videogame company. If somebody wants to, they can
> easily make a better sports title, they just won't be able to sit on their
> thumbs and shift millions of units on yearly updates, which isn't
> necessarily a bad thing for gamers.
> If I were an NFL fan, I wouldn't be anymore. If I were an EA fan, I
> wouldn't be anymore. If I were a sports game fan, I would've required
> much more from my game of choice than I've seen offered over the last 15
> years of updates. I'm still hoping this'll mean that Sega's new
> management will be turning to their devs, for ideas on how to make their
> goals, and their devs bounce back with "hey, you know, we used to make a
> ton of great games every year, how about trying that?"

I think Sega just isn't going to put out a football game, period. How long
has it been since Sega has put out anything new? Most of the games that get
the attention are remakes, sequels, updates, etc. Are there any games that
came under the radar I don't know about?
I mean, their biggest games (other than sports games) were Jet Set Radio
Future (sequel), Panzer Dragoon Orta (sequel), Sonic Collections, Toe Jam &
Earl 3 (sequel) Shenmue 2 (remake.)
I would be really surprised if Sega even bothered with an NCAA game.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

>Shenmue 2 (remake.)

Erm no it wasnt? Its part of a planned series and the first was as genre
defining as the second. It wasnt a remake at all.

--
----

Xbox Live GT: Lorfarius

"Lorfarius" <fsddsfds@sdfds.com> wrote in message
> >Shenmue 2 (remake.)
>
> Erm no it wasnt? Its part of a planned series and the first was as genre
> defining as the second. It wasnt a remake at all.

My mistake. IIRC, the Xbox release was the North American release of the
game that had been out over a year in Japan already.

Green Shampoo wrote:
> Are there any games that
> came under the radar I don't know about?

Just think of the letter B.

Billy Hatcher, Beach Spikers, Blood Will Tell... all excellent games,
none sequels or remakes, all from Sega.

In article <a3iHd.1626$Ju1.1604@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
benstylus <blacklion@juno.com> wrote:
>Green Shampoo wrote:
>> Are there any games that
>> came under the radar I don't know about?
>
>Just think of the letter B.
>
>Billy Hatcher, Beach Spikers, Blood Will Tell... all excellent games,
>none sequels or remakes, all from Sega.

As long as we're on the subject of Sega games, why wasn't there more buzz
about Spy Fiction, the Headhunter sequel or Otogi 2? Astro Boy and Samurai
Jack both got more press (because of the high profile licenses) but both
yielded disappointing games. If things turn out well over the next few
weeks, I'm going to get an N-gage and Sega's online strategy game Pocket
Kingdom. And yeah, Bel will send a hit man after me if I don't pick up
Outrun 2.

Good time to be a gamer. Bad time to be Electronic Arts. They're going
down and we're gonna have a party when their stock gets delisted.

-KKC, who will be able to die a happy man after being able to put a foot
against the head of the man who shot Jam Master Jay.
--
-- I was treated unfairly and without consideration by eBay - kendrick
and Paypal. If you require independent testimony about - @io.com

Kendrick Kerwin Chua wrote:
> In article <a3iHd.1626$Ju1.1604@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
> benstylus <blacklion@juno.com> wrote:
>
>>Green Shampoo wrote:
>>
>>>Are there any games that
>>>came under the radar I don't know about?
>>
>>Just think of the letter B.
>>
>>Billy Hatcher, Beach Spikers, Blood Will Tell... all excellent games,
>>none sequels or remakes, all from Sega.
>

> As long as we're on the subject of Sega games, why wasn't there more buzz
> about Spy Fiction, the Headhunter sequel or Otogi 2?

Spy Fiction was a Sammy game. Sega's logo isn't anywhere on the box.
The Headhunter Sequel was quite disappointing for a lot of people (I'm
enjoying it, but I'm having to work hard to do so). Otogi 2 got about
as much buzz as the original - i.e. not much at all.

> Astro Boy and Samurai
> Jack both got more press (because of the high profile licenses) but both
> yielded disappointing games. If things turn out well over the next few
> weeks, I'm going to get an N-gage and Sega's online strategy game Pocket
> Kingdom.

Man, I love Pocket Kingdom. Almost worth buying an N-Gage for. But if
you're getting a phone, you may as well get the N-Gage so you can play
the game.

> And yeah, Bel will send a hit man after me if I don't pick up
> Outrun 2.

If you're having that much difficulty setting aside the money for Out
Run 2, I'll be happy to send one to you. Just email me.

In article <5CjHd.1695$Ju1.1400@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
benstylus <blacklion@juno.com> wrote:
>Kendrick Kerwin Chua wrote:
<snip>
> > And yeah, Bel will send a hit man after me if I don't pick up
>> Outrun 2.
>
>If you're having that much difficulty setting aside the money for Out
>Run 2, I'll be happy to send one to you. Just email me.

Thanks, but it's not that at all. Bel's been trying to organize a RGV.Sega
get together on Xbox Live and one of the games of choice for that is
Outrun 2. I just have to remember the next time I go game shopping that in
between picking up RPG's and doomed hardware and repair parts and extra
controllers that I have to fit in Outrun somewhere.

-KKC, who has just conquered his Atari 7800 by replacing all the switches.
And I mean all the switches. Man, did they overengineer the inside of this
thing or what?
--

benstylus wrote:
> Green Shampoo wrote:
>
>> Are there any games that came under the radar I don't know about?
>>

> Just think of the letter B.
>
> Billy Hatcher, Beach Spikers, Blood Will Tell... all excellent games,
> none sequels or remakes, all from Sega.

Resident Sega fans say Blood Will Tell is an awesome game as well, yet
the gameplay descriptions, movies, and screens I can find online are all
very *meh*. What's the deal with it that makes it so good? Oh, and
Sega's publishing the new Tenchu, if anybody cares. ;)

--
Scott

Game Pilgrimage
http://users4.ev1.net/~sheath

Scott H wrote:

> Resident Sega fans say Blood Will Tell is an awesome game as well,
> yet the gameplay descriptions, movies, and screens I can find online are
> all very *meh*. What's the deal with it that makes it so good? Oh, and
> Sega's publishing the new Tenchu, if anybody cares. ;)

It's the story. Tezuka Osamu is a legend in storytelling for very good
reason.

That combined with over 50 boss fights. (some of which are REALLY cool)

The normal gameplay can get a bit repetitive, but it's never so bad that
it made me want to stop playing.

It's the first 20+ hour game I've managed to play all the way through in
quite some time... I think the one before that was Skies of Arcadia on
the DC.

GridIronGhost wrote:
> Thavash <thavash_g@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > They don't own soccer - Konami's Soccer game is still the best.
> > I feel sorry for you yanks though - no competition could mean that
quality
> > will dip.
>
> Dude, does EA not own the Fifa license? Does EA not sell their soccer
game 8
> to 1 over Konami's soccer game in Europe? Which is equvelent to the
bitch
> slapping EA gives SayGa every year.

Not the year ESPN outsold Madden on the Xbox tho, right?

> Konami MAY make a better soccer game
> (don't know and I don't care about soccer) But EA does OWN soccer
too!

Thank god for that! Now you EA cum dumpsters can sleep at night.
Whew!

"GridIronGhost" <GridIronGhost@hotmale.com> wrote in message

> Thavash <thavash_g@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > They don't own soccer - Konami's Soccer game is still the best.
> > I feel sorry for you yanks though - no competition could mean that
quality
> > will dip.
>
> Dude, does EA not own the Fifa license? Does EA not sell their soccer game
8
> to 1 over Konami's soccer game in Europe? Which is equvelent to the bitch
> slapping EA gives SayGa every year. Konami MAY make a better soccer game
> (don't know and I don't care about soccer) But EA does OWN soccer too!

Konami's soccer does play better than EA's but not by much.
You are right though, it out sells it 10 to 1

"Kendrick Kerwin Chua" <kendrick@eris.io.com> wrote in message
>Samurai Jack both got more press (because of the high profile licenses)

Speaking of Samurai Jack, am I the only one that thinks that Nintendo could
have saved a lot of trouble over the cel-shading of Wind Waker by making it
a Samurai Jack game? It would have worked perfectly. The only negative would
be a lack of a Zelda game coming out and that might have upset fans even
more than a cel-shaded Zelda (which I, personally, liked, but didn't like
that it was made fun of as kiddie)

--
figmentPez